1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
Conjecture. And there is no charge port on the car pictured. I highly doubt it will be charged by induction or that they moved the port to the inconvenient gas tank area. Besides, it's twice the size of the one under wraps :)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Conjecture. And there is no charge port on the car pictured. I highly doubt it will be charged by induction or that they moved the port to the inconvenient gas tank area.
Probably just left it out. That thing certainly isn't an ICE, looking at the front end.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Speaking of charge port location, what the best location? IMHO the charge port should be in the center front of the car. What say you?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Speaking of charge port location, what the best location? IMHO the charge port should be in the center front of the car. What say you?
Personal preference I suppose, but in my case, my garage side wall is closer than either end wall. So when I park my Volt, the charge port is right there next to the EVSE. There would be more of a trip hazard if it connected to the front. I might have a different opinion though if I had to use public charging.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you think of where is the most likely area of a vehicle to be damaged in a "typical" accident, then the center front is a really bad idea. Vehicles travel in the forward direction and are most likely to strike other vehicles or stationary objects with the front of the vehicle. Second worst would be in the rear because most cars are traveling "nose to tail" in the same direction. That leaves the sides with the doors being obvious areas to eliminate. So that leaves either where the "fuel" door is on most cars in the rear quarters, or the aft areas of the front fenders where the Volt and Bolt charge ports are located. My vote is in the front fenders because I would most likely pull into a charging stations nose first. To me the Tesla location is not convenient since you have to back the vehicle into most public charging stations. Now it just comes down to left or right side, with left hand drive being most common I'll go for left side for convenience to the operator.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Most garages in itty bitty urban houses are very short and the Tesla wouldn't fit but a Bolt barely does. Now, you're telling me to squeeze in the front to plug it in?

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
My Volt and Bolt have the perfect location: where the driver gets out. Very convenient. I mounted my EVSE opposite the charge port so it's a 3 second plugin process.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely NOT the rear. If I owned an i3 or Tesla, I would need to park backwards in my driveway every time I wanted to charge. The Volt/Bolt/Ford Energi placement of in front of the driver's door seems the best overall.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The image has maybe had the charge port door edited off, it looks like the badge was edited. Hard to say. I noticed the omission of this vehicle in this report as well. I have no reason to doubt that the graphic is of an upcoming EV; it really looks like it could be a Bolt CUV.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think GM made the "mistake" on-purpose. They are starting to figure out how to get "free" publicity. The whole intent is to create online "buzz". Mission accomplished, as this thread illustrates. And now by switching the photo with a covered vehicle that appears very different in shape, they make more "buzz", as this thread reinforces. Even leaving off the charge port.

Better than Volt dancers and robotic deer. Almost as good as a llama in the background.

·
8,680 Posts
It'd be nice to have something near the centerline of the car for street charging/parking - or even a duplicate port on the right side of the car, maybe. The point about collisions is well taken, though - the port at the front center is just about as bad as the charger module on the right front corner, and a rear center would be almost as bad.

Honestly I like Tesla's approach better than GM/Ford's, because I don't have to walk around the driver's door to get to the plug. If the car had "suicide" doors, then the GM placement would be great.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I don't notice the door since I close it before plugging in anyway. I think there is more than one correct place to plug in, just pick one and people will deal with it. Be consistent between models of same brand.

However, pretend I have a 2 car garage with 2 plug ins. It could be nice if one was on the right and one on the left so I could park with both near the center making switching between the cars when one was charged easier, or both on the outside and have an EVSE on either side, or maybe it would be nicer if both were on the front. Each person will have their own opinion on this. I would hope GM sticks to front left for consistency sake.

·
8,680 Posts
I don't notice the door since I close it before plugging in anyway. I think there is more than one correct place to plug in, just pick one and people will deal with it. Be consistent between models of same brand.

However, pretend I have a 2 car garage with 2 plug ins. It could be nice if one was on the right and one on the left so I could park with both near the center making switching between the cars when one was charged easier, or both on the outside and have an EVSE on either side, or maybe it would be nicer if both were on the front. Each person will have their own opinion on this. I would hope GM sticks to front left for consistency sake.
Or you put the EVSEs in the center with plugs on the left on both cars, and back the car in to the left slot...

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Volt and Bolt have the perfect location: where the driver gets out. Very convenient. I mounted my EVSE opposite the charge port so it's a 3 second plugin process.
I agree it's perfect. I can reach the door when I forget to close it while barely getting out of the car. And yes, this happens more than I'd like to admit.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wouldn't a wireless charging system solve all of these potential "plug in" issues? (just drive over a pad...forward or backwards) What is the downside to wireless that is holding this option back?

·
8,680 Posts
Wouldn't a wireless charging system solve all of these potential "plug in" issues? (just drive over a pad...forward or backwards) What is the downside to wireless that is holding this option back?
Aside from losing 12% of the energy as heat during the wireless transfer in even the best systems? Cost. You need big coils on both sides, and electronics to create the high frequency to drive the coils and to convert that back into DC on the car side.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 - 20 of 25 Posts