GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a used 2017 premier with 2600 miles with these options listed:
Comfort Package
Driver Confidence II Package,
Driver Confidence Package,
Navigation System,
Preferred Equipment Group 2LZ.

Online it is listed for $30,999. I realize that is probably a good deal based on options and mileage, but my question and decision really hinges on the Fed/State tax topic.

1. Does the original owner still get to claim the fed and/or state tax credit for 2016 taxes if they do not own the car anymore?
2. If they are able to still claim it, but they registered and claimed the state tax credit in a different state than I am going to purchase and register in, can I still claim the state credit?

I had basically decided to wait for a 20% discount deal before purchasing, but if I can claim some tax credits on this or the negotiated price, I might just pull the trigger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This does not look like a good deal. You should be able to get a brand new Volt with those options for less than $38.5K, which is what would be the same price as this used one after you account for the $7.5K tax credit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not in Colorado for 2016. They are changing the law starting 2017, so that dealerships can just take the tax credit off the price of the vehicle at time of purchase and are also changing it so it is only for new vehicles only, not used.

But currently you can claim the credit on a used vehicle.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Income67.pdf - states "The purchase of a used vehicle may qualify if the vehicle’s prior owner did not initially title and register it in Colorado. A vehicle history report must be submitted with any credit claim for the purchase of a used vehicle."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my initial thought as well but this way my overall loan amount is smaller and I don't have to mess with the IRS.

But honestly, it is only going to work out if this car was not registered in my state, otherwise, you are correct, I might as well just buy a new one and claim all credits myself.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Based on my deal on a new 2017 Premiere, it doesn't look very good at all!

MSRP $39,545.00 (Window sticker in signature block)
Store Discount -$4,500.00
Mfg Discount -$1,500.00
Educator Disc -$785.00
Dealer Delivery $399.00
Cash Cost $33,159.00
Fed Credit -$7,500.00
Total $25,659.00
CO Credit -$6,000.00
$19,659.00

1 - 7 of 7 Posts