GM Volt Forum banner

GM Canada to hire 700 engineers in to drive research in self-driving cars

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  StreetUrchin 
#1 ·
http://business.financialpost.com/n...ineers-to-drive-research-in-self-driving-cars

General Motors Co. will hire about 700 engineers in Canada as it expands research into self-driving cars and other technology.

The Detroit-based company made the announcement in Oshawa, Ontario on Friday alongside Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne. GM, which produces six vehicle models in Ontario, will increase its group of engineers in Canada from about 300 to about 1,000 over “the next few years.”

The additional workers, to based in Oshawa and Markham, suburbs of Toronto, will underpin the push by the federal and provincial governments to boost innovation and renew manufacturing and high-tech development in the economy of Canada’s most populous province and one-time economic engine.

“We selected Canada for this expansion because of its clear capacity for innovation, proven talent and strong ecosystem of great universities, startups and innovative suppliers,” GM Executive Vice President Mark Reuss said in a statement.
Great news for GM and Ontario. And they drove a Bolt into the announcement. Too bad it didn't drive itself, but I guess that's what the research is for.

#5 ·
Because it will never happen.
Never say 'never'. I believe that A.I. equipped cars will be smarter than human drivers in the very near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.