GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
• General Motors (GM -3.8%) unit sales -18.0% to 240,540 units to miss the forecasts published by Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds, and other industry watchers that ranged from -12% to -16%. Two fewer selling days in May was a factor in the sharp drop in unit sales.
• Retail sales fell 13% during the month.
• Daily rental sales decreased 49% Y/Y on a planned shift in strategy from management.
• GM ended the month with 67 days supply vs. 71 days at the end of April.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
GM is still selling well. A month of sales never predicts the year sales. I bet they will sell more by December 2016 that they did last year (the Chevy Bolt EV is the reason).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Volt sales were 1901. But consider this. Volt outsold every model Cadillac sells except the XT5. Volt outsold the Buick Regal and Lacrosse. Corvette sold 2673 which means Volt sales are in the same neighborhood as the Vette. All in all that is not a bad neighborhood. Also consider almost no marketing effort, and meager incentives from GM. The takeaway? The Volt is slowly becoming a real and important part of GM and the American automotive landscape. The future is electric and we are all driving it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
YoY sales of Silverados was down 12% over May of 2015. Not sure what the cause was, but it was a poor month for most manufacturers I think.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
YoY sales of Silverados was down 12% over May of 2015. Not sure what the cause was, but it was a poor month for most manufacturers I think.
Last year, F-150's were in short supply so some buyers may have opted for a Silverado instead. Add the short selling month and random fluctuations I don't view the Silverado as suddenly becoming less desirable.

Non-cars now account for 60% of vehicle sales.

Re: Volts vs. Corvettes: the opposite viewpoint is that the Volt is outsold by an extreme niche vehicle with an average selling price of say 70K.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Volt sales were 1901. But consider this. Volt outsold every model Cadillac sells except the XT5. Volt outsold the Buick Regal and Lacrosse. Corvette sold 2673 which means Volt sales are in the same neighborhood as the Vette. All in all that is not a bad neighborhood. Also consider almost no marketing effort, and meager incentives from GM. The takeaway? The Volt is slowly becoming a real and important part of GM and the American automotive landscape. The future is electric and we are all driving it.
This is why the Volt should be a CUV if they want it to sell better. I bet Rav 4 hybrid sales will be great (hybrid version already sells more than twice as many as Volt). It would be even better vehicle if it were a plug in like the Volt.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But GM sales in China soared in May

• General Motors (NYSE:GM) announces it delivered 295,282 vehicles in China during May. The mark is 16.9% higher than the delivery level from a year ago.
• Deliveries by brand: Cadillac +30% to 8,568 units; Buick +61% to 100,864 units; Baojun +80% to 43,515 units; Chevrolet -24% to 38,115 units; Wuling -5% to 104,170 units.
• Demand for SUVs, MPVs, and luxury vehicles stayed strong for GM during the month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts