GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"GM’s strategic investments in four-cylinder and turbocharged engines, advanced transmissions and vehicle electrification have been very well timed" - Mark Reuss

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ent/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Mar/0321_marchsales

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) will hold a conference call for securities analysts and media to review its U.S. sales results for March 2012 on Tuesday, April 3 at 11 a.m. EDT.

A press release and supporting material will be posted to GM’s media website, http://media.gm.com, and its Investor Relations website, http://investor.gm.com, approximately one hour before the call.

To access the conference, dial 1-800-830-3805 (+1-416-641-6283 for international access) 10 minutes prior to the start time and ask to be connected to the General Motors conference call.

http://www.freep.com/article/201204...tors-sales-Detroit-automaker?odyssey=nav|head

General Motors said today that in March it sold at least 100,000 vehicles getting 30 miles per gallon or better on the highway, a record for the Detroit-based automaker.

GM said the 30 m.p.g. vehicles represented about 40% of the units it sold in the U.S. in 2011, up from about 16% three years ago. The company sells 12 vehicles that get at least 30 m.p.g. on the highway, including the popular Chevrolet Cruze compact.

The figures offered a brief glimpse at the company’s March sales performance, which will be detailed Tuesday morning.

“GM’s strategic investments in four-cylinder and turbocharged engines, advanced transmissions and vehicle electrification have been very well timed,” Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, said in a statement.

GM to Set High-Mileage Auto Sales Record for March

Apr. 2, 2012 - April 2 (Bloomberg) -- Don Johnson, vice president of U.S. sales operation at General Motors Co., talks about vehicle sales. GM said it expects that 12 of its high-mileage models had combined U.S. sales of 100,000 or more last month.​

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I hate to say this because I don't think that government ownership of businesses is a good thing, but the government ownership of GM has been a good thing. It's given GM the room it needed to diversify its portfolio. The thing about WS is that it always focuses on the short term. Before the bailout, GM had significant advantages when making large vehicles like trucks and SUVs. WS saw this and wanted GM to focus on "what it did best", which was making these larger vehicles. Unfortunately, as a business becomes more focused on doing one thing extremely well, it gives up its ability to weather disruptions in the market on which its focused. Businesses without large fixed cost this may be OK. They can cut and weather the storm. But for companies with very large fixed costs, like car companies, a storm can sink the ship. Which is what we saw in 2008-2009.

GM has a much more diversified portfolio of products today, and that's a very good thing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don... good points. Life keeps on teaching me that moderation/diversification is key. Same goes for government intervention.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gonna be a run on Rolaids at Fox today and tomorrow.

Expect DonC to start making excuses for Fox and Romney and wax on poetically about Bush senior and how he deserved better.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
bababooey,

I think you have the wrong impression of DonC. I do not participate in other forums after encountering such negative assessments and have found it refreshing to only add 3 people to my 'Ignore' list for irrational personal attacks here at GM-Volt. Most folks here are pretty pragmatic and DonC is one of the most pragmatic of the bunch. This topic was about GM sales, and your comment was off base, off topic and contributed nothing to the discussion. I certainly would agree with your first statement and hope that Fox eats a lot of crow; they have shown much irrational animosity toward an inanimate object.

·
Administrator
21,044 Posts
bababooey,
I think you have the wrong impression of DonC. This topic was about GM sales, and your comment was off base, off topic and contributed nothing to the discussion.
Perhaps bababoey meant someone else. DonC has been very even handed on this site, and did not deserve the personal slam.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Perhaps bababoey meant someone else. DonC has been very even handed on this site, and did not deserve the personal slam.
Thanks to you and Noel but really no problems. Actually I'm laughing. Since I'm sometimes attacked from the other wing this is giving me a strange sense of balance! It's all good, especially since I tore into Rush today on Jeff's discussion site. :cool:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks to you and Noel but really no problems. Actually I'm laughing. Since I'm sometimes attacked from the other wing this is giving me a strange sense of balance! It's all good.
I'm right with ya DonC. My lideral friends think I'm conservative and my conservative friends think I'm liberal, which is good. It validates my independent status. Kinda like setting the thermostat in the office. As long as there as many people that think it is too hot as there are that think it is too cold, then It is just right.

Didn't feel so at the time but I agree Bush Sr contributed positively to America. I also believe Clinton did well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts