GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure that would have been nice to showcase a Voltec or BEV concept truck, instead, they announce a truck built from Legos, sigh. So uninspiring. EV? Look, over there! Legos!! lol

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/chevrolet-full-scale-lego-silverado-detroit-auto-show/

Others report that the auto show resembled a ghost town filled with ...surprise, trucks! Plenty of no-shows from other manufacturers as the action is moving to Las Vegas and California and the focus and excitement shifts to EV's and AV's.

That GM doesn't do a Voltec type truck even as a concept is a little disappointing.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
GM's Truck EV plans....
I take this to mean there aren't any.

....and the focus and excitement shifts to EV's and AV's.
I heard that the EVs in the Chevy display areas were shoved in the very back. I've heard this complaint for years. What excitement? Doesn't look like GM is excited about it. Why should anyone else be?

I'm really okay with that. GM will do whatever they think is right for them. Both of the vehicles in my garage have bowties on them. Maybe the next one won't. That's life!

Lego truck? Not selling me on a new one. It's kinda silly really. I guess it gets attention, but I buy on value and looks - not cheap stunts. In the looks department this new Silverado isn't grabbing me. I almost ran to the dealer to talk about a 2018 when I saw it online. The 2018 is a real looker with the body color grille.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That moment when you have absolutely nothing interesting or exciting in your product line to bring to an auto show!

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's hard to believe that GM had the very sophisticated 2- Mode hybrid system in their trucks as far back as the 2008 model year. Unfortunately it didn't sell well as the public didn't feel the additional cost was worth the 2 or 3 mpg improvement. GM says that even though it didn't sell well, the technical knowledge they gained from the 2-Mode was essential In the development of the Gen 1&2 Voltec transmissions. In my opinion, the problem with the 2-Mode was not the transmission, but the battery. It was a small 40 cell air cooled 300 Volt Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack under the rear seat. I don't think GM ever have out any info on capacity, but by today's standards it was tiny. Today, that same transmission paired with a modern 400 Volt 60 KWH lithium battery nestled safely between its frame rails would be an awesome powertrain. Add to that improvements learned from the Volt and they should have a world beater pickup truck. It would not only have impressive economy, but more importantly, it would been fun to drive. It would have able to drive like an EV, all electric for 100 miles of so, and like an EV on long trips without having to structure your trip around an inadequate charging structure.

Instead, we have the all new GM trucks, complete with a variety of tired backwards looking ICE technology. Once again GM zigged when the rest of the world zagged and blew their lead in electrification to laggards like Ford and Ram who have announced plug-in pickups and vans in their upcoming product lines.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
That GM doesn't do a Voltec type truck even as a concept is a little disappointing.
I'm still not sold on a Voltec truck. If they are going to go that route, I'd much rather see a plug-in fuel cell vehicle that can be mapped (automatically or on the fly) to run off of H or NG. The complexity, cost, size, and inefficiency of an internal combustion engine just isn't warranted at this point.

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take this to mean there aren't any.

No, but there was a truck built out of Legos!! I mean. how awesome is that. That's the future...

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I'm still not sold on a Voltec truck. If they are going to go that route, I'd much rather see a plug-in fuel cell vehicle that can be mapped (automatically or on the fly) to run off of H or NG. The complexity, cost, size, and inefficiency of an internal combustion engine just isn't warranted at this point.
A fuel cell doesn't burn hydrogen (in the traditional sense), it combines hydrogen with oxygen to produce electricity that runs electric motor(s). It costs about as much (or more) than an ICE to operate (21 cents per mile) versus 2.6 cents a mile (in many areas) for electric. Other than that operating costs should be similar to battery. It should last the life of the car (250,000 to 450,000 miles). The down side is no fill stations. About 1.5 million dollars per fill station, not a lot will be built for a few cars/trucks.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
No, but there was a truck built out of Legos!! I mean. how awesome is that. That's the future...
I was hoping it was built with at least a toy electric motor to push it or something. Little kids have more electrification in their (what used to be) pedal cars than this.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
A fuel cell doesn't burn hydrogen (in the traditional sense), it combines hydrogen with oxygen to produce electricity that runs electric motor(s). It costs about as much (or more) than an ICE to operate (21 cents per mile) versus 2.6 cents a mile (in many areas) for electric. Other than that operating costs should be similar to battery. It should last the life of the car (250,000 to 450,000 miles). The down side is no fill stations. About 1.5 million dollars per fill station, not a lot will be built for a few cars/trucks.
Which is why I said that I, would prefer a fuel cell that can used H or NG. Maybe the reason for your response is that you don't realize those type of fuel cells exist? The old CNG vehicles are not what I'm referring to, as I feel they are step backward even from current ICE technology.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts