GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just called me on the phone to tell me that he saw a segment on the evening news that said GM was recalling 2017-2019 Volts for battery pack replacements. He said they were recommending parking the cars outdoors until the recall visit, as there was a danger of fire!

Now again, I didn't see this firsthand, but my neighbor is no fool. I was hoping someone here would have already posted on this, but I didn't see anything, so...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I believe this is for the Bolt and not the Volt.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,077 Posts
still say its the 12v system, may not be all the reason, would not be surprised if it was
my guess
isnt it the power supply on the hubbel satellite that went south

·
Registered
575 Posts
Surely the GM geniuses could foresee the confusion when they named a vehicle “Bolt” when they already had a “Volt”. Then again it was probably a smart calculated decision as we are all debating the naming and differences of these two cars. Similarly Ford by naming a new EV “Mustang” has the entire automotive enthusiast world focused on the “Mustang Mach E”. There’s no confusion amongst real car enthusiasts what a Volt, Bolt, Mustang Mach E, is.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
120 Posts
I suspect most people will look at the Volt as a fire hazard, because they won't know the difference.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When was the first year for the Bolt? He specifically said 2017-2019...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
When was the first year for the Bolt? He specifically said 2017-2019...
It's not the Volt. It's the Bolt. I probably saw the same report show up on my smartphone. The first model year for the Bolt was 2017. If there was a recall on the Gen 2 or Gen 1 Volt it would certainly show up in discussions here. Your neighbor likely didn't pay close enough attention or know the difference.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
It's not the Volt. It's the Bolt. I probably saw the same report show up on my smartphone. The first model year for the Bolt was 2017. If there was a recall on the Gen 2 or Gen 1 Volt it would certainly show up in discussions here. Your neighbor likely didn't pay close enough attention or know the difference.
Or he didn't have his hearing aids in (Bolt - Volt - neighbor).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Volt, Bolt, Tomato, Tomatillo. GM could have easily named the plucky hatchback as the Volt EV.
e.g. Volt REX (gas model that sounds like a dinosaur) and Volt EV

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some Volts are used as EVs. Mine had over 30,000 miles on it before I had to add gas to its 9 1/2 gallon tank. In my new location, it's averaging out to about once every two or three months. My lawn tractor uses a lot more gas than my Volt, so I just can't feel too bad about not having a Bolt instead. In fact, I actually felt good about it when the time came to relocate the car from Milwaukee to Atlanta. It only took two 10-minute fuel stops.

And btw, I forgive whoever decided to change the title of my thread (as it prevents excess reading), but it was a bit presumtious to not even ask.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
<snip>

And btw, I forgive whoever decided to change the title of my thread (as it prevents excess reading), but it was a bit presumtious to not even ask.
It happens...mostly for the good, so I don't complain when it happens to me. My ego is still intact. 8^)

·
Administrator
20,903 Posts
I should have deleted your post for being both 100% wrong and basically spreading a "somebody said" false rumor. Correcting the title was the most generous thing I could do. :)

As far as asking permission, well, that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm happy with my loud and smelly ICE Cub Cadet. It's been sitting outside my garden shed for 5 years with no issue. It starts on the first crank every season. I haven't done anything to it other than changing the oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bolt. not Volt.

how stupid is our society. Gasoline car fires are so ubiquitous they don't even make the news. But per million miles of driving, electric cars are not even a fraction of gas vehicle fire's . Yet suddenly every one of your neighbors is screaming and pounding on your front door ignorantly trying to save your life - and if you don't placate them they think that you are the fool. All for nothing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts