GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was totally in love with the new Chevy Volt concept. I figured this was the point in Chevy's lifeline a turn around would happen. Chevy would soon be able to chip away at the asian imports and leave its boring generic cars behind. Our nations needs hybrids for many reasons, but more importantly our nation needs a USA car company that isn't AFRAID to be non-generic. When I think of an American car company like Chevy I think of boring designs and cheap parts. The Chevy Volt concept car made me think it was time to invest in Chevy Stock.....thank God I waited. I will now pour more money into Toyota stock :-(

Chevy, you made a big mistake by going with a generic looking hybrid. I have no sympathy for your executives or stock holders when your stock goes deeper and deeper into the red. The share holders shouldn't have fired the last CEO alone. They should have asked the entire design team to leave.

I'm convinced Chevy's designers are made up of 50 year olds. Get some new blood for gosh sakes.

(Thanks for coming out with some sort of hybrid though, even if it's ugly. The soccer parents will love this car.)

·
3,689 Posts
When you're young and stupid you select your girlfriends based on their looks and not their substance. You want the hot looking girl with the bitchy personality. She looks good on your arm and people think you are cool and a winner.

As you get older you realize that dating a woman with no substance or a personality that works against you is energy draining. If you select your girlfriends by looking at what is on the inside and less about what is on the outside you will be much more happy.

Just a little advice that can be used in many aspects of your life. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lets get the Volt going, and hopefully GM will bring out some other types of evs like pickups and sports cars but for now lets get off oil, and speaking of making investments part of the problem in the US is its people look for foreign investments and products putting us farther in the hole, go America go Volt dont go Japan

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you're young and stupid you select your girlfriends based on their looks and not their substance. You want the hot looking girl with the bitchy personality. She looks good on your arm and people think you are cool and a winner.

As you get older you realize that dating a woman with no substance or a personality that works against you is energy draining. If you select your girlfriends by looking at what is on the inside and less about what is on the outside you will be much more happy.

Just a little advice that can be used in many aspects of your life. Take it or leave it.
Heh, great analogy! Well if the drawings from the New York Times are any indication, I'm pretty sure most people will agree it is the best looking green car anyway. Of course, some people will never be happy unless is looks like a race car. Those people were never the intended market I'm sure.

We're at the end of cheap oil. We are facing Global Climate Change. We are completely dependent on OPEC. Seriously, why does anyone give a s*** what a car that can help us get out of this mess looks like?:confused:

·
3,689 Posts
People, THIS is an ugly car.

http://photo.net/photo/pcd0796/smart-swatch-car-38.4.jpg

The Volt may not be a Corvette but its not ugly.

Tell that to the Indian guy that has to ride is bike 30 miles in the rain to get to the city. I'm guessing he would think the Smart Car is a beautiful miracle. The truth is, we are spoiled and selfishly using non-renewable resources without the slightest hint of guilt that others are going without. We should be flogged! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think it's sad you lack so much self confidence you think you have to settle for just one or the other. This doesn't make sense to you because you always settle for second place, but others on this planet shoot for first place. You should try it out sometime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's sad you lack so much self confidence you think you have to settle for just one or the other. This doesn't make sense to you because you always settle for second place, but others on this planet shoot for first place. You should try it out sometime.

That is a Straw Man arguement. What he was really saying was that what YOU consider first place may actually be the questionable route. If first place to YOU is good looks, well then you will get a less efficient vehicle. What we consider first place is perfrmance. Range, mileage, carbon emissions, reliance on OPEC and many other factors are scientifically, socially, and politicaly far more important than looks. Besides, how can you say he lacks self confidence if he is the one who doesn't care what his car looks like. To me, nothing screams insecure more than a guy in a flashy car.

Form follows function. If you try to reverse that basic idea, you will find nothing but a loss of function. That is a fact.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey Hybridnation

I read your slanted opinion on the Volt

I do not know how many times people have to talk about aerodynamics and still do not get the point across--

The fact is that Europeans have some ugly looking cars but they don't care - its all about efficiency. If you want a sport car there are lots out there - you must have a lot of money for GAS!

And yes 7mpg is very significant - even a gain of 1 mpg is an improvement - every MPG saved = less oil.

Besides - if you were really smart you would not put ANY MONEY into ANY car company - very poor investment strategy!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
understandable

I was totally in love with the new Chevy Volt concept. I figured this was the point in Chevy's lifeline a turn around would happen. Chevy would soon be able to chip away at the asian imports and leave its boring generic cars behind. Our nations needs hybrids for many reasons, but more importantly our nation needs a USA car company that isn't AFRAID to be non-generic. When I think of an American car company like Chevy I think of boring designs and cheap parts. The Chevy Volt concept car made me think it was time to invest in Chevy Stock.....thank God I waited. I will now pour more money into Toyota stock :-(

Chevy, you made a big mistake by going with a generic looking hybrid. I have no sympathy for your executives or stock holders when your stock goes deeper and deeper into the red. The share holders shouldn't have fired the last CEO alone. They should have asked the entire design team to leave.

I'm convinced Chevy's designers are made up of 50 year olds. Get some new blood for gosh sakes.

(Thanks for coming out with some sort of hybrid though, even if it's ugly. The soccer parents will love this car.)
I too was disappointed with the design change of the Volt but I understand why. 7 extra miles IS a lot and a more "generic" design would appeal to a broader demographic of consumer. So strictly from a marketing perspective it would seem wise to make that change. Regarding the statement on Eurpoeans driving ugly vehicles because they're more concerned with function rather than looks, I wonder why you can't have both?? But then that also comes down to personal taste as to what is ugly. I'll still buy a Volt and be happy. But the concept car looked much more unique and, in my opinion, much less generic.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I read your slanted opinion on the Volt
I don't think hybridnation's opinion is slanted any more than anyone else's opinion is slanted - it's just his opinion. I disagree with him, however.

I didn't like the styling of the concept Volt, but I was considering a purchase due to what was BENEATH the skin of the car - I want to reduce or eliminate my use of gasoline for both environmental and national security issues. So far, I am much happier with what seems to be the production vehicle. I am looking forward to seeing one in person.

I appreciate the posts from people who won't be buying a Volt solely due to its styling. I am trying hard to understand the "appearance vs. substance" discussion. Selecting a vehicle primarily based upon its appearance doesn't make sense to me, and I want to know the reason(s) behind this thought process. (Hence my poll: Volt Styling - Be Honest!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts