GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
General Motors has told its dealers to stop delivering 60,000 new cars on their sales lots, including many of its most popular models (such as Volt), until they fix a glitch involving the OnStar communications system.

Dealers were being told tonight to go ahead and start fixing the cars using the patch, a process that takes about 30 minutes per vehicle, GM spokesman Alan Adler says. Since Wednesday, when dealers were first informed of the problem, GM has been gradually fixing the problem remotely by sending the electronic message to the cars.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eliveries-of-popular-new-cars-to-fix-glitch/1

In related news, "General Motors will hire 500 new workers in Austin, Texas, as part of its plan to “insource” about 90% of its information technology operations, the company announced this morning."

We can only hope that OnStar does the same!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I work in IT. I also work with some outsourced groups (within companies that use outsourcing heavily).

I applaud the GM move to insource IT staff. There are many reasons to do it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's cool they can do the update OTA. Is there a way to tell if/when our vehicle gets the update (other than waiting for the letter)?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yea. If I was interested in living in Austin I'd see about getting a job with GM! LoL As much outsourcing as there is I'm glad to see GM reversing the trend.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So does this mean that the dealer hangs onto the car a little while longer, or does it mean there's a holdup before the car even gets to the dealer?

If it only takes 30 minutes it could be woven into the PDI...

I NEED MY VOLT DAMMIT!!! Since Tuesday, and for the forseeable future, I'm spending $45 a day on gas. That's why I ordered it in June...

Also, does this mean the Onstar module is drastically different from the 2011-2012 units?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I though this was a 2013 problem ?

We were told the 2012 have had a one or a few updates already and that one was for a bluetooth fix ?

OPPS- should have read the above link first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I NEED MY VOLT DAMMIT!!! Since Tuesday, and for the forseeable future, I'm spending $45 a day on gas.
Yikes! What the heck are you driving? Is the 40-45 mile range going to work for you?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yikes! What the heck are you driving? Is the 40-45 mile range going to work for you?
A 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 with a tuned 4.8L Vortec, a 7" lift, and Goodyear DuraTrac 315/70R17s...

I swear it was relatively economical when I was working across the street from my house... Of course now that I've been transferred higher up in the company I'm working out of several locations. My one-way commute is between 90-105 km (56-65 mi) and uses about 17L (4.5 gal) of gas. I figure with the Volt I'll use about 1.5L of gas once the battery is exhausted, and I should be able to charge it up at work (I'm trying to get L2 EVSEs installed at the various locations...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts