GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dec 1st was my GM card anniversary, which means I can pile on $10K on the credit card (on things I would have bought anyway) for 5% cash back (grandfathered before the new GM Buypower card which limits this to $250 per year). In a few months I should have my GM card rebat up to $2k. I know mathematically, I'm probably better off getting the buypower card, but I also working my way towards free Apple stuff with the Bsrclay card with Apple rewards. And who knows when GM will finally electrify the suburban or whether I might jump ship and get a tesla or future Porsche EV.

EDIT: Dang it, capital one and the GM card don't support ApplePay yet. Now I actually have to retrieve my credit card and I set it into the slot on every purchase.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! If you travel this is one of the top cards:

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/priceline-rewards-visa-card.html

First CAN accrue 5% in rewards for purchases but the kicker is you can redeem at 10% off on eligible travel purchases...
Except that's 5% on Priceline.com purchases. The GM card I have gets me 5% on everything. The travel company are I use is a Bank of America travel rewards which allows me to apply rewards points towards any prior travel in the last year including hotels, plane tickets, and car rentals. So it is unaffected by a particular airline's blackout dates for free tickets. I also have a chase freedom which gives 5% on particular things (alike restaurants or groceries) each quarter.

Alas, all of these points are just a gimmick to get you to stick with their product or partners products. Nobody ever got rich collecting points. I made my nest egg by working hard, getting pay increases, not spending money (including not buying cars every few years), then saving it away into 401k, Roth, and after tax mutual funds and stocks. The points thing only works for those who never carry a balance and are playing like it's Monopoly money. Once you carry a balance, the compounding interest pummels the points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like I have the same Gm card. It is an awesome card, I used the rewards (almost $3500) towards my first Volt purchase this week. Even though I've probably had that card for over 20 years, the Volt is my first Gm car. But I was able to let relatives use my rewards on two occasions for their car purchases.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, I got the GMBUYPOWER CARD just hoping for a top off offer. I generally just stick to one card for most of my purchases. We use the CITI Double Cash. 2% without thinking about it is pretty good...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
On the corvetteforum there are mentions of buypower $ being fungible, folks sell them for like 50 cents on the dollar. Haven't researched the matter myself as I haven't accumulated enough $ on mine to be significant yet.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wow, what did you have in rewards on it? And how long have you had it? And did you log in, get an email, or mail?
Before 2016, gm would send topoff offers in January, good on in stock vehicles purchased by march 1st. Alas, in 2016, I've received three $750 bonus offers, one per quarter, but sadly no topoff offers. These came as a mailer that you unfolded.

So unless someone else got topoffs in 2016, I'm afraid they might have ended that offer, or maybe I'm just unlucky. I've already purchased 2 cars for a total of $7200 off so maybe I'm getting punished for gaming the system (doing all my purchases from dec to feb/mar when I hit my cap, then switch to another card for different points). I'll try an experiment this year an dour all my fuel, auto repairs, and auto insurance on the card and see if using it throughout the year might get me a topoff.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...I might drop $750 on my GM card, just in case.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438834
I'm guessing there might be different incentive programs for different flavors of GM card. The original GM card gave you 5% rebates, limited to $500 per year good for 7 years, then stuff starts to expire. The new GM card was different, I think you got a lower percentage, no limits, but they limited the rebates so a spark netted ou $500, a regular car might have $1000, and a caddy might get you $2500. The new Buypower card would be awesome if you could somehow launder $3-4M of purchases through it, as that could net you a new few volt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the corvetteforum there are mentions of buypower $ being fungible, folks sell them for like 50 cents on the dollar. Haven't researched the matter myself as I haven't accumulated enough $ on mine to be significant yet.
I will sell mine for 50 cents on the dollar

·
Registered
244 Posts
My flawless 2014 Volt goes back next month so I too am hoping for the GM Card top-off to return in my mailbox. Got the $3k bump-up + Chevy Private offer toward my '14 netting a zero down $144.92/mo for 36mos lease. Doubt I can do that well again toward a 2017 but I'm willing to put in a yeoman's attempt to get close.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My flawless 2014 Volt goes back next month so I too am hoping for the GM Card top-off to return in my mailbox. Got the $3k bump-up + Chevy Private offer toward my '14 netting a zero down $144.92/mo for 36mos lease. Doubt I can do that well again toward a 2017 but I'm willing to put in a yeoman's attempt to get close.
It seems like a shame to give up a flawless volt. Alas, if you got it from Ally, it's not worth it trying to negotiate the residual down.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It seems like a shame to give up a flawless volt. Alas, if you got it from Ally, it's not worth it trying to negotiate the residual down.
The US Bank residual is $21,XXX. They first offered me a $17k buy-out and more recently a $15k buy-out, but it just ain't worth it to me. We'll see if the GM Card top-offs come about and what rebates are available Dec/Jan.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Anyone else get a GM Card top-off this week?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wait, did you get one?
I did not, but the original poster did. Thus far I have not found anyone else online who has received a Top-off. I'm counting on it to replace our Volt.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I did not, but the original poster did. Thus far I have not found anyone else online who has received a Top-off. I'm counting on it to replace our Volt.
I don't think OP said he got a topoff...only that he hit his anniversary date to where he could start building 5% rewards again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts