GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, This is my first time posting.

I have a 2012 Volt that I bought back in March here in Tempe, AZ. Up until recently, I told everyone who asked that this was the best car I ever owned. On 5 occasions in the past 4 months, I enter my car in the morning on the way to work, and the 12 volt battery is completely drained--so i cannot turn the car on. On each of the 5 occasions, the dealer sent a tow-truck to come take the car. They keep it a couple days then return it to me and essentially say we have no idea why this is happening, but here is what the GM folks think it is. Each time their answer is different. The first time they told me that the OnStar app on my iphone was constantly sending info to the car throughout the night and draining the battery. So i deleted the app. Car dies again. Next was the fact that I did not turn the bluetooth off on my phone when i got out of the car, so I started doing that. Car dies again. Then it was my level 2 charger, so I used the standard charger. Car dies again. Now it is the fact that I use bluetooth at all, and i have been instructed to never pair my phone or use bluetooth again. I don't blame the dealership, they are not trained on this, and they just keep passing this nonsense that GM is giving them. My service advisor told me to turn this car in as a lemon.

So, i contacted GM and said I want to turn the car in as a lemon. Initially, they said they would probably be able to offer a trade in for any other GM car. So we went through a process. 2 weeks pass, then my GM advisor calls and says that they will do nothing for me (except free tire rotations for 24 months or 2 years) because my car is a lease. My car is NOT a lease. I bought it! So she takes a couple more days to "investigate" more. Then she calls me and says that they will do nothing for me because I have an iPhone 4S and that is the cause of all the problems--not their responsibility. I can't believe this. I'm not even sure yet if the iPhone is the problem, but even if it were, I would expect more people to have had this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I really the only Volt owner with an iPhone 4S? This makes no sense. I am incredibly frustrated. I am 90% sure that my car is defective and GM is trying to saddle me with a defective product that I paid over $40k for that I won't be able to sell for full value in the future. Please help if you have any experience with this, or any advise to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a 4S that is paired with my 2012. A couple of months ago, I was checking my phone billing and noticed that my data usage showed a transmission nearly every hour all through the nite, every nite, at a few kb's each. I suspect the on star app but no battery/no start issues to report.

Most of the bluetooth/dead battery issues I've seen reported here have been caused by continuing a phone call after powering down the car and getting out. The bluetooth remains on due to a software bug. I think there is an update/patch for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
iPhone 4s, 2011 volt, I use bluetooth all the time, I talk on the phone after car is off a lot, even until the entertainment/bluetooth system shuts off (10 minutes), and I've not had a problem like you're describing.

Have your 12v battery checked. it may be bad.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Wow ashams, that's terrible! Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a 2012 and iPhone 4S and have never had a drained battery. I don't think the phone is your problem. I also had an iPhone 4 for about the first 6 months of my ownership and had no issues with that either. I hope you get things worked out.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
There is no excuse. I have a 2012 Volt. I have had it paired with an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5 for over a year. I have never experienced a dead battery.

There is a software update available from GM that supposedly fixes this specific issue.

When you say that you contacted GM... Whom exactly did you speak with? Was it your Volt advisor? Was it some other department of GM? Was it someone at your dealer?

Contrary to what many people assume... Your Chevy dealer is not GM. Dealers are independently owned and operated. Your best bet in getting this issue cleared up is to contact a Volt advisor at ( 877) 486-5846. Volt advisors are trained specifically to deal with issues related to your Volt.

·
Registered
332 Posts
NO WAY

GF has a 4S, I have a 4S. I haven't had any problems whatsoever in the time I've owned my car. The dealer is giving you a run around and/or doesn't want to deal with repairing the car. My guess is they replaced the 12V, then the next few times just charged it up when you brought it in and didn't do anything else. There is NO WAY an iPhone can DRAIN a 12V car battery overnight when plugged into the car and certainly not via the Onstar computer powering up every 30 minutes or so. Charging via level2 causing it? HA! I would've been on the phone to my Volt advisor the second I heard that one. Explain to me how charging at 240 vs 120 would cause your 12V battery to die when there's a separate converter that charges the 12V battery independently of the main battery. If anything I'd point at that converter as the problem. It's air cooled and with you being in AZ if the fan became blocked by something the converter may have failed prematurely. Simple fix and you're out the door again. Lemon? Nah, just a horrible dealership. Which is exactly why Tesla has taken the dealers out of the equation and why I choose to drive over an hour an a half to a dealer that sells more volts than the small dealers that live nearby. Find another dealer.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Call you Volt advisor back and ask them to change the 12 Volt battery. Tell him many other have the same phone and do not have an issue. Suggest that you think there is a patch for the bluetooth issue.
Also mention that you are seriously considering contacting a lawyer if the issue is not resolved.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My iPhone 4S worked great! As well as my 5.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Call Volt Advisor and ask for an escalation to their manager. Make sure someone in charge is aware of what is going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback. They changed my 12V battery after the first or second time this happened. They also told me about ending the call before turning the car off. Believe me, I have been super diligent about it. As far as Volt advisor, I don't have one specific person to talk to. They all basically transfer me around. Does anyone know a Volt adviser that is competent? Last 2 time I asked for my advisor I was given a number with area code 666 which I have since learned doesn't exist.

·
Registered
38 Posts
First of all having your car towed to the dealer for a dead 12v battery is really dumb. In this case I am calling the owner a dumb dumb. I turned the blue tooth off on my volt because it sounded like it was in a tunnel.

My 12v battery died too in the volt with the blue tooth and it happens if you are making a call and turn the car off with the call still happening. The car still searches for the blue tooth and keeps the center stack active. If your phone is located in a bed room close to where the volt rests at night this is where the issues happens. Its a proximity issue.

That being said I am AWARE of the issue now and I make sure to end the bluetooth before I turn off the VEHICLE. I am sure GM told this guy so he is not being truthfull about going back 5 times lol!

This guy also needs to know how to jump start the car. Raise the hood install jumper cables. Going to the dealer for a dead battery waste the dealer time and his.

Now lemon law come on. That is silly. Some people LACK common scene.

Also the dealer should have brought out a set of jumpers and not bothered towing this.

GM also needs to tell people how to jump the car it save them a huge amount of issues.

EASY WAY TO JUMP A 12V Battery:::

Open hood hook one side of cable to ground post clearly marked. Then hook positive side to the 12 V terminal clearly marked.

Take 2 seconds. Just like a regular car.

3,600 Posts
Good Morning Ashams,

I replied to you under another thread you replied to with this post.

I apologize to hear of your experience thus far. There is a known concern with the iphones not disconnecting the Bluetooth in the Volt resulting in a drained 12v battery. There is a software update in the works to resolve this. If you could PM me the last of your VIN and contact information I would like to see what we can do for you due to the many roadsides you have experienced.
Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership is the one that always insists on towing the car in and not jumping it at my house, because they want to diagnose further. I have been 100% truthful and you obviously have some emotional problems that would allow you to make snap judgements and call people names.

First of all having your car towed to the dealer for a dead 12v battery is really dumb. In this case I am calling the owner a dumb dumb. I turned the blue tooth off on my volt because it sounded like it was in a tunnel.

My 12v battery died too in the volt with the blue tooth and it happens if you are making a call and turn the car off with the call still happening. The car still searches for the blue tooth and keeps the center stack active. If your phone is located in a bed room close to where the volt rests at night this is where the issues happens. Its a proximity issue.

That being said I am AWARE of the issue now and I make sure to end the bluetooth before I turn off the VEHICLE. I am sure GM told this guy so he is not being truthfull about going back 5 times lol!

This guy also needs to know how to jump start the car. Raise the hood install jumper cables. Going to the dealer for a dead battery waste the dealer time and his.

Now lemon law come on. That is silly. Some people LACK common scene.

Also the dealer should have brought out a set of jumpers and not bothered towing this.

GM also needs to tell people how to jump the car it save them a huge amount of issues.

EASY WAY TO JUMP A 12V Battery:::

Open hood hook one side of cable to ground post clearly marked. Then hook positive side to the 12 V terminal clearly marked.

Take 2 seconds. Just like a regular car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ian, Thank you for reaching out. Sorry, but i'm not able to PM for some reason. I'll call you at the number you provided.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry to hear from the issue. As a fellow iPhone 4s and Volt owner I have never experienced this. Looks like the problem is simply misdiagnosed time after time, and the dealer should be able to find the real cause what drains the battery. The dealer is incompetent, and threatening to invoke the lemon law is the right way to escalate that.

It does not seem that the iPhone can be blamed since the phone is not in the car. And even if a phone bluetooth is wonky, that must never be a reason for a dead battery. If its a software problem, then there must be many more people experiencing the same issue (given how popular the iPhone is). So my bet is that its really a hardware issue, either with the onstar module, the inverter or even something as dumb as a bad contact switch or wire.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I only have two comments. One is that, as mentioned, towing the car to the dealership because of a dead 12v battery is not very smart. I can see getting overly excited and doing that once. But several times? Second is that it's not apparent that this is a car problem at all. More than likely it's a phone problem. Apple is NOT known for solid software. If you doubt that think MAPS or the fact that you can't use Bootcamp with a 3TB drive in an iMac. (Since some people use the iPhone 4s with the Volt without an issue, including my wife BTW, it's also likely it's either a setting or a failure to upgrade).

This gets me to my conclusion. If I had a problem with a $200 phone working with my $40,000 car I'd get rid of the phone -- which was released AFTER the car BTW -- before trying to get GM to declare the car to be a lemon. And if that doesn't work for you, get a $25 battery charger. That should solve your problem as well.

As for all the posters who think this is GM's problem, I think you need to rethink the issue. I think the OP has unrealistic expectations and you're not helping by enabling him/her to continue down that road.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The dealership is the one that always insists on towing the car in and not jumping it at my house, because they want to diagnose further. I have been 100% truthful and you obviously have some emotional problems that would allow you to make snap judgements and call people names.
This is not rocket science. Unpair your phone and see what happens. That will tell you if it's the phone or not.

As for the dealer "insisting" that you take it in, I wouldn't call the dealer. You know it's a dead 12v battery at this point. The only issue is WHY it's being drained and taking it to the dealer is not going to shed any light on this question.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think you need to work with your Volt advisor before you start down a path you've eluded your ready to travel. If you call the number and give them your VIN, they'll be able to get you to the right person who is assigned to your vehicle.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good Morning Ashams,

I replied to you under another thread you replied to with this post.

I apologize to hear of your experience thus far. There is a known concern with the iphones not disconnecting the Bluetooth in the Volt resulting in a drained 12v battery. There is a software update in the works to resolve this. If you could PM me the last of your VIN and contact information I would like to see what we can do for you due to the many roadsides you have experienced.
Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service
Ian, with all due respect to you, Chevy and GM, you (GM and Chevy) have ownership info of every Volt owner. If there is a "Known" issue, send that info to all owners. Not all owners visit forums looking for info. How long has that issue been known? How long before there is a resolution?
Additionally if there are known issues then maybe any dealer that sells Volts should also have that info and inform potential buyers PRIOR to selling, maybe sign off a disclaimer? Or would that scare off potential buyers that don't search on line forums?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts