GM Volt Forum banner

How does the GM card rebate affect your Volt purchase decision?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that GM has announced accelerated production plans, I had to get serious about my purchase plans. As a grandfathered holder of the GM card that is not limited by model, I had expected to use my GM rebate to purchase my Volt. As I have not read of anyone in this forum using this grandfathered program, I decided to call the GM Card earnings people myself and get the scoop.

I was informed that the rebate will not be 'compatible' with the Volt until November. I asked for hard documentation. The rep went away and came back with the following tidbit- GM does not want to formally commit to this date, as they may either move this date closer or farther away in time.

The rep also stated that the earnings people would send out information when the rebate becomes applicable to the Volt. So I guess for those of us grandfathered GM card holders, we will just have to 'stay tuned' for updates. For me personally, I will just wait it out.

Since we have been told that GM folks read this forum, I hope those of you in similar circumstances will comment on this so that GM knows they are disappointing the faithful GM cardholders out there (grandfathered or not) who had built up their GM earnings with the expectation that a Volt was in the near future.

UPDATE I received a response from the GM Card Rebate folks. It seems the phone rep was slightly inaccurate. The Volt will become eligible for the rebate in November. So, to quote the response, "We apologize for your dissatisfaction in this matter but hope you will patiently await the Volt's eligibility in the GM Card Program."

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wish I could use my GM earnings but that the price to pay for early.

Matt

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was told by GM card that it was up to the dealers which cars they accepted GM bucks for.

I selected the first option, but would not wait. I'm ordering as soon as my local dealer allows.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It is too bad because I got one of these cards in the mail the other day and I would probably sign up for the card if it would work for the Volt. (With all my business expenses etc. I could probably come close to maxing out the rebate before the car arrives...). Oh well.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told by GM card that it was up to the dealers which cars they accepted GM bucks for.
Someone bum doped you. GM rebate is absolutely independent of dealer transaction; in fact, they tell you to work out your arrangements with the dealer and THEN inform them of your GM rebate. These rebate dollars are like a separate payment to dealer DIRECTLY FROM GM. Either GM pays them or not; it's not up to dealer at all. Used this rebate to buy cars since 1993, so I am well experienced with process. Regarding GM models, there is either a) a set dollar limit for the model as determined by GM or b) if you have the old grandfathered program like me, you SHOULD be able to use ALL of your accumulated rebate towards the current purchase (until now, with this newfangled Volt, that is)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Someone bum doped you. GM rebate is absolutely independent of dealer transaction; in fact, they tell you to work out your arrangements with the dealer and THEN inform them of your GM rebate. These rebate dollars are like a separate payment to dealer DIRECTLY FROM GM. Either GM pays them or not; it's not up to dealer at all. Used this rebate to buy cars since 1993, so I am well experienced with process. Regarding GM models, there is either a) a set dollar limit for the model as determined by GM or b) if you have the old grandfathered program like me, you SHOULD be able to use ALL of your accumulated rebate towards the current purchase (until now, with this newfangled Volt, that is)
Sorry, you're trying to make sense when there is none. The Volt is not eligible for card earnings to be applied. I tried and failed, myself. The Volt is also not eligible for a GM employee or friends and family discount.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Getting the GM card rebate would be nice, finding a dealership willing to sell at the employee discount price would be better.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, you're trying to make sense when there is none. The Volt is not eligible for card earnings to be applied.
As previously mentioned, there are TWO versions of the GM Card out there. All recent acquisitions of this card enable you to accumulate your earnings ad nauseum, but limit the amount applied to individual models. The older version of the card prevents you from earning more than $500 per year, but enables you to apply the entire accumulated reward toward any purchase- that is until the Volt came on the scene. GM will have a hard time defending itself with respect to these grandfathered cards if it provides a sustained barrier toward using the rebate for a Chevy branded automobile- by any name. This grandfathered card only provided for exclusion under the Saturn nameplate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Multi-year lurker, 1st time poster (anywhere). Thank you everybody for all the amazing analysis and information you've provided over the years. Onto the main point of the post. I talked with the dealer I've been working with since 7/4/10 last night (I'm in a tier 2 state, but they are importing from other states to sell now at a significant markup) They informed me that I could start using my GM card points on 11/15/11, and that I could order the car in August. I asked if it would be a 2011 or a 2012 model year car, he asked GM but couldn't get confirmation either way. I've had my card since 1995 and am a member of the original $500/yr, $3500 maximum card group as well and currently have $3400 saved toward the purchase of a new car and will not be throwing away $3400 just so I can get the car 9 months earlier. I just keep praying that my current 13.5 yr old Grand Am lasts until it can be replaced. And YES I am very disapointed in GM for their decision on this particular topic, granted I'm an engineer and not a marketing genius, but it would seem to me that GM would want to keep current customers happy, not treat them like they are less desirable customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM Card Rebates

I have had the GM Card for many years now. I used it once when I bought my 2001 Camaro SS convertibe back in 2002. Here's the deal for me. I want to buy a Volt before the end of the year to get the tax credit ($7,500) for 2011. So if they do not allow me to use it this year I am going to cancel the card. There are a lot of cards out there giving cash back, so why waste that money on GM when they do not allow me to use it on the car I want. I figure that since here in California the Volt does not qualify for the state rebate of $2,500 this will help make up for that. The pricing of the Volt is another matter. The one I looked here at my local dealer was marked up from $45,800 to over $50,000. This was at the end of November. Well, that made me really mad. All that did was insure that I will not buy a Volt from them. If I can't use the GM Card and dealers are not pricing the car honestly I will buy the Leaf. The Nissan dealer I visited to drive the Leaf was up front about the price plus I can get the $2,500 from California. I would be interested in hearing from other GM Card holders and people who have priced the Volt a dealer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have had the GM Card for many years now. I used it once when I bought my 2001 Camaro SS convertibe back in 2002. Here's the deal for me. .... All that did was insure that I will not buy a Volt from them. .... I would be interested in hearing from other GM Card holders and people who have priced the Volt a dealer.
I also have been a card holder for many years. Used it on a Silverado and a Trail Blazer, and now on my Volt.

As you can see in my signature block I also walked from a bad dealer.

New dealer allowed me to use the max of $1000, no problems ... but check your card as this changes periodically ( I saw $50K end of Sept).

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't have the GM card so I don't know how good the rebate is, but if you buy from a dealer charging over MSRP then the overall value may not be that great anyway. I used my Costco AMEX card and bought through the Costo program for $500 under MSRP plus $50 towards parts and accessories plus $5000 paid on the AMEX with 1% cash back = another $50 off so $600 total savings and a no hassle buying experience.

It sounds like some longtime GM cardholders here have earned much more than $600 on their cards so I get why you would hold out, but if you just recently got a GM card and don't have a ton of past credit built up then I'm not sure if it's worth waiting when there are competivie card offers out there like Costco that you can use now. Please correct me if I'm off base here since I'm not very familiar with the GM card.

My full Costco buying experience:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...al-amp-A-service-from-Concord-Chevrolet!-LONG

JT

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Sure, it helps out. I already decided on the Volt before even getting the GM card.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got just over $2500 from my GM card plus $3500 from Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When I bought my Volt in July of 2012, I used a GM card with $2900.00 in rewards on it and received an additional $2900 toward the purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts