GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
General Motors recently unveiled it's upcoming EV lineup covering Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, and Buick. Attendees could look, but not take pictures.

GM said it plans to release 20 electric nameplates by 2023 and will publicly unveil the Cadillac “Lyriq” EV crossover in April and a GMC Hummer EV pickup truck and a Hummer SUV EV in May, followed by the Cruise Origin. GM plans to spend $20 billion on EV's in capital and engineering costs by 2025. GM and LG will spend $2.3 billion to build a new battery plant in Lordstown, Ohio.

From what I can tell, here are some of the rollout time frames:
  • Late 2020 Bolt EV interior refresh
  • Early 2021 Cruise Origin self-driving electric shared vehicle using GM’s new third-generation EV platform and Ultium batteries.
  • Mid-2021 Bolt EUV (longer wheel base than the Bolt EV)
  • 2021 Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV (China) April 2020 reveal
  • Late 2021 GMC Hummer EV pickup. May 20, 2020 livestream reveal
  • 2022 Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV (North America)
  • 2022 GMC Hummer EV SUT

By 2025 or before
  • Two Buick SUVs,
  • A hand-built flagship Cadillac “Celistiq” sedan
  • An all-electric Chevy Truck
  • Two additional unamed EVs

With the exception of the 2011 Volt, GM has traditionally been very tight lipped about it's plans. The event was meant to address concerns that they were not working on EV's. Turns out, they are and we won't have to wait long to see what some of these will look like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unfortunately I don't need a truck or SUV and with Ford and GM clearly moving in that direction, basically alienating sedan drivers and seemingly surrendering that segment to other manufacturers, I guess I'll have to begrudgingly look elsewhere for my next EV.

Not interested in the Bolt.

Kev

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
General Motors recently unveiled it's upcoming EV lineup covering Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, and Buick. Attendees could look, but not take pictures.

GM said it plans to release 20 electric nameplates by 2023 and will publicly unveil the Cadillac “Lyriq” EV crossover in April and a GMC Hummer EV pickup truck and a Hummer SUV EV in May, followed by the Cruise Origin. GM plans to spend $20 billion on EV's in capital and engineering costs by 2025. GM and LG will spend $2.3 billion to build a new battery plant in Lordstown, Ohio.

• Early 2021 Cruise Origin self-driving electric shared vehicle using GM’s new third-generation EV platform and Ultium batteries.
  • 2021 Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV (China)
  • Late 2021 GMC Hummer EV pickup
  • 2022 GMC Hummer EV SUT

By 2025 or before
  • Two Buick SUVs,

With the exception of the 2011 Volt, GM has traditionally been very tight lipped about it's plans. The event was meant to address concerns that they were not working on EV's. Turns out, they are and we won't have to wait long to see what some of these will look like.
Good job putting this info into a readable format. GM had a significant Tech lead with the Volt and Bolt. They are probably still way ahead of most the auto companies in the EV sector. Look at how much trouble VW is having getting their ID product out the door. Good to see GM letting everyone know more specific's about what they are planning.

GM is trying to convince investor's to invest in the company and I hope this works for them, but I think GM's bigger problem is convincing the buying public they are a good supplier to purchase EV's from.

Perhaps this is a list they could go work on to convince the buying public they are a good place to purchase EV's from while they are developing the technology:

• People here are reporting on poor retired product support for the Volt. And it appears to some people GM isn't in it to win it.
  • People reporting on dealer sales experience. no EV vehicles to test drive? no sales people that know anything about them? no sales people with enthusiasm for the product? and again, are you in it to win it?
  • People continually question GM's reputation for quality and believe Asian and European companies are better than American, even if they are not.
  • People questioning the ethic's of GM dealers doing repairs. (sorry, I know they are independent businesses, but this reflects poorly on GM anyway, and impacts sales)
  • GM has no idea how to build a user community and support and appreciate an enthusiastic user base for its products, but I will bet they will ask many times in meetings how can they get the enthusiasm Tesla has for it's products. This is a two a way process. It is called a relationship. This is not something that is part of the old paradigm, but is part of a new paradigm.
  • People in the early EV adoption community notice GM talking out both sides of it's mouth by supporting law's and legislation when they fight against green legislation in the automotive sector. So people ask, what side of of this are you on anyway? and again, are you in it to win it?
  • Tesla has a great charging infrastructure. People believe they can't go cross country in a GM EV. Past efforts from GM in this area are really no more than marketing ploys. They need to get their checkbook out and make a difference.
What different future could you envision?

• I would envision going into a GM dealership, and seeing a counter in the corner with a large sign, ELECTRIC VEHICLES, that you can go to, and find helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic people supporting the company's EV products. And then being able to test drive any of the EV products being sold.
  • I would envision GM supporting active product communities and actually having a relationship with it's customer base.
  • GM supporting legislation that moves EV technology forward in this country.
  • Provide great product support.
  • Supporting EV education. (how about get the checkbook out, and hire News Coulomb, and give him one of each of the GM product's for an extended period of time to do what he is already doing on youtube for free with his Bolt EV) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqgqWqKmdkIuBZa7JK5KSw
  • Becoming more materially involved in EV charging infrastructure and making a real difference where people will say, you can go cross country in a GM EV.
There are probably more ...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the STS/CTS/SRX/XLR naming scheme but ending every Cadillac model name with "q" makes me cringe.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
  • People in the early EV adoption community notice GM talking out both sides of it's mouth by supporting law's and legislation when they fight against green legislation in the automotive sector. So people ask, what side of of this are you on anyway? and again, are you in it to win it?
I just posted my response to this in the Teslarati forum.

This is a bottom line and cash flow issue. GM is planning to spend $20Billion to bring their EVs to market. If they can keep the goverment, including the fools over at CARB, from forcing them to continue spending on ICE R&D to meet ever increasing fuel efficiency and emissions standards, they can take money from their ICE R&D to spend on EV development. If GM has to continue shoving money into the dead ICE technology to meet standards that are only marginally better than the current onces, the chances of GM succeeding in the EV market is reduced.

The issue is that ICE technology is nearing both efficiency limits and emissions limits. Diesels have already hit their emissions limits and recent emissions improvements have resulted in reduced overall vehicle efficiency. Gas ICE isn't quite to this point, but it's close.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I just posted my response to this in the Teslarati forum.
The issue is that ICE technology is nearing both efficiency limits and emissions limits. Diesels have already hit their emissions limits and recent emissions improvements have resulted in reduced overall vehicle efficiency. Gas ICE isn't quite to this point, but it's close.
Do you know what it would cost GM to miss the CARB requirements?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would envision going into a GM dealership, and seeing a counter in the corner with a large sign, EV VEHICLES, that you can go to, and find helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic people supporting the company's EV products. And then being able to test drive any of the EV products being sold.
The pedant in me has to point out tha EV VEHICLES is redundant. Having said that, you make a good point.

I live in a province with 0 incentives for EV's. The dealership in my city (Sherwood Chev in Saskatoon) said at their peak they might have moved 6 Volts per year. Right now they have 4 Bolts on the lot. They've bought into electric, but I'm not sure the cars are moving. It's a three legged stool: you need public interest, dealers to actively sell, and products that people will buy (not a dig at the Bolt, but many people I've spoken to are turned off by the look before they even get near it). It seems they can't get all three legs at the same time.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The pedant in me has to point out tha EV VEHICLES is redundant. Having said that, you make a good point.

I live in a province with 0 incentives for EV's. The dealership in my city (Sherwood Chev in Saskatoon) said at their peak they might have moved 6 Volts per year. Right now they have 4 Bolts on the lot. They've bought into electric, but I'm not sure the cars are moving. It's a three legged stool: you need public interest, dealers to actively sell, and products that people will buy (not a dig at the Bolt, but many people I've spoken to are turned off by the look before they even get near it). It seems they can't get all three legs at the same time.
Yes, I originally wrote GREEN VEHICLES, and changed to EV Vehicles hastily. Sloppy, but it is more about the idea that you walk in and you know exactly where to go for help, you see they are serious about these products, and don't have to wade through a bunch of stodgy sales people who are clueless and could give a crap.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

You still have the $5,000 federal rebate.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Unfortunately I don't need a truck or SUV and with Ford and GM clearly moving in that direction, basically alienating sedan drivers and seemingly surrendering that segment to other manufacturers, I guess I'll have to begrudgingly look elsewhere for my next EV.

Not interested in the Bolt.

Kev
I'm right there with ya, Kev. RIP Volt, RIP sedans.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm right there with ya, Kev. RIP Volt, RIP sedans.
Same here. I don't want a big truck or SUV. Unfortunately, many buyers seem to disagree.

I had a (inherited) Cadillac SUV. Could not wait to get rid of it. When the Bolt came out, I sold the SUV and have not looked back.

However, not all SUV's are monster-sized built on a truck platform. The smaller unibody "crossover" SUV's are more garage, parking and entry friendly. More of a raised sedan in that regard.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

• 2021 Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV (China) April 2020 reveal
  • Late 2021 GMC Hummer EV pickup. May 20, 2020 livestream reveal
  • 2022 GMC Hummer EV SUT

By 2025 or before
  • Two Buick SUVs,

Mid-2021 Bolt EUV (longer wheel base than the Bolt EV) won't be using GM’s new third-generation EV platform and Ultium batteries? I hope it does.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That new Bolt is supposed to have super cruise and if it has a faster charge rate than 50kW it might be on my short list when I replace my '14.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
662 Posts
see some rumblings about chev electric pick up truck
400 miles or something
nice feature would be a 50 amp 240 volt plug off the traction battery
and add a couple 120v 15/20a recept
every mobile welder person would love you
3 phase plug would keep anyone with a remote pump happy
just pondering

·