GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
General Motors' first electric pickup truck model will go on sale in the fall of 2021. General Motors understands truck buyers and... people who are new coming into the truck market," Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra said, speaking at an investor conference today.

https://www.businessinsider.com/general-motors-to-sell-electric-pickup-truck-in-2021-2019-11

Could it be the previously hinted at Hummer?

According to intel from forecasting firms, GM's first electric pickup will likely wear the Hummer badge.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hummer-electric-pickup-truck-production/

Or, more like the E-10 hot rod that took a vintage 1962 Chevrolet C-10 pickup truck and turned it into an electric vehicle using technology from the Chevy Bolt.
2019_SEMA_Chevrolet_E_10_Concept.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953718/gm-chevy-c-10-e-10-electric-pickup-sema-2019

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ford has said they will have both all electric and PHEV versions of the F150 in late 2020. GM better do the same or face losing that segment of the market to Ford. BTW, Ford trucks will qualify for the full $7500 tax crefit, GM will have none by that time.

The good thing about this is both Ford and GM understand trucks, so while they offer glitzy low capability "lifestyle" trucks, I hope that they will also offer electrified trucks capable of doing real work. For me this means capable of carrying or towing heavy loads 3 or 4 hundred miles at a stretch and being able to recharge easily and quickly without having to structure my trip around scarce chargers. Sure, we have all seen the ads for startup trucks that can; go far, carry heavy loads, or tow massive loads, but I remain skeptical that these trucks can both go far AND carry or tow heavy loads. BTW, unhitching and identifying your trailer each time you charge will get old real fast. Let's see what the truck guys, Ford, GM and Ran come up with.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^getting heavy duty towing plus range without major charging hassles sounds like a very tall order with current technology. I think the only practical, affordable way you get all that is with an EREV design that has a towing mode that works like a super mountain mode where the charge threshold is set at full charge. That could work, plus the vehicle would have an easy way to provide a lot of electrical power at a job site for powering tools.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
General Motors' first electric pickup truck model will go on sale in the fall of 2021. General Motors understands truck buyers and... people who are new coming into the truck market," Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra said, speaking at an investor conference today.
John Voelcker https://www.greencarreports.com/writer/10001529_john-voelcker
Purely coincidental that CEO Mary Barra confirms a schedule for GM's electric pickup truck the day #Tesla reveals its own #EV pickup truck to its adoring fanbase.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^getting heavy duty towing plus range without major charging hassles sounds like a very tall order with current technology. I think the only practical, affordable way you get all that is with an EREV design that has a towing mode that works like a super mountain mode where the charge threshold is set at full charge. That could work, plus the vehicle would have an easy way to provide a lot of electrical power at a job site for powering tools.
Totally agree!

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford has said they will have both all electric and PHEV versions of the F150 in late 2020. GM better do the same or face losing that segment of the market to Ford. BTW, Ford trucks will qualify for the full $7500 tax crefit, GM will have none by that time.

The good thing about this is both Ford and GM understand trucks, so while they offer glitzy low capability "lifestyle" trucks, I hope that they will also offer electrified trucks capable of doing real work. For me this means capable of carrying or towing heavy loads 3 or 4 hundred miles at a stretch and being able to recharge easily and quickly without having to structure my trip around scarce chargers. Sure, we have all seen the ads for startup trucks that can; go far, carry heavy loads, or tow massive loads, but I remain skeptical that these trucks can both go far AND carry or tow heavy loads. BTW, unhitching and identifying your trailer each time you charge will get old real fast. Let's see what the truck guys, Ford, GM and Ran come up with.
I note that your list of requirements did not include a price point... That will determine whether your shopping list can be met.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
440 Posts

·