GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM spends $2.2 billion to set up an EV-only plant in Detroit

The automaker has revealed plans for a $2.2 billion investment that will turn its Detroit-Hamtramck facility into its first assembly plant completely devoted to EVs. When it's fully ready, it'll create over 2,200 "good-paying" jobs, GM claimed.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/27/gm-ev-only-assembly-plant-detroit/

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Interesting that the article pointed out that this will only recover some of the lost jobs as we move away from ICE powerplants. One of the items that leaked out of the UAW strike last year was that EVs only need about half the people (includes powertrain and assemblers) to build.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It's nice that they're doing this, but it's focused on trucks, at least for now.
Sorry GM, I love my Volt, but sure don't need a truck anymore. I want more EV sedans and hatchbacks!

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
It's nice that they're doing this, but it's focused on trucks, at least for now.
Sorry GM, I love my Volt, but sure don't need a truck anymore. I want more EV sedans and hatchbacks!
The article says GM didn't outline the full product mix, but the factory will produce a "variety" of electric trucks and SUVs. Production on its first electric pickup truck will start at the plant in late 2021. The Cruise Origin self-driving shuttle should start production soon afterward.

The Bolt UEV has been announced, which looks like a somewhat larger Bolt with some styling changes.

GM and Ford seem to have given up on sedans.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
GM and Ford seem to have given up on sedans.
Sad but true. I think it's a mistake. Tons of people don't want, or need, larger vehicles.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Sad but true. I think it's a mistake. Tons of people don't want, or need, larger vehicles.
True, I was happy to replace an inherited Cadillac SUV with the Bolt EV. The Cadillac always felt lumbering and ungainly. Love the Bolt though.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
As I get older I can see wanting to switch to a taller vehicle, just for the ease of entry/exit. I'm not talking one of these behemouths that require a ladder, just something that doesn't require I sit excesively low or high.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Local Chevy dealer lists 28 sedans in stock, versus 460 SUVs and 206 P/U. Dealers buy what sells.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just because you're not the majority, doesn't mean you're not a large number of people.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Local Chevy dealer lists 28 sedans in stock, versus 460 SUVs and 206 P/U. Dealers buy what sells.
Ford, Chrysler, and GM have spent the last 30 or so years doing everything they can to convince Americans that they NEED a SUV or truck.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Hamtramck is where the Volt was being built. And it sounds like this line will handle a large variety of vehicles. What would keep GM from releasing a new version of the Volt and building on the tech they developed for it?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
1000 HP hummer pickup! I'll take one.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well they are reviving the Hummer. So apparently some decisions can be reversed, and some things can be revived.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts