GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
**** UPDATE: ISSUE WAS RESOLVED AMICABLY WITH THE HELP OF VOLT ADVISERS. I TAKE BACK THE ABOVE SUBJECT LINE :) ****

Really feel left out in the cold on this one:

I put a deposit down on a CA low emissions Volt through my dealer Feb 24. Meanwhile, I'm renting a car (assured of no more than a 6 week wait).

A week later news comes out about the shut down. My dealer told me my order would be fulfilled before the shutdown.

My Volt made it all the way to the end of the assembly line before I was told not only was my car going to sit unfinished at the end of the line, but the line had shut down almost a week early.

(Even better, my dealer tells me there were people who ordered cars after me and still had theirs completed).

Now I'm expected to wait 12 weeks from the time of my order (best case according to the dealer) for the privilege of owning a Volt.

So here i am with a growing car rental bill, already $600 in the hole with no end in sight.

My dealer looked around for completed cars, every time he found one, it was already sold. According to him there isn't 1 HOV volt in all of California that isn't fully loaded and $45,000.

After I was strung along and assured I wouldn't have to wait so long -- Crickets. Nothing from GM. No word, no assistance. I'm being ignored. The moderator for the Volt twitter handle said he'd connect me with customer service and they were working on my problem but a week and $$ later, I havent received a word from anyone. The twitter moderator is now ignoring me.

No "thank you for your patience," no "we value your business," no "we apologize for the wait." Nothing. GM doesn't care.

If this is how GM treats you when you're TRYING to give them your business, I can't imagine how they might treat you're stuck with a $40,000 car...

And GM is doubling down on PR to win the public? I'm trying to give them business and they couldn't be doing more to drive me away!

Time to start looking for a Prius?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would press the dealership for a loaner car since you have to wait a lot longer than expected. They were the ones that gave you the timeframe. GM does not guarantee any dates. The Volt will be well worth the wait. I was waiting ever since the concept over 4 years ago and I would do it all over again. This is the best car I've ever been in. Having rented a 2010 Prius the Volt doesn't even compare. Its a completely different car. You will also find that Prius's are hard to find as well. The Summer driving season and the price of gas are causing fuel efficient cars to see really fast. Best of Luck to you. Hang in there!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My dealer told me my order would be fulfilled before the shutdown.

Time to start looking for a Prius?
Your beef is with your dealer, which is not GM, GM didn't give you any time frames or promises.

Good luck on the Prius, your chance of getting one in 2012 is zero

FYI, If your Volt is on the line, not completed ( I doubt this ) your looking at 6 weeks best case before you would have it

You need to weigh the cost of getting the more expensive Volt against the what your rental fee for two more months will cost

·
Registered
915 Posts
Dealer bull not GM as has been said... Did you get an order number? you can track this yourself if you have one.

I would press the dealer to give you a loaner although if they didn't promise you anything not sure they will help you out. I think 6 weeks is very optimistic from Order to delivery in CA.

·
Registered
484 Posts
While it's not GM's fault, the Volt advisors might be able to put some pressure on the dealership, so it could be worth contacting them still.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Now that I'm tracking all the new VINS, I can be a little bit of help

Here is whats new ... you have at best 5 choices and they are all full option cars

Listed in the last 5 days HOV Volts

No longer for sale
1G1RE6E45CU114928
1G1RE6E45CU116260
1G1RF6E45CU115879
1G1RF6E45CU116000
1G1RH6E41CU115937
1G1RH6E42CU118930
1G1RH6E43CU115860
1G1RH6E47CU115425
1G1RH6E49CU118245
1G1RH6E49CU120075

Listed for Sale

1G1RH6E44CU116063
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=63702449&Log=0

1G1RH6E46CU119675
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=63702449&Log=0

1G1RF6E40CU118771

1G1RH6E41CU120071

1G1RH6E49CU120075

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thats so frustrating. I think GM should have been a little more optimistic and not shutdown that long. But I guess its cheaper to do one long shutdown instead of many smaller. Hang in there. I had my car breakdown last year and I wanted to replace it with a Volt but the roleout in Illinois was late and I either had repair my old car for about 1.5K or I could take a trip to Michigan and drive a Volt home. I took the trip and it made the whole thing a big adventure which was fun. 6 months and the Volt its not just a car its a my special car that I went great lengths to get.

Sometimes the trouble to get something will make it even better.

But it sucks with the whole paying for the rental car, anyway you could somehow borrow a car on a longer term cheaper?

3,605 Posts
@ CA-VoltSeeker,

I do want to apologize for your experience so far. Could you please send me your contact information and the dealer you have been working with in a PM and maybe we can help you out with this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fault the dealer for stringing me along, BUT...

The dealer didn't shut down the assembly line early with incomplete open orders from before the shutdown announcement.

Also the dealer who doesnt seem to have any control over this, isn't behaving like it isn't worth their time to acknowledge me or give a buyer some measure of attention or support. Are they too big and proud? --*Seems counterproductive to their stated current goal of "relaunching" and winning people over. *

I get that the Volt is a desirable vehicle. *I want one. Its got great advantages, otherwise I would've abandoned ship already. *I just feel that GM isn't behaving like they value me as a customer which is giving me very big reservations about following through.

Those rented car keys burning a hole in my pocket aren't making things much easier either...

I am encouraged by the message from Volt Advisor Trevor though, and hopefully he can help me eat my words. I'll update the forum with the outcome.

By the way, thank you for the info Henry_FL!

·
4,871 Posts
The dealer should definitely give you a loaner so you're not renting a car for weeks on end. Volt advisors can likely help with this. Maybe they'll even let you use their demo Volt, if they have one.

Also, who told you your vehicle is on the end of the assembly line? The dealer? Dealer's aren't always known for accurate data, and I would think that the factory would finish out any vehicles partially assembled before shutting down.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with your dealer. But I'll have to agree with the many others who have responded so far that the [very generalized] title of this post is just not correct. Most of us have been amazed with the level of individual attention GM has given to Volt owners so far. It does sound like the dealer is trying to "pass the buck" to some degree. And the timing of the shutdown is some bad luck for you as well. Sounds like there is a very high demand for the California Volts. I'm sure it has been frustrating so far, but I do hope that you'll be able to work it out one way or another. Volt Advisors make things happen, and you can tell GM is really keeping an eye on how things are going out there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This is a dealer issue. Locate a dealer willing to get vehicles from other dealers, yours doesn't seem to be interested. The Volt advisors can help with that. And I don't think GM stops and starts it's vehicle lines with individual customers in mind when thousands of cars are involved and they are selling to dealers and not individuals.

·
Registered
569 Posts
dont quit on searching for a volt, that could be a big mistake on your part and your loss, not GMs. Obviously, we,as consumers, are used to get what we want, when we want it. Apparently, not so with the Volt. But i tell ya, this is by far the best vehicule ivw ever had, period and if i had to wait a year to get one, i would only enjoy and cherish it more once i get it. Hang in there, try any way you can to get another car for now, there are only solutions not problems. Dont take it personel, itx just bad luxk for now ive owned the car for almost 3 weeks, and i absolutely love it and so does my wife. I dondrive much because of my condition but she does a lot andnow she walks with her nose raised so high i could spread 20 dollar bills on the ground and she would not see them...and now the HHR just sits in the parking and has been dubbed the gaz machine and is sad. Dont quit cause you will think about the Volt everytime you gaz up in whatever you decide to buy, hang in there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It sounds trite to say "I can feel your pain" but its true this time. My dealership sent my order in and GM confirmed receipt of it and scheduled the build for the week of April 23rd. Missed getting mine built before the shutdown by a whisker.<Sigh> So now I'm waiting. The thing that just doesn't make sense to me about the shutdown is this - GM claims the shutdown was as a result of excessive inventory building up. Well, customer orders don't result in excessive inventory - they are built, delivered to the dealer, prepped and then sold directly to the waiting customer - ergo, no inventory build-up. What you get instead is an instant sale where the dealer gets their money right away and GM gets theirs equally as fast. So why couldn't GM have gone ahead and knocked out all the customer orders BEFORE shutting down the line, making the customers happy, raising the sales figures and putting more money into the coffers rather than letting those of us with orders in place cool our heels for 7+ weeks? This certainly was not a good public relations effort on GM's part. And it will probably make for lower April/May sales figures than might have been seen otherwise.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
This thread more than anything reminds me that GM's decision to completely shut down the plant for 5 weeks was a big mistake. It made for very bad press and made the Volt look like GM was declaring it a loser, and seems out of whack with other stories we hear about car shortages and european demand, plus it's also apparently causing this guy's problem right here. GM can be an odd combination of genius and wtf.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are 4488 Volts listed on Cars.com right now:
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/chevrolet/volt/_/N-ma8Zfh1Zr0xZm5d?mkId=20053&mdId=35025&rd=100000&zc=98208&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28880&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&searchSource=SORT&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&pgId=2102&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=location&sf2Dir=ASC

Go to this crappy dealer, get your deposit back, and get another Volt from another dealer who has what you want in stock.

No excuse to whine about it, dealer is a commodity, get it someplace else.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
I fault the dealer for stringing me along, BUT...

The dealer didn't shut down the assembly line early with incomplete open orders from before the shutdown announcement.
I wish you and many others would have have stepped up early and perhaps the shutdown would not have happened. Think of it from that perspective a little. <pause> But I acknowledge their timing of when the CA vehicles were available did not jive very well at all with the shutdown. I think the plan for CA vehicles was in motion for many months (late 2011) tho but the shutdown had to be determined early 2012.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think too many people don't realize the value of the HOV lane sticker. In July 2011, 80,000 or so California Prius owners no longer had a carpool lane sticker that they got so accustomed to and loved who are now stuck again in traffic. The Prius took off first in California. IMO, if your "green" car does not sell well in one of the most green focused states in the union, then there is a serious problem with your strategy. Two factors in this that affected the early Volt sales was the ULEV rating and the lack of the car pool lane sticker.

I'd say an average person who could reasonably afford a Volt makes about $25/hr. In CA rush hour traffic probably adds about 30 minutes to the commute about 30 minutes each way (1 hour). 5 hours per week * 50 work weeks * 3 years and you're already talking about $18,750 in time savings JUST for the HOV lane sticker. Not to mention the additional $1500 CA incentive/10 year warranty, and much cleaner emissions....

I was really surprised GM did that 5 week shutdown on the eve of the CA HOV lane sticker arrival....but now that it has arrived, I expect sales to go crazy :).

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
<snip> The Prius took off first in California. IMO, if your "green" car does not sell well in one of the most green focused states in the union, then there is a serious problem with your strategy.<snip>
Interesting point since the LEAF has always been eligible AFAIK (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm) yet the Volt sales numbers are almost indistinguishable as far as general car sales are concerned. CA has 40% of the LEAF owners (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-electric-stations-20120324,0,3280349.story "Nissan ... said more than 40% of the 11,000 Leafs sold in the U.S. are being used in California.").

1 - 20 of 37 Posts