1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
He still uses some... interesting... language. The use of "claims" instead of "stated" adds a questionable connotation to the Volt owner's (George) statement that he hasn't been to a gas station until Labor Day.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Until I filled the tank in advance of the approaching storm, I hadn't been to a gas station since March. However, my tire pressure had dropped along with a recent drop in temperature so yesterday afternoon I asked the officer controlling access to the gas station in town if I needed to wait in the gas line to use the air pump. After being waived ahead I parked so that those approaching the gas pumps could get a good look at the Volt logo. I figured that maybe it would give someone an idea.

KNS

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like that sentence the best... "Once he installed the generator after the October 2011 storm, George claims he didn't visit a gas station until Labor Day."

It's normal to have reporters write this way when it's on a topic they are truly unfamiliar with. It sounds real "old-timey", like we are back in the turn of the last century reading an article in the local tabloid interviewing a guy who owns the towns only "horseless carriage" during a horse feed shortage.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
like we are back in the turn of the last century reading an article in the local tabloid interviewing a guy who owns the towns only "horseless carriage" during a horse feed shortage.
In fact, this is the guy who owns the town's only "horseless carriage" during the horse feed shortage.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Brings up an interesting question. If grid power is not available, is a NG powered generator better or worse than just burning gas in the Volt? We know it's better than a gas fueled generator but NG?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Brings up an interesting question. If grid power is not available, is a NG powered generator better or worse than just burning gas in the Volt? We know it's better than a gas fueled generator but NG?
Better than waiting in line at the gas stations? Yes.
Cheaper than running on gas? Hard to say, someone would have to run the numbers.
Greener than running on gas? I would guess yes, but again, we'd have to run the numbers.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Greener than running on gas? I would guess yes, but again, we'd have to run the numbers.
That is an interesting question, but it would be really difficult to assess. Especially since the information we have about well-to-pump energy requirements is questionable, at best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Living in central/shore NJ and riding out a crazy fuel situation here last week- I got a sense of things. First off- the Escalade got parked. Secondly, I learned that you can't syphon fuel from newer vehicles! I had planned to use the Escalade as a gas "storage tank" but that plan went away when we couldn't syphon. Our power was out for 11 days here; so in addition to powering our fridge, and sending current to our gas fired furnace, and some lights- we charged the Volt off the generator and used it as our vehicle to get around (mostly to purchase gas for said generator, get to cleaning up around our business, and helping others).

The best part of it all was not having to wait on gas lines for the car, and not having the anxiety of thinking we would run out and be stuck.

Hard to "run the numbers" per se as the generator was not only charging the Volt, it was running the fridge and some other devices, but we got about 10-11 hours runtime on 5 gallons of gas on the generator; figuring in an avg 40 Miles/charge (i was only charging 110- I didnt want to overload the generator); the math is not that good. I did consider charging at 240 (had generator tapped into fuse box in basement and could have powered that charger) but I didnt want to chance overloading the setup and break something- safety first!). My buddy told me we had plenty of wattage to charge the car at 240- which would clearly change the equation in that a full charge could be had in 4 hours instead of 11. Still and all- i was HAPPY to have the option of skipping fuel for the cars over the last 10 days!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've been on generator since monday the 29th, save for about 30hrs. I have not plugged in my Volt for a couple reasons.

First, I'm a little concerned about the quality of the power coming out of my Generac 5500. The furnace does not like it at all and a UPS trips every few minutes.

Second, I assume it takes far more gas to run the generator to charge the car than to simply run the car. My generator is rated to run 10hours on 7 gallons at 1/2 load. By my math, it takes nearly 5 hours to generate 13kwh, so 3.3 generator gallons to go 40 miles or about 12mpg. Not so great.

HOWEVER, the cheaper non-inverter generators have to wail away at 3600rpm all day long and my base load is under 1000W or so. I've run it 15hr w/o running out of gas. It's entirely possible that charging at 800w may not really invoke a linear penalty as it may put the generator into a more efficient operational point. The marginal cost, measured in gasoline, might be much smaller than the 3.3 calculated above but I have no reasonable way to test this.

My neighbor has a nice Honda generator-inverter, that's rated to put out 2000W for 4 hours on one gallon, or 8kWh/gallon, which, all things considered, doesn't seem so bad. Honestly, it seems a little optimistic. If true, charging using his generator would net out at around 25mpg.

EDIT: It would certainly be interesting to do the math with a natural gas setup. I've noticed it's possible to convert most generators to NG.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
He still uses some... interesting... language. The use of "claims" instead of "stated" adds a questionable connotation to the Volt owner's (George) statement that he hasn't been to a gas station until Labor Day.
That may just be standard lingo for journalists. Ever noticed how when somebody commits a crime and they are caught red-handed, on video, with witnesses, apprehended and sitting in jail, the media still calls him the "suspect" simply because he hasn't been found guilty in court yet. Obviously they are not a suspect, they are a perpetrator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts