GM Volt Forum banner

Good sources for FRESH & STRONG fob batteries?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ericc 
#1 ·
I've read on here how easy it is to buy a fob battery that turns out to be old. Where are good sources (online or local retail) to ensure I am buying a single fresh CR2032? And is ACDelco any better than other brands?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I think you pays your money and you takes your chances. The best bet is mass merchandisers like Wal-Mart etc. that have more through put. On-line you have no idea, could be mass marketer or a hole in the wall.

#8 ·
I bought lithium AA Energizer via an Amazon 'seller'. I was tracking the length of time they lasted in the device vs alkaline (yes device manual said lithiums were OK to be used). They were not lasting nearly as long as others reported. I contacted Energizer and it was painful to get them replaced. Only replace what you could take a picture of remaining one, even with lot number, etc. Finally, a coupon was provided and replacement ones at Target were excellent and vastly superior in lasting. My theory was batteries were stored/transported in heat.

Good topic tho as I need to replace a FOB battery.

#5 ·
That might be a good source as well as one of the ones here that sell Panasonic (at least in common types) are occasionally sold out indicating a good through put.

#6 ·
One of the biggest tricks is to wipe the button cell(s) down well with rubbing alcohol and make absolutely sure that there are no oils/contaminates from your hands. I don’t know why it makes such a difference with button cells vs other types of batteries but I’ve found that it does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I buy packs of 3 or 5 Sony branded ones on eBay, usually for about the price of a single one at the local store. Even if I don't put them in anything for a year or so, they seem to last forever. Think I've only changed the ones in my EV's key fobs once in 6+ years

Don

#10 ·
I did not see a best if used by date on the 2 pkg's I have but at least it says to not eat them.

Keep a 2 pack in the glove box- they have a long shelf-life if not used --

these 2032 batteries are the same as most computer motherboards and when did you last change that battery ?

#13 ·
We used to change them every now and again in years past but I suspect the current CMOS chips are pretty efficient these days and use little juice. And we did clean them with propanol (lab grade) and handle them carefully with rags to prevent finger oil from getting on them.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for these ideas, and that rubbing alcohol tip!

I bought the car a week ago (2015), and already one fob's buttons are not being recognized, and the car is giving me a "replace fob battery" message for the other. Sigh. I am really crossing my fingers this is only about fobs, as there are some horror stories on here about non-recognized fob issues that become endless hunts for the cause that I hope are confined to 2012s and 2017s...

#15 ·
I store the battery for my extra FOB outside the case - tested it after 3 years and 7 years as the car went in for service.

----
I though when I licked the 3.3 volt battery to do a quick voltage and leak check that would clean it as well :)

#16 ·
You could buy them off of DigiKey as well. We use a lot of them at work, so that's where we source them from.
When I'm in a pinch and my fob battery dies outside of work, I just grab one from a local retailer. Duracells seem to hold up pretty well for me, the dollar store Sunbeam ones tend to be hit or miss.

#18 ·
Target online pickup for me. Batteries worked well. Got a 2 pack and replaced both key fobs. The online price at the time was lower than the in-store price.

I paid $2-3 for my two pack of batteries which is much less than the in store price. My opinion is to look for a good deal on the batteries at a convenient location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.