1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
I wonder how long the alpha/beta testing period will last before releasing as a proven technology?

Also the article talks about Bolt but all the images are of Volts. So which is it?

·
Registered
878 Posts
from the linked article photo caption:

Logan Green and John Zimmer, the co-founders of Lyft Inc. stand with General Motors Co. President Dan Ammann (center) in front of a Chevy Bolt EV with a Lyft mustache. GM and car-hailing service Lyft, know for its pink mustaches, will begin testing a fleet of self-driving electric taxis on public roads within a year. Photo: Lyft Inc.
(Bold is mine). The article writer apparently doesn't know his Bolt from his Volt. I do have to ask, though, why GM or Lyft's publicity departments would include a photo of Lyft and GM execs posing in front of two VOLTS with a press release (which this appears to be) related to using the BOLT for a pilot self-driving program.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
GM meeting: " will calling it a Bolt cause any confusion with the Volt?"

Marketing department: "No, that won't happen?" :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
from the linked article photo caption:

(Bold is mine). The article writer apparently doesn't know his Bolt from his Volt. I do have to ask, though, why GM or Lyft's publicity departments would include a photo of Lyft and GM execs posing in front of two VOLTS with a press release (which this appears to be) related to using the BOLT for a pilot self-driving program.
Just like everyone on the planet who doesn't own a Volt, the person writing the article has no idea what car he is talking about, what a Volt is, what a Bolt is, and (most important of all) can not conceive of a company stupid enough to name two different cars with such similar names.

Keith

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm glad to see Gm ready to test self driving Bolts in a real world city environment. Looks like they are technically very advanced, with problems solved, or they would not be letting random customers get a ride with no driver. That seems to be a little ahead of the Tesla Autopilot, which i understand still requires driver intervention.

Also, we were told that GM was going to have 50 self driving Volts running at a GM Campus (Warren Michigan???). Has anyone heard any more about that?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
In my opinion, the Bolt is an ideal Taxi. Tall roofline, upright seating, and easy to get stuff into/out of quickly with the hatchback. There are a ton on C-Max Taxi's in NYC.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In my opinion, the Bolt is an ideal Taxi. Tall roofline, upright seating, and easy to get stuff into/out of quickly with the hatchback. There are a ton on C-Max Taxi's in NYC.
They need to bring back "cash cab" with a Bolt as the taxi and pay the producers to make it a full product placement deal in the show.

Keith

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
They need to bring back "cash cab" with a Bolt as the taxi and pay the producers to make it a full product placement deal in the show.

Keith
That would actually be awesome!
Loved that show back in the day... the host could be "live" on a rear facing video screen attached to the front passenger seat.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
"GM has previously said the Bolt EV would be ideal for car-sharing and similar services, due to its spacious cabin—which has the passenger volume of a midsize sedan—compact size and low running costs."

It like the Tardis, small outside for maneuverability and easy parking, big inside for hauling people, stuff :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts