GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
General Motors (GM -2%) halted sales on its entire 60K-vehicle inventory of Chevrolet Traverses, GMC Acadias, and Buick Enclaves while dealers wait to receive corrected mileage labels.
• The automaker admitted earlier in the week that it overstated fuel economy ratings by 1 or 2 mpgs on the models.
• There is heightened trust sensitivity in the industry after a high-profile flareup with Hyundai over fuel economy claims and the ongoing Volkswagen emissions scandal.

Update....
• General Motors (NYSE:GM) plans to compensate about 130K American owners of SUVs that had inflated fuel economy labels, revealing itself as the latest automaker to misstate gas mileage.
• GM will unveil a program to compensate owners for the difference in miles per gallon in the coming week, and will temporarily halt sales of about 60K new 2016 U.S. vehicles.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Wow. 15 MPG. No wonder they didn't want to print that on the labels. That's horrible.
If they put a hybrid or EREV powertrain in each model, then the numbers will be in the high 30's.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wow. 15 MPG. No wonder they didn't want to print that on the labels. That's horrible.
A little context: http://www.autonews.com/article/20160513/RETAIL05/160519919/gm-grounds-large-16-crossovers-with-overstated-epa-mileage-labels

The new rating for the AWD version is 17/15/22 mpg combined/city/highway. It was 19/17/24.

If they put a hybrid or EREV powertrain in each model, then the numbers will be in the high 30's.
Nuh uh.

There are plenty of hybrid SUV's already on the market, and only a few even crack 30mpg combined. And those that do are significantly lighter than the Traverse.

None crack 35mpg for either city OR highway.

The RAV4 hybrid gets 33/34/31, but weighs 800-1000lbs less than the Traverse.

The Highlander hybrid is similar in weight to the Traverse and only gets 28/28/28.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&year1=2015&year2=2017&cbmcsportUtilityVehicles=Sport+Utility+Vehicles&minmsrpsel=0&maxmsrpsel=0&city=25&hwy=25&comb=25&cbvthybrid=Hybrid&YearSel=2015-2017&make=&mclass=Sport+Utility+Vehicles&vfuel=&vtype=Hybrid&trany=&drive=&cyl=&MpgSel=252525&sortBy=Comb&Units=&url=SearchServlet&opt=new&minmsrp=0&maxmsrp=0&minmpg=&maxmpg=&rowLimit=10&pageno=1&tabView=0

And an EREV powertrain would make them even heavier and likely result in lower gas fuel economy than a non-plug-in hybrid.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That's one of the reasons we sold our Saturn Oulook, the MPG was too low at 17 around town. Our new '15 Murano gets significantly better at 24 around twon; we got 30 on the highway on a trip to FL. There's a hybrid versions coming out this year with even better MPG, but we had to get a new car last year since the Outlook was developing transmission issues.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That's one of the reasons we sold our Saturn Oulook, the MPG was too low at 17 around town. Our new '15 Murano gets significantly better at 24 around twon; we got 30 on the highway on a trip to FL. There's a hybrid versions coming out this year with even better MPG, but we had to get a new car last year since the Outlook was developing transmission issues.
Yep, we have a Saturn Outlook AWD...looking for the Chrysler plug in pacifica

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Wait. A company took responsibility for their mistake and is self correcting before a gubmit agency needs to tell them to do it? What kind of bizarro world does GM operate in?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Kudo's to GM for stepping up and fixing the problem before it was spun out of control. GM Is and most likely be under the microscope for years to come so they need to take the high ground.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Kudo's to GM for stepping up and fixing the problem before it was spun out of control. GM Is and most likely be under the microscope for years to come so they need to take the high ground.
And Kudos to this guy for exposing the VW scandal that put all the other manufacturers (except Tesla) on high alert:
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34519184

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
....Our new '15 Murano gets significantly better at 24 around twon; we got 30 on the highway on a trip to FL. ....
Are these numbers using pencil and paper or what the 'Fuel Mileage Display' reads?
Those displays can be as optimistic as the window labels.:)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Are these numbers using pencil and paper or what the 'Fuel Mileage Display' reads?
Those displays can be as optimistic as the window labels.:)
I was surprised too. But the computer matches my gas logs. The car is surprisingly very aerodynamic, which helps on the highway.

http://papers.sae.org/2015-01-1542/

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another wonderful failure in govt regulations to allow manf to test and label their cars . Now I know why my traverse gets 16.9 vs the 19-25 stated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I doubt it - those mpg figures were on tv in print ads on brochures and the lips of dealership personnel, not just window stickers. Just another example of telling people what they wanted to hear when gas prices were high and now that they are not hiding in the shadows of the VW scandal just like Hyundai, Mitsubishi and plenty others I am sure. More deceptive advertising - can't wait for my free oil change and $20 gas card while lawyers take in millions while the car price goes up so the buyers get left holding the bag again

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I haven't seen any evidence that GM manipulated test results or purposefully mislead consumers. It sounds like you are a bit sore that your driving habits led to less-than-expected mileage numbers, but the EPA estimates are just that: estimates. Considering that we are coming out of winter, what happens if your mileage numbers improve to more than what was on the EPA labels when you purchased the vehicle? Are you going to give the $20 gas card back and pay the service center for your free oil change?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could not be more off base - I have exceeded EPA estimates in every car I have owned incl my 16 volt, except the 14 traverse that I have been driving for two years and certainly understand the difference bt seasonal gas blends. Maybe you should read the source article and wonder n why the spokesman for the issue from GM can't explain what changed that brought the estimates down for the identical power train for the last several years or why so many people have complained about this specific model's estimates being inflated since 2013. You will see the evidence when the class action suit gets underway-that's why it's called a coverup.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
You could not be more off base - I have exceeded EPA estimates in every car I have owned incl my 16 volt, except the 14 traverse that I have been driving for two years and certainly understand the difference bt seasonal gas blends. Maybe you should read the source article and wonder n why the spokesman for the issue from GM can't explain what changed that brought the estimates down for the identical power train for the last several years or why so many people have complained about this specific model's estimates being inflated since 2013. You will see the evidence when the class action suit gets underway-that's why it's called a coverup.
I did read the article. You realize that this label error only affects MY 2016, right? The MY 2014 isn't affected by this, and its label matched the EPA testing results.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update...could someone change the thread title to my first message title?

• General Motors (NYSE:GM) plans to compensate about 130K American owners of SUVs that had inflated fuel economy labels, revealing itself as the latest automaker to misstate gas mileage.
• GM will unveil a program to compensate owners for the difference in miles per gallon in the coming week, and will temporarily halt sales of about 60K new 2016 U.S. vehicles.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
• General Motors (GM +1%) announces that it will compensate 135K SUV owners for overstating fuel economy ratings by one to two miles per gallon. The payout will take the form of debit cards or extended warranties.
• A source indicates the payout program may end up costing the automaker about $100M.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts