GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM Introduces Chevy Petro ERICV

GM finally delivers the Chevy Petro, the worlds first ERICV (Extended Range Internal Combustion Vehicle). In development for years at a cost of billions, the new all-gasoline powered vehicle runs for hundreds of miles on a tank of gasoline and costs less than an electric car.

Initial reviews do not bode well.

Car & Driver called it "noisy; full of unwanted cabin noise and vibrations" and "an unwelcome departure from the quiet electric ride we are all used to". "Just to start the car requires a loud, irritating 'starter' motor that grinds and clashes if you hold the key in start too long. The fumes from the tailpipes are obnoxious" one test driver wrote. "I had to turn the radio volume way up just to hear the music over the engine noise," wrote another.

Road & Track noted: "This car has no power at 0 RPM! The engine must be highly revved to achieve the torque a traditional electric car has at 0 RPM. What were the engineers thinking?"

Consumer Reports questions the economic value of a car that costs more per mile than a traditional electric vehicle. "Sure the upfront cost is less, but the average consumer will be paying 4x or more per mile driven. This car will cost way more over the long term. We also note that the car will require more frequent and costly oil and brake services."

The National Center for Responsible Driving (funded by electric companies) points to recent incidents where the explosive and cancerous fuel used in the Petro has been implicated in a number of fires that have burned down garages, houses, and even a new "filling station" due to a spark of static electricity at the nozzle. An unexpected fire at a test facility occurred when the Petro burst into flame immediately upon impact. Apparently the HID headlights sparked fuel leaking from a ruptured tank holding the highly explosive gasoline.

Reports have also surfaced of at least one driver almost dying from carbon monoxide poisoning when a remotely started Petro filled his garage with deadly fumes. Congress is now launching an inquiry into the safety of gasoline engines.

Fox News Neil Cavuto continues to lampoon the smoke billowing from the Petro's exhaust pipes, likening the car to an ancient steam engine. "Driving 30 minutes to filling station to stand outside in the cold and snow is just silly!" he remarked. "What happens when my wife forgets to turn off the gas pump nozzle?" he asks.

Online comments are overwhelming negative as well, pointing to the health hazards of gasoline, the environmental impact of gasoline and its production, and the pollutants that burning it produce. "Where do people think gasoline comes from, it's not free!" remarked one commenter.

The Petro, developed under then President Obama, is now disparagingly being called the "Romneycar". "It's Big Lobbyists trying to force consumers to buy a Romneycar that will cost more to operate over the life of the car!!" remarked "petr0_isa_POS".

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
Nice spin and so true! Man it's funny how people just automatically dislike new tech sometimes and fear change. Of course when it disrupts a multi-billion dollar industry that adds more fuel to the fire (pun intended). But this does a great job of (hopefully) getting people to view it differently if the EV were dominent before the ICE. Very creative and funny post, Steverino!

-JT

·
Registered
569 Posts
What???? They want us to drive around vehicules equiped with humongous highly flammable gaz tanks??? My bet is it wont catch on and people will reject this technology, i mean having to go to a petro station or whatever they call it just to fuel up?...sheeeshh i mean whats next prpane, diesel, hydrogen..... Theyll fail!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great Job! So true!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Have you heard about the ERICE? Dumbest car I have every heard of!
-Cavuto

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

Great post and a special shout-out to voltage692 for the Cavuto quote.

This definitely needs to go viral! Hats off to Steverino.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Please submit this to the Onion - it would fit in perfectly with their style of humor!

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm getting a powerful sense of de ja vu. Didn't we have this same conversation in about 1907? First it was ERICV vs. the horse and then ERICV vs. the electric car. Maybe Neil Cavuto's great grandfather was blasting the ERICV on behalf of the horse for the New York yellow sheets, LMAO.

Nice piece Steverino!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have to go to work now, did you fill it up? No, I thought you were going to fill it up. You always fill it up, why did you leave it for me to fill up when you know I have to go to work early today? Wow, I can see this is going to create some real problems.

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
People in this forum are a friendly crowd, so what the heck, I decided to have a little "what if" fun.

It just stuck me that if history had happened differently and the electric car became the dominant horseless carriage 100 years ago, what would it be like if a car manufacturer introduced an ICE car in a year or two? How would people react if all they had known were electric cars, and elevtric cars were the norm. Put the brake shoe on the other foot so to speak.

And the thought of Neil Cavuto's poor wife (who apparently always forgets to plug in toasters, hair dryers, cell phones, coffee makers, etc.) having to deal with filling a gas powered car was too good to pass up. Anyway, just having a little break from all the serious stuff.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I had the same thought, being on planet Htrae reading that. For a while I was fooled, I hate to admit :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Finally found this... awesome!
(my stomach hurts from laughing so hard)
WEll done Steverino!
:D
WOT

·
Registered
538 Posts
This definitely deserves a BUMP to the top of the list! Too funny!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hey, it's not all Romney's fault, the design was initiated and approved during President Kerry's term.. I mean, what with the power generation lobby getting capacitive charging into all the roads at taxpayer's expense all those decades ago, it's an unfair advantage.. And where can you find these "gas stations" anyway?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts