1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Wow this is a surprise. I knew the market penetration for Chevrolet was not great in western Europe but I thought Chevy was doing well in Eastern Europe.

However something had to give. In many markets Opel and Chevrolet were selling near identical cars (including Ampera and Volt). And competing with ones self is not a smart strategy.

Maybe GM will now try to keep Opel in the lower and middle markets and re-introduce Cadillac in the upper markets in Europe.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I guess they think that Opel/Vauxhall are too ingrained in Europe and pushing "foreign" Chevrolet is just hurting. I suspect this means they'll stop selling the Volt in Europe and just sell the Ampera.

They could kill the Vauxhall brand, which is UK only, but it's just a different badge to Opel so not a big deal.

I'm sure Cadillac will be global.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Bye Bye Ampera ....

"GM said it would focus mostly on selling its Europe-based Opel and Vauxhall brands on the continent"

Next up for the Axe, Volt 2.0? ...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bye Bye Ampera ....

"GM said it would focus mostly on selling its Europe-based Opel and Vauxhall brands on the continent"

Next up for the Axe, Volt 2.0? ...
Why would it stop selling it's Ampera? It's not a Chevy, it's an Opel.

·
Registered
977 Posts
They shouldn't have bothered with Chevy at all in Europe, I believe it was their 'off-brand' brand for Korean econoboxes mainly, I only know it from _Top Gear_'s "Chevy" (nee Daewoo) Lacetti. Huge waste of money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Opel and Chevrolet are doing almost equally well here in Bulgariam but I think Chevrolet are not doing so well in Westertn EU.
Close to 50% ot the taxis here are the Korean Chevys (Aveo, Cruze, Captiva, Orlando). But more and more they are switching to Dacia (you couldn't get much cheaper than Dacia in EU).
If they discontinue Chverolet I doubt the Chevy's sales will tranfer into Opel sales.. so that would be a loss.

Still, the Ampera is an "exotic animal" .. hope they keep it. I think it is the best PHEV on the market..

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
They shouldn't have bothered with Chevy at all in Europe, I believe it was their 'off-brand' brand for Korean econoboxes mainly, I only know it from _Top Gear_'s "Chevy" (nee Daewoo) Lacetti. Huge waste of money.
Well, I think they were trying to rationalize, which includes eventually killing the Opel/Vauxhall brands (hence the Manchester United sponsorship deal), but they've realized that it's not good for sales to look like you want to kill a brand when it's struggling. It was basically for anything not from the EU. For now at least they'll just be sticking different badges on the Asian imports and reserving Chevrolet for when they want to sell America.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder what this will eventually do to the Manchester United deal? I know GM was not happy that the deal was struck in the first place (and it cost the VP who signed it his job). I know they say it will continue, but I wonder for how long. However, with NBC now broadcasting all of the English football games, there will still be TV exposure here in the US and I know they are big in Asia so we may still see Chevrolet on their shirts at least for the first few years of the 7 year deal, but they may find a way to get out of it early (especially if Man U can get even more $$ from someone else after the first few years).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This just in: Approximately no Europeans have noticed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This just in: Approximately no Europeans have noticed.
This forum needs a like button.
That there is funny, I don't care who you are.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Note to our Bulgarian friend and others. According to the official announcement, the Chevy brand (except for specialty cars like the Corvette) is only being dropped in Western Europe. Chevy will continue in Eastern Europe and Russia. Also they seem committed to the Man U sponsorship. Big in China apparently! I don't know whether they will be able to electronically transform the bow-tie logo into Opel or Vauxhall insignias for games broadcast in Western Europe and the UK!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This is the correct decision. There isn't enough money to fund both Opel and Chevy development in Europe. Between Opel and Chevy one has brand awareness and one does not. Not sure what this means for Eastern Europe where Chevy has been doing well.

This is a $1B mistake by Dan Akerson. Thinking you could make Chevy a world brand was just a bridge too far, and most people thought that at the time he made the decision. I'm sure this won't count against his bonus! LOL

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
This is a $1B mistake by Dan Akerson. Thinking you could make Chevy a world brand was just a bridge too far, and most people thought that at the time he made the decision. I'm sure this won't count against his bonus! LOL
Of the 25 cars parked on my home road 6 are Chevy, none of them are Opel. 1 Volt, 2 Cruze, 3 Silverados. :)

Regrettable choice from GM, but maybe they will bring Caddy here instead.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The europeans love American cars,,, the Manchester United Foot ball Club still has the Chevy logo in the shirt.... Will the G2 2016 Chevy Volt/ Ampera will be sold in Europe ???...LETS HOPE SO...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts