GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about the (old) GMPP vs (new) GMEPP. Does anyone actually have a GMEPP plan?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I do. It was a lot less for the same coverage and with a GM car it seemed like a decent idea to go with the OEM rather than an intermediary. The guy I bought it from, who sells a bunch of extended service plan, says it's about 90-10 in favor of the GM service contract.

Also, if your car isn't up against either the 12K miles or 12 month limit then you don't want to get the plan now. The plan runs from the day when you get it with the mileage you have on the car. So a 36/36k service plan bought on the day you buy the car gives you nothing. Bought at 12/12K you'd get 12 months and 12K miles. Etc. Anything less than 12/12K is "New". Anything less than 36/36K is but more than 12/12K is "Used".

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So say I buy it a week before I hit 12/12K (which we'll say happens on the same day) and I buy 6 years/100k that day. I would effectively be getting 4/88? And since the factory warranty is 3/36 it doesn't help me until that expires?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
So say I buy it a week before I hit 12/12K (which we'll say happens on the same day) and I buy 6 years/100k that day. I would effectively be getting 4/88? And since the factory warranty is 3/36 it doesn't help me until that expires?
Yes, you got it. FWIW you can buy the extended service contract right before 36/36 but the price will be higher though you can get a longer term.

Also note that the expensive bits of the car are in the drive train and that has a separate and longer warranty than the standard 36/36.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
For the GMPP, you'd be "adding" 100,000 miles so you'd be covered up until 111,000 total miles.... if you wait until 35,000 miles, it cost more and the most you can add is 5 years/75,000 miles. Brings your coverage to the same 111,000 miles etc...

·
Registered
333 Posts
My Volt now has a bit over 22k miles and I started researching purchasing an extended protection plan. I found a Cadillac dealership (which actually turns out to be located near me) in an online search. I spoke with a salesman there. Here are some notes from my conversation:

* They (meaning this dealership) no longer sell GMPP - which is administered by Ally.
* Ally will lose the right to sell GMPP (and to the GM name and logo) in 2016.
* After 2016, existing GMPPs will be considered "3rd party plans" and so will have reduced access to GM's vehicle history database (I missed the details and consequences of this point... Anyone?)

* The dealership now sells and recommends only GMEPP (specifically Chevy Extended Protection Plan for the Volt).
* GMEPP is 100% owned by GM Financial; money is held by GM Financial; plan is administered under contract by AMT Financial.
* GMEPP is currently the only protection plan that is sold by GM Financial.
* The GMEPP Platinum is basically equivalent to GMPP Major Guard - Everything is covered except what is on an exclusion list.

Exclusions lists:
GMEPP Platinum Exclusions.jpg http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b632/jaero2/GMEPPPlatinumExclusions_zps6606884d.png
GMPP - Major Guard Exclusions.jpg http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b632/jaero2/GMPP-MajorGuardExclusions_zps87eed220.png

I'm sure this isn't news to a lot of members, but I thought this thread would be a good place to record it. If anyone has different or conflicting information, please share.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So a couple of questions...

Given all the components covered by the Voltec warranty until 8Yrs/100k miles, and those things that are excluded by the GMEPP, I wonder if it make sense to purchase this plan for a Volt? What additional components are actually being covered and how costly are they should they fail?

For my car, currently 22k miles and 2 1/2 yrs old, I was quoted a 60 month/50k mile GMEPP Platinum for $1260 with $100 deductible, or $1460 for $0 deductible. Reasonable? Anyone have a comparison?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just to follow up on this topic...

I got quotes from 5 different dealerships on both the GMPP (Ally) Major Guard plan and the GMEPP (AMT Financial) Platinum plan. Prices were pretty much the same for the two plans.

Comparing the list of exclusions I became worried about the new GMEPP. It excludes things that are apparently covered by the GMPP such as all "fuses and circuit breakers, emission equipment, oxygen sensors, fuel cap and filler neck." There is also language in the exclusions that states that a "breakdown" must have occurred for a component to be covered. So if my transmission starts whining as though a bearing is failing, it won't be covered until it actually fails and leaves the car broken down. Some of the excluded items may be covered by the Voltec warranty, and I am probably reading too much into the exclusions wording, but it appears to be designed to provide lots of opportunities for the plan provider to deny claims. That sort of language is absent from the GMPP exclusions list.

In the end I chose the GMPP Major Guard from Ally and purchased from www.insider-car-buying-tips.com which is a URL used by Bradley Chevrolet in Arizona. They had the best price I could find on both the GMPP and GMEPP. Here is the full contact information of my source...

Bradley Chevrolet
711 N Lake Havasu Ave
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
www.insider-car-buying-tips.com
928-669-2228
[email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also just bought GMPP for my 2012 Volt, not because of the 3 years but because in 2 years, I have driven the Volt for over 36000 miles. I enjoy driving this car.

Anyhow, exceptional experience working with Ken Fichtner from RimRock Auto Chevrolet. I shop around for my GMPP with other recommended forum vendors (4 dealers).

Ken's price is one of the best in the country, there is one guy that beat him by 1% but that guy lacks customer service and lack of communication (at the end), so it was a no brainer that I went with Ken.

In short compares to other dealerships, he is truly a class act, man of integrity, do what he said and do it right.

I am truly satisfied with my interaction with Ken and his wife Kathy, very highly recommended.

Give/Send Ken or Kathy a call or an email even just as a comparison. You will find out that their price is very competitive (if not the best) and the service is awesome.

Ken's email: [email protected]
Kathy's email: [email protected]

Thank you again Ken and Kathy,
Victor

·
Registered
1 Posts
GMEPP Platinum

I got the 100000 mile 0 deductible platinum GMEPP on my 2012 Volt with 7000 mile on it from Justin Green @ Bradley Chevrolet for $1915!

Bradley Chevrolet
711 N Lake Havasu Ave
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

oct2914 001.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts