Flying cars, an ever-popular Popular Mechanics magazine topic, lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Great when there are two. Not so good when there are 10,000 downtown. :p

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
90Kwh battery makes you think of life choices and meaningfulness of the commute when there's 45000 people in front of you in the landing queue.

·
Administrator
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I expect these will be run by air taxi companies with trained pilots, just like helicopter-based services. The economics of a two seater would seem dubious, seems like a taxi for one person would be expensive. So perhaps aiming at the golden cufflinks crowd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This doesn't seem to be out of reach with the way things are developing now with eVTOLs, I read here that there is already a public pure-play company called Astro Aerospace that was able to develop a working full-scale prototype which is a really big step in my opinion. It does not necessarily translate to us seeing eVTOL air taxis for commercial use or as a means of public transportation anytime soon but Astro is well on its way. I already bought stocks from them as a long-term investment as I'm banking on the possibility that they might be the next Tesla but this time for the eVTOL market.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
It will be MANY many years before any of these will be available for use by people without the appropriate licenses, even if "automated". And generally, the more automation there is, the more endorsements have to be on the license, not fewer. Want to fly in the dark or clouds? Instrument endorsement. More than one engine/motor even if it's automated into one throttle? Multiengine endorsement. More than 200 HP? High power endorsement. No engine? Glider endorsement. Fans generating lift instead of wings even if it's completely integrated into a standard control set? Rotorcraft endorsement. Flying over 25k feet even by accident? High altitude endorsement. Etc, etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think trying to equate today's rules of flying to tomorrow's pilotless aircraft is a fool's game. Remember we had to go ahead of cars waving red flags to warn horse drawn carriages and pedestrians that a car was coming down the road. We no longer do this.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Pilot licenses and the requirements of them has been around for a hundred years. The guy that got the first one was early enough to be able to offer license #1 of Orville Wright (who turned it down because he didn't fly anymore). The structure of the licensing is basically the same as it was when it was set up in 1927. I don't think that one's gonna go away. The Red Flag part of the Locomotives Act only lasted about a decade in the UK the vehicles under consideration where what amount to wagon-trains hauled by steam tractors. You absolutely WOULD want to know that one of those was coming because they basically took up the entire road as they existed then, and they were terrible at turning, worse at stopping, and basically impossible to reverse.

Not exactly a "hah hah who'd think that a car would need two operators and a dude with a flag" situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts