GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/gm-canada-to-hire-700-engineers-to-drive-research-in-self-driving-cars

General Motors Co. will hire about 700 engineers in Canada as it expands research into self-driving cars and other technology.

The Detroit-based company made the announcement in Oshawa, Ontario on Friday alongside Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne. GM, which produces six vehicle models in Ontario, will increase its group of engineers in Canada from about 300 to about 1,000 over “the next few years.”

The additional workers, to based in Oshawa and Markham, suburbs of Toronto, will underpin the push by the federal and provincial governments to boost innovation and renew manufacturing and high-tech development in the economy of Canada’s most populous province and one-time economic engine.

“We selected Canada for this expansion because of its clear capacity for innovation, proven talent and strong ecosystem of great universities, startups and innovative suppliers,” GM Executive Vice President Mark Reuss said in a statement.
Great news for GM and Ontario. And they drove a Bolt into the announcement. Too bad it didn't drive itself, but I guess that's what the research is for.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Because it will never happen.
Never say 'never'. I believe that A.I. equipped cars will be smarter than human drivers in the very near future.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Never say 'never'. I believe that A.I. equipped cars will be smarter than human drivers in the very near future.
They already are in typical driving conditions.... once they can deal with the weather and severe changes in conditions/visibility.. just a matter of time and programming. There isn't anything we do a car that we can't teach an auto.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Because it will never happen. Fully automated cars will require closed networks of vehicles in constant communication. Who pays when a car crashes? Incremental improvements, sure, fully automated? Forget it.
Who pays... if you have an AI, there will likely be a special insurance policy and those are already being put in place (hint, the insurance companies are on board as they love the idea of a good driver that rarely makes a mistake or requires a payout)

Closed network? ... we've had self driving cars in demo for years and even fleet trucks operating within normal traffic...

Constant communication has been approved by the NHTSA and are likely going to be slated as mandatory in all cars not just AI as the technology rolls out. Even a car that has an issue with broadcasting, will be able to function since it has a variety of input methods (radar, camera, laser, GPS) and be able to determine if it needs to do a controlled stop or able to continue to the next dest for service.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
They already are in typical driving conditions.... once they can deal with the weather and severe changes in conditions/visibility.. just a matter of time and programming. There isn't anything we do a car that we can't teach an auto.
Which is another reason why Ontario is a great place for this research as we get all kinds of weather here. Not to mention the very strong engineering, software and high tech base here.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Because it will never happen. Fully automated cars will require closed networks of vehicles in constant communication. Who pays when a car crashes? Incremental improvements, sure, fully automated? Forget it.
Silicon Valley loves it. It opens up a whole new world for them. The insurance companies believe there will be fewer claims. I can't begin to describe all of the situations in which the Forward Collision Alert (FCA) and Lane Keep Assist (LKA) in my 2015 regularly mess up. Maybe there will be fewer accidents and fewer claims but I suspect those claims will be larger with an increased fraction involving personal injury. A driver paying attention can anticipate and brace for an impact. Not so a driver who is not paying attention.

KNS

·
Registered
203 Posts
Silicon Valley loves it. It opens up a whole new world for them. The insurance companies believe there will be fewer claims. I can't begin to describe all of the situations in which the Forward Collision Alert (FCA) and Lane Keep Assist (LKA) in my 2015 regularly mess up. Maybe there will be fewer accidents and fewer claims but I suspect those claims will be larger with an increased fraction involving personal injury. A driver paying attention can anticipate and brace for an impact. Not so a driver who is not paying attention.

KNS
the FCA and LKA we have are two relatively simple systems that are intended as an assist. Relatively few components, with no redundancy and little processing power behind them.

As for bracing... that's usually considered to be worse for the occupant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts