GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm seriously considering upgrading to a 2018 Volt Premier and started looking around at prices for a car with:

1. Silver Ice Metalic
  2. Driver Confidence I & II
  3. Adaptive Cruise Control
  4. (Optional) Illuminated Charge Port LPO
  5. (Optional) Interior Protection Package LPO

I did the standard steps of:

1. Email local dealers to get out-the-door (including TX sales tax) price quotes
  2. Search Autotrader.com nationally for best prices, request out-the-door price quotes, and add estimated shipping charges
  3. Same for cars.com

I'm getting out-the-door quotes between $40,000 and $42,000 so far (including 6.25% Texas sales tax) - even when they list much lower prices on Autotrader (apparently having factored in state rebates into their price).

Does that fit others' recent experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's hard to know what TX taxes do to the deal, but I think you should be looking at at least $5-6k off of sticker as a store discount, plus whatever factory incentives are available, especially as year's end approaches. I just bought a Bolt from Keyes Chevy, 850 miles away from my home, at $5500 below invoice; it might be a good idea for you to call General Manager Rick Alpern, the GM there and get a quote. I suspect that he'll beat your TX deal, even with the cost of transportation to you figured in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got a very similar kinetic blue 2017, sans the interior protection package (I got Weathertec mats and am way happy with them!) and I got it for $36,000 out the door with Pa sales tax being 6%. I did have a $3,000 private offer and it was in July so the 18's were coming out soon. MSRP was $40,920. Before tax and fees was $33,920. And that did not include the $7,500 federal credit or $1,000 state rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I wish folks would not list the "OTD" price, there are too many variables. Please just list the asking price of the vehicle itself minus ANY additional fees etc.

I got $4500 off MSRP on my 2017 Premier with DC I/II, ACC and paint in Aug 2016, it list for $40,920. Think I did pretty good considering it was a newly minted 2017 with ACC. So I paid $36,420. Then got the full $7500 Federal Tax Credit bring my final cost down to $28,920. That's my basis for comparison.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Premier with ACC this week. The MSRP was $40095.00 and I negotiated to $35000.00. Out the door price is with tax, license and fees bring the price back up to about $39000.00. I will get tax incentives and rebates that will reduce my cost by about $10000. I paid tax and license on the full amount though.

I agree that you should get at least $5000 off MSRP. Ask for $6000 off MSRP but be prepared for them to decline and if that happens you can suggest another price or just wait.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a 2018 premier last Friday for $5k off MSRP in Dallas. If you're willing to drive up to DFW, I know there is a Silver Ice 2018 fitting your description at Jerry's in Weatherford, TX. They quoted me $36.8k for it via email (that'd be somewhere north of $39k with tax, assuming no trade) and I'm betting you could get it cheaper (my understanding is they're more of a rural truck dealer and would like to unload it). This is not a ad or endorsement for Jerry's as I've merely had email contact with one of their sales people, nothing more. I ended up purchasing my Volt from a different dealer in the area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll let you know how it goes.

Rick Alpern at Keyes didn't have any matching Volts in stock, but he gave me some good info and advice - much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Jason,

Based on my personal experience over the past couple of weeks, I would recommend Capitol Chevrolet. I would suggest that you avoid AutoNation at all costs.

I won't get too much into pricing as my GM discount came into play, but Capitol worked with me on my trade-in (2015 GMC Canyon).

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you're a Costco member (before October, 2017), you can get Supplier Pricing and a big Costco cash card when you purchase a new Volt!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Last month I got 15% off MSRP, NOT including the $1k private offer that was mailed to me.

However, this was on a new '17. My guess is it's harder to deal on '18s.

Also, it was harder to get a smokin' deal on Volts this time around (compared to when I bought a Gen 1), because it seems GM is more tightly constraining supply. Last time, I was able to compare similarly-equipped Gen 1 Volts among nearby dealerships easily, but really had only one within a 300 miles radius that I wanted this time around with Gen 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
0% financing

Thanks for all the information. One question - has anyone negotiated 3-5k off MRSP and also gotten the 0% 60 month financing? I'm meeting with a dealer tomorrow am on a '17 Premier with ACC and hoping to get that deal. Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks for all the information. One question - has anyone negotiated 3-5k off MRSP and also gotten the 0% 60 month financing? I'm meeting with a dealer tomorrow am on a '17 Premier with ACC and hoping to get that deal. Thanks.
I got 15% off + the GM "0%" financing (with a caveat).

When I asked for the 0% at first, the finance guy said "well now you're not eligible for $2500 in rebates in order to get the 0%" (in other words, adding $2500 to the negotiated price). I then called in my salesman and said "hey I thought you said I could get the 0%, but it might cost me a $1000" (still better than any other 5-year financing deal I had already shopped--gets it to an equivalent of a 1% rate).

The finance guy leaves the room all dramatic, saying "let me see what I can do." Guess what? He came back in and did it for a $1000.

So, according to GM Financial, I have a 0% rate, but I view it as basically a 1% deal. YMMV.

Be prepared to negotiate in the finance office--dealerships have lots of room to play with here. Unfortunately, this type of experience turns people off to car buying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Premier Loaded

Hi Jason,
I recently purchased a new 2018 Volt Premier (Mosaic Black) with driver confidence I & II, adaptive cruise and navigation. MRSP was $40,590 for a negotiated sale price $36,320 + tax/title/doc fee (two weeks ago). So that was $4,270 off MRSP and I will get the $700 Costco card via the (executive member) in addition ($5,020 off MRSP, if you count that). That takes 4+ weeks to get.

I also opted for the 75K warranty extension to the bumper to bumper from Chevy for $1,800 more (initially was offered at $2,850 by the finance guy). This is in Iowa. I put 10% down. (Sales Price $36,320 + $1,812 tax + $164 license + $25 title + $75 doc fee + $1800 extended warranty minus $3850 down = $36,270)

I hope that helps you. I think the average deal on True Car[/URL] for a premiere was $2K off MRSP. I had to bounce it off a number of dealers to get to this number. I think with the Bolt release Volt sales are down a bit so might be a nice opportunity to buy.

Of note, if you do the Costco thing, you later get a 50% off coupon for accessories which I plan to use for all weather floor mats and the illuminated charge port (planning to self install with the instructions on this forum) if that opens up more options for you. Also, I just bought a $320 level 2 charger (Amazing-E brand on Amazon) for my garage (using a 220 volt, 30 AMP dryer circuit.) which I would also recommend if you have the option, as the one offered by Chevy is a bit more than most people need IMO. BTW - I am loving the Volt so far! Great car!

Happy negotiating!:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update: I bought a loaded 2018 Volt Premier out-of-state for ~ $6500 off MSRP (which included a GM Family code from my GM-retired uncle).

However, I'll have to pay ~$800 to ship it home - and dealing with auto shippers is a new experience for me.

A strange plus - I'll get a TZEV (aka Enhanced AT-PZEV) emissions vehicle even though they aren't sold in my state.

Also, thanks to Rick @ Keyes Chevrolet for great pricing info even though they didn't have what I wanted in stock and he knew I'd have to buy from a different dealer.

Now to sell my 2014 Volt Premium...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Red 2018 Volt with everything but ACC $4300 below MSRP and No Tax on the first $32,000 (WA State incentive)
This is another $3,200 discount. Saved $7,500 plus the $7,500 Fed tax rebate.
Plus a $300 Costco cash card (total of $15,300 in discounts)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wish I had read this thread before I went shopping. $3,000 below MSRP wasn't enough.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wish I had read this thread before I went shopping. $3,000 below MSRP wasn't enough.
Don't feel bad. I got a similar deal to yours this month. It is hard to find dealers in the midwest that bargain like some of the higher volume dealers on the coast or in CARB states. That is one of the genius of the Tesla model, theoretically everyone pays the same, less state incentives. With conventional dealers, it seems to be anything goes. Sometimes my time is worth more than haggling every penny from a dozen different dealers. I do hope for more transparent/consistent pricing in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts