GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what GM has in their pipeline for future VOLTEC vehicles. Obviously there is the CT6 coming but what else?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I don't and I'm beginning to think GM doesn't either.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
If you ask for "Voltec", there is one more now, and two more coming:

The 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid uses the same Volt front-wheel-drive unit but with a small battery. Ther are being produced now.
The 2017 Buick Regal and 2017 Buick LaCrosse will both use the same powertarin as the Malibu Hybrid. These are official announcements

But for EREV and BEV, we only have the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV. GM is holding back future announcements to grab the competition (and fans) by surprise, as they did last year with the Bolt.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GM is holding back future announcements to grab the competition (and fans) by surprise, as they did last year with the Bolt.
I would love for this to be true. Imagine seeing an EREV Equinox, or even a full EREV Malibu, at 2017 NAIAS, if not in LA this fall...along with an announcement that they'll be in production in 2019!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
GM has announced that it will release 10 "New Electric Vehicles", which includes BEVs and PHEVs and EREVs, over the next five years in China. Nothing on how many of those might show up in the US but I doubt all the R&D will go into producing all these vehicles for one market. My guess for the most likely to show up in the US would be the Buick Envision, which was shown at the Shanghai Auto Show this year or last. Built on the D2XX platform, it's a mid-sized SUV. The standard version, made in China, is being introduced in the US this year.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
If you ask for "Voltec", there is one more now, and two more coming:

The 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid uses the same Volt front-wheel-drive unit but with a small battery. Ther are being produced now.
The 2017 Buick Regal and 2017 Buick LaCrosse will both use the same powertarin as the Malibu Hybrid. These are official announcements

But for EREV and BEV, we only have the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV. GM is holding back future announcements to grab the competition (and fans) by surprise, as they did last year with the Bolt.
My understanding is that LG developed the drivetrain for the Bolt, not Voltec.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
There is no reason why the standard automatic transmission could not be replaced by Voltec powertrains in full hybrid and plugin variants including full sized trucks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Does anyone know what GM has in their pipeline for future VOLTEC vehicles. Obviously there is the CT6 coming but what else?
The unique capability of the Voltec drivetrain is that it can provide full performance in electric-only mode. Chrysler will be delivering its new Pacifica hybrid minivan this fall with a drivetrain that's said to be capable of this for the first 30 miles.

·
1,308 Posts
My understanding is that LG developed the drivetrain for the Bolt, not Voltec.
Saying "LG developed the drivetrain for the Bolt" is misleading and overstating things. LG developed the battery cells (no surprise) and at least many aspects of the overall battery pack. It's likely that GM substantially collaborated with them on the pack's structural design since it becomes an integral part of the overall body design which GM did. GM designed the electric motor and associated reduction and differential gears in the drivetrain. It's unclear who had primary responsibility for the motor controllers and overall vehicle computer integration but I would guess GM. GM also designed the overall chassis and body hardware, performed a lot of testing of all parts and components including those from LG, performed the overall vehicle calibration. Many of the parts and components that LG provided would typically have come from a variety of 3rd party suppliers instead of one conglomerate. The whole "Bolt is designed by LG" meme is exaggerated as far as I can tell. It was a business deal to bring in the Bolt schedule deadlines through tighter integration and collaboration and a deal to reduce battery prices by bundling a larger set of part supply contracts into one supplier (LG). This effort also reduced the strain on GM's internal engineering resources since the Bolt was being designed at the same time as 2nd gen complete Volt redesign and the design of the new CT6 RWD hybrid transmission, the Malibu adaptation of the Volt transaxle, and perhaps other hybrid or plugin vehicles that haven't been revealed yet.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Saying "LG developed the drivetrain for the Bolt" is misleading and overstating things. LG developed the battery cells (no surprise) and at least many aspects of the overall battery pack. It's likely that GM substantially collaborated with them on the pack's structural design since it becomes an integral part of the overall body design which GM did. GM designed the electric motor and associated reduction and differential gears in the drivetrain. It's unclear who had primary responsibility for the motor controllers and overall vehicle computer integration but I would guess GM. GM also designed the overall chassis and body hardware, performed a lot of testing of all parts and components including those from LG, performed the overall vehicle calibration. Many of the parts and components that LG provided would typically have come from a variety of 3rd party suppliers instead of one conglomerate. The whole "Bolt is designed by LG" meme is exaggerated as far as I can tell. It was a business deal to bring in the Bolt schedule deadlines through tighter integration and collaboration and a deal to reduce battery prices by bundling a larger set of part supply contracts into one supplier (LG). This effort also reduced the strain on GM's internal engineering resources since the Bolt was being designed at the same time as 2nd gen complete Volt redesign and the design of the new CT6 RWD hybrid transmission, the Malibu adaptation of the Volt transaxle, and perhaps other hybrid or plugin vehicles that haven't been revealed yet.
Yes, I know that GM did the bulk of the design work; I was speaking solely about the development. And, I was distinguishing between LG and Voltec, because Voltec is also contracted by GM in the same way as LG.

·
Registered
803 Posts
How can an EV be in a pipeline? :confused:

Shouldn't it be in a conduit?? :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts