GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done posts on these issues separately, but I'll bring them together in one place for any ideas to point the dealer in the right direction if needed. I'm going in next week. The history:

On June 16, I had the dealer do the auto-off recall and a reset of HPCM#2 to address "not able to charge" at public chargers. The radio was also replaced with a "new" (refurbished) one.

Prior to the visit, I was getting 48-49 EV range regularly on usual roads and routes.

I collected data for one month from August to September based on suggestions from the board. My "new" average is 42.8.

Here are additional NEW issues:

1) "Charge Complete" estimate has been off upwards of 3 hours (car completes three hours earlier).
2) At least 3 "partial charges" have created wacky results with the range estimator "jumping up" (in one case almost 20 ev miles all the way to 60 where I also lost regen as the car dumped electricity).
3) Car regularly "loses" 7 EV miles when parked unplugged for over 30 minutes. Additional exploration revealed this is not due to the TMS.
4) For what it's worth, the kWh used now averages 9.7(but as low as 9.1), where it was generally 10.3-10.5.
5) Car displayed propulsion power reduced message one time upon starting. Problem not repeated and dealer visit showed no faults.
6) Range estimator is off by upwards of 6-7 EV miles. From my 30 day data collection, the average is 49--but I've never even touched 49. (Average is 42.8). What's strange is that this time last year, 49 would be completely understandable and closer to what I would get. It's like the car "knows" it can get there, but just can't deliver.

These are all new issues since the updates. Of course, there are no codes and, while my dealership is great, they are usually at a loss to deal with "out-of-the-box" problems that don't create a fault.

Are there any particular tests I can ask the dealer to perform that may shed some light? Or perhaps some kind of other "reset" to get things back to being more reliable?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I sorry that I don't remember this, but, have you brought a Volt Advisor on board? Perhaps a request by them for GM engineering help might be in order.

This is a strange problem and one that would be of interest to GM engineering, I would think.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Volt Advisor is in the loop -- I went to them first to get a full record, open a case, etc. They should coordinate with the GM Tech team and the dealership.

It's almost as if there is some kind of "bug" in the software that only shows up on partial charges. For example, if I drive the car after a full charge--without stopping--in one shot on battery I get the expected range. However, when the battery is between 10-35 miles remaining EV range drops when parked unplugged. Similarly, if I only get a partial opportunity charge I get the weird range estimator going haywire. It was also on a partial charge that the PPR message showed up. It's like somewhere the car it is misreading the SOC on partial charges.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Being a software guy I always say the problem is hardware. Disconnect the negative 12v battery cable for ten minutes and then reconnect it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being a software guy I always say the problem is hardware. Disconnect the negative 12v battery cable for ten minutes and then reconnect it.
Does this reset the range estimator? If I have no luck with the dealer this could be something to try.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick question brilliant Volt fans, dealer Volt tech says he's not getting any "good answers" from GM tech with providing diagnostic help. I've got a bad feeling where this may be going. Car is still in the shop and dealership is trying to go up the chain to see if there is any additional help. Should I suggest a battery health check (and a written report showing true usable kWh) or some other procedure? Is there a way to do a simple "reboot" of the instruments to maybe get them a little more accurate? Not really sure where to go here since I don't have any idea what's causing these issues.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update -- got a message that there were some "internal faults" in the battery coolant system that they are chasing down, and that they are going to replace the charge port. The car is still in the shop (going on day 4--but this is typical since the shop has only one Volt tech shared with another dealership). My goal is to get a printout of the codes and solutions and share it with the group to help any others with this condition. Hoping this fixes it and the car starts acting normally again!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The "issues" you describe the dealer chasing in your last post don't really align with your concerns. That's a concern.

But since these issues apparently appeared shortly after you had HPCM2 updated, I feel they may not have correctly followed the SI document (Document ID: 3823816) when doing the reprogramming.
The final step reads:

"5. With a scan tool, select Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Charging Adaptive Learn Reset in the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 Reset Functions menu and follow the on-screen instructions."

This must be done following the reprogramming to trigger the HPCM2 to properly re-establish statistical baselines used in the calculation of SOC as well as charging.

HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've done posts on these issues separately, but I'll bring them together in one place for any ideas to point the dealer in the right direction if needed. I'm going in next week. The history:

On June 16, I had the dealer do the auto-off recall and a reset of HPCM#2 to address "not able to charge" at public chargers. The radio was also replaced with a "new" (refurbished) one.

Prior to the visit, I was getting 48-49 EV range regularly on usual roads and routes.

I collected data for one month from August to September based on suggestions from the board. My "new" average is 42.8.

Here are additional NEW issues:

1) "Charge Complete" estimate has been off upwards of 3 hours (car completes three hours earlier).
2) At least 3 "partial charges" have created wacky results with the range estimator "jumping up" (in one case almost 20 ev miles all the way to 60 where I also lost regen as the car dumped electricity).
3) Car regularly "loses" 7 EV miles when parked unplugged for over 30 minutes. Additional exploration revealed this is not due to the TMS.
4) For what it's worth, the kWh used now averages 9.7(but as low as 9.1), where it was generally 10.3-10.5.
5) Car displayed propulsion power reduced message one time upon starting. Problem not repeated and dealer visit showed no faults.
6) Range estimator is off by upwards of 6-7 EV miles. From my 30 day data collection, the average is 49--but I've never even touched 49. (Average is 42.8). What's strange is that this time last year, 49 would be completely understandable and closer to what I would get. It's like the car "knows" it can get there, but just can't deliver.

These are all new issues since the updates. Of course, there are no codes and, while my dealership is great, they are usually at a loss to deal with "out-of-the-box" problems that don't create a fault.

Are there any particular tests I can ask the dealer to perform that may shed some light? Or perhaps some kind of other "reset" to get things back to being more reliable?
I have two 2013 Volts and have experienced some of the same problems almost exactly as you have described in both of them since the update. I experienced the following issue numbers as you have listed: 1 (only once), 3, 4, 6

I took it into the shop for 4 days. They cannot find the problem. There has to be a problem with that update and they just won't admit it or find it. This latest change has been the most frustrating. It just wont go as far after the latest update and like you said in number 4 the kWh is always about 9.5 instead of being around 10.5 or higher.

I think they made a change to the lower end on how much they will allow the battery to go down to or how much charge it will allow at the top end. It seems to be the only explanation.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "issues" you describe the dealer chasing in your last post don't really align with your concerns. That's a concern.

But since these issues apparently appeared shortly after you had HPCM2 updated, I feel they may not have correctly followed the SI document (Document ID: 3823816) when doing the reprogramming.
The final step reads:

"5. With a scan tool, select Hybrid/EV Battery Pack Charging Adaptive Learn Reset in the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 Reset Functions menu and follow the on-screen instructions."

This must be done following the reprogramming to trigger the HPCM2 to properly re-establish statistical baselines used in the calculation of SOC as well as charging.

HTH
WopOnTour
This is a great piece of advice. I'm going to share this with the Volt Advisor and insist on a confirmation that this was followed. It's still in the shop.

Really appreciate the tip and its specificity. If it works, maybe it will help 2VoltFamily also.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts

The final step reads:

HTH
WopOnTour
Where's the rep button?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried. No way they can confirm whether or not this last step was followed back in June. Assuming it was not (I really have no idea), would it eventually relearn these values and get back to some assemblage of "normal?" Still waiting on it--replacing the charge receptacle and the part is on back order.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
With all this run-around, surely it would be simpler for them to just reflash all software and make sure they follow all steps?

Then if it persists, they know it's not that...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's unlikely that a Volt Adviser can determine if a step wasn't followed in the past.

I would, however, print and hand deliver WopOnTour 's suggestion to your service adviser at your dealership, or if the service adviser isn't helpful, get it to the service manager. WOT is almost never wrong about these things.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
With all this run-around, surely it would be simpler for them to just reflash all software and make sure they follow all steps?

Then if it persists, they know it's not that...
That would be the process...
WOT

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick update, stopped by the dealer today (been almost 3 weeks in a rental), and I got a deeper explanation for what they are doing. Basically, the GM techs believe there is an issue with the charge receptacle--"causing" the car to think it is fully charged when it is really not. This would explain early "charge completes" and the car "losing" range after being driven a bit and then parked unplugged for 30+ minutes and recalculating the SoC. Newer charge receptacles have updates to prevent this occurrence. My original '13 does not have an updated one. They did not believe doing another reset was necessary, but the dealer tech reset "everything" on the car he said--in the goal of trying to give it a fresh start.

The harder part has been getting the part--they are on backorder and this is why my car has been out for a long time. However, they have the part now and the only thing remaining is a battery test. I want a printout of the test for my records.

The good news is that GM will reimburse me for my gas costs--an apparent benefit of Volt ownership I was not aware of. Score one for customer service!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Hmmm
The receptacle certainly has nothing to do with it. It is simply a passive element/component (not a "module" or anything like that) and active only when charging.
Why is it taking so long to replace? There's been dozens replaced on here (though not for your symptoms) and its only taken a couple days at most to get the charge port receptacle. Somethings not adding up...
WOT

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Their explanation does fit with my theory on the 'burping' posted here, though.
People were wondering how it 'overcharged' and then snapped back down to full, where did the energy go?
I thought perhaps the charger was sending a 'full' signal, overriding the battery computer's SOC estimate with 'full' value, regardless of what it is. (The energy wasn't really being lost)
In your case, its the opposite. Charger is stopping too soon, says 'full', and so computer changes it's SOC value to the default for 'full'.

Of course, this all assumes what they said is remotely correct. Which based on WOTs comments, maybe not... Lol

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
So FYI there's a bulletin on this "EV Range Estimation Changes More Than 5 Miles After The Vehicle Sits For More Than 2 Hours" condition.
Turns out any 2013 MY Volt that has had HPCM2 reprogrammed since Feb 1 2015 (and until October 12 2015) may experience the issue. If this is you see your dealer and mention Bulletin #PIC6138 and they will need to reprogram HPCM2 once again.

WOT

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
*** -- You are AWESOME. Of course, I just got the car back and (now) see your post. No surprise, but you've been on the right track all along--an issue with the HPCM2. I haven't had enough seat time to know whether it's working properly or not (although I suspect not, with just my limited time in the seat--my first full charge yesterday stopped 3 hours "early" which is a bad sign). I'm going to get this to my dealer ASAP. Unfortunately, I can't find this bulletin on EBSCO, I wonder if EBSCO is not updated yet as it seems they don't have anything recent. I take it this just came out if the dates are until October 12, 2015.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.