GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have looked around for some less expensive Volt disc brake covers but $179 seems to be about the cheapest for the fitted ones (various colors available) - these are the ones that fit a particular car model as opposed to the cheap $12.99 "universal" ones.

Anyone know why these simple metallic, powder coated covers are so expensive and where to find less expensive versions?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have looked around for some less expensive Volt disc brake covers but $179 seems to be about the cheapest for the fitted ones (various colors available) - these are the ones that fit a particular car model as opposed to the cheap $12.99 "universal" ones.

Anyone know why these simple metallic, powder coated covers are so expensive and where to find less expensive versions?
I'm guessing that's what the market will bear. Pretty sure I would just paint them myself if I really wanted to. Saw a youtube video where this guy spent $800.00 the have his Tesla calipers painted red. That wouldn't be near the top of my list if I had $800 burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm guessing that's what the market will bear. Pretty sure I would just paint them myself if I really wanted to. Saw a youtube video where this guy spent $800.00 the have his Tesla calipers painted red. That wouldn't be near the top of my list if I had $800 burning a hole in my pocket.
Probably powder coated, not painted. And if some professionally, the caliper gets taken completely apart before coating.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Probably powder coated, not painted. And if some professionally, the caliper gets taken completely apart before coating.
Maybe power coated, it could also just be paint. Guy in the video says paint. He also looked into replacing the calipers with red ones (cost about $2300) Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it was even move if completely disassembled, etc. Unless I was replacing them for some mechanical reason, I'd be inclined to leave them alone and spend the money on something else.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are not replacement calipers but bolt-on covers. They cost $179-$199 on Ebay and other places and are designed to fit particular cars.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
These are not replacement calipers but bolt-on covers. They cost $179-$199 on Ebay and other places and are designed to fit particular cars.
I know. That’s why I said what I said. I can’t believe they are even half that much with how silly and cheap they look.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Volt brakes are barely ever used. I wouldn't put covers on mine (don't care for the fake look) but any cheap painted one will do as the paint won't be affected by the heat.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
I painted my Volt calipers with a "G2" $37 epoxy kit via TireRack. 7+ years later the paint still looks good. Did my Bolt the same way.

Prep is key. They include a spray can of brake cleaner to prepare the metal. Then you mix the paint and brush. It goes on thick and self smooths very well. I like the little splash of color. Must be from my days building plastic model cars as a kid and painting the engine block, etc. YMMV

Bolt EV caliper paint front.jpg

Here's my post with pictures: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?298042-Bolt-EV-faster-with-red-calipers

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Looks good. Lots of work compared to bolting on some covers though ...
it is,,I'm doing 4 calipers for my truck.I have them off and in the basement for paint,boring black.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Did the same as Steverino with Duplicolor kit for $32 Cdn. from Canadian Tire (one more wheel to go). At the same time I'm cleaning the alloys, removing the corrosion on back of spokes and painting the back of the alloy with graphite wheel paint at about $10 per wheel. Takes a few days (retired) but what else are you going to do? Watch TV?

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
Looks good. Lots of work compared to bolting on some covers though ...
And you also said, "Anyone know .... where to find less expensive versions?" :)

$37 is 5X less expensive than $179-$200. And many colors to choose from. But now you have a choice.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
painting the back of the alloy with graphite wheel paint at about $10 per wheel.
After my first summer, I went to remove my aluminum wheels to change over the winter snows. The alloys had become fused to the steel via galvanic action. Took a bit of "persuading" to get them lose. To prevent that, I used a cotton Qtip and applied a very light film of Permatex Anti-seize to the hub surface of the alloy wheel. I've never had a problem since. A 3" long tube of the stuff is like $4. I have a lifetime supply now, lol.

Thought I'd need to reapply every year but it looks like every 4 years is fine.

Bolt EV wheel anti-sieze tubw and applicator.jpg Bolt EV wheel anti-seize application.jpg

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
After my first summer, I went to remove my aluminum wheels to change over the winter snows. The alloys had become fused to the steel via galvanic action. Took a bit of "persuading" to get them lose. To prevent that, I used a cotton Qtip and applied a very light film of Permatex Anti-seize to the hub surface of the alloy wheel. I've never had a problem since. A 3" long tube of the stuff is like $4. I have a lifetime supply now, lol.

View attachment 156347 View attachment 156349
The right rear was like that (front right to go), had to give it a few hard raps with a rubber mallet. I have done that in the past on other cars I thought I'd try putting some car polish on the hub and the mating surface on the wheel to see how it works. Don't put on a lot of miles but it looks like (from front to rear tire wear) I'll be rotating the tires every spring so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And you also said, "Anyone know .... where to find less expensive versions?" :)

$37 is 5X less expensive than $179-$200. And many colors to choose from. But now you have a choice.
I always had the choice of painting or covers. Painting is a less expensive way to get the look but not a less expensive cover (version).

But the suggestion is appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts

View attachment 156347 View attachment 156349
Don't they get removed every time the tires get rotated? For me is every 6-7 months and I only drive about 15k miles a year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts