1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This article is full of errors. Super Cruise does not have active lidar, for example.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This article is full of errors. Super Cruise does not have active lidar, for example.
But it does use LIDAR mapping technology though. I don't even think Tesla does that.
Looking at their busted promises of FSD and even EAP, only a matter of time till Tesla hops on the LIDAR bandwagon.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tesla does not use LIDAR and probably never will. LIDAR has a fairly low-speed detection range and still is expensive.

The article does have a point, but, I don't see a few months delay causing any huge issues long term for Tesla.

·
Administrator
20,186 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The most interesting sentence in referenced The Sydney Morning Herald Article
http://www.smh.com.au/business/inno...-claims-are-full-of-crap-20171005-gyvd7n.html

A fully autonomous vehicle available for consumers to buy, however, could be 10 to 15 years away, Mr Miller said.(Scott Miller is GM's director of autonomous vehicle integration)
I'll go with Mary Barra's quote: "Sooner than you think". But it all depends on lawyers. If they demand they get rich off AV technology, it will be a long time. That is, AV tech must be perfect. If the lawyers get overruled by legislation or courts, and it becomes, "AVs are safer than humans, therefore, not liable", which is how we got airbags, then it will be less than 5 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts