GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM and LG Chem will invest up to a total of $2.3 billion through a new, equally owned joint venture. The JV will establish a battery cell assembly plant in northwest Ohio. Groundbreaking is expected to begin in the middle of next year. It will create 1,100 jobs.

It will have a “more than 30 gigawatt hours with flexibility for expansion”.

Said GM CEO Mary Barra, “Combining our manufacturing expertise with LG Chem’s leading battery-cell technology will help accelerate our pursuit of an all-electric future."

The companies sad that they were on track to be below $100/kWh.

GM said that the batteries will power “an all-new battery-electric truck coming in the fall of 2021" and is expected to supply the batteries for GM’s upcoming electric vehicles based on its new BEV3 electric platform, including a new electric Cadillac.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2019/12/05/gm-joint-venture-lordstown-batteries-lg-chem/2610738001/
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/05/gm-announces-its-own-battery-gigafactory-with-lg-chem-30-gwh-of-capacity-below-100-kwh/

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Excellent news. LG Chem is one of the leading battery manufacturers for industrial and commercial use.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This is great. Well I don’t think that makes up for all the jobs lost there with the shutdown of the Cruze plant, but that’s at least a significant number.

I think GM is serious about pursuing EVs, it’s just they’re not interested in selling electric cars as opposed to monster upscale EV SUVs right now. I still think it’s a huge mistake for the domestic companies to get away from car production. You’ve got to get people to believe in your products at the entry point. I hope I’m wrong about that, but I think it was a big mistake.

But again, back to this development, it is a welcome thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
So are they building a new facility, or are they going to move into the old Lordstown plant they sold to Lordstown Motors Corp/Workhorse? When GM sold that plant to LMC I was confused because they didn't any hope of filling that 6 million square foot facility. A LMC spokesman said the plant will more than assemble LMC trucks. They will also build most of the major components that go into their trucks like motors, propulsion electronics, wireing harnesses and batteries. Could these batteries also be used in GM vehicles. I think it is possible that GM may have done more than simply sell a large unused plant to LMC, they may be partnering somehow to jointly build EVs.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
441 Posts
Good news along with the GM EV truck announcement.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are they building a new facility, or are they going to move into the old Lordstown plant they sold to Lordstown Motors Corp/Workhorse? When GM sold that plant to LMC I was confused because they didn't any hope of filling that 6 million square foot facility. A LMC spokesman said the plant will more than assemble LMC trucks. They will also build most of the major components that go into their trucks like motors, propulsion electronics, wireing harnesses and batteries. Could these batteries also be used in GM vehicles. I think it is possible that GM may have done more than simply sell a large unused plant to LMC, they may be partnering somehow to jointly build EVs.
New facility. Lordstown was sold to Lordstown Motors Corp. I've seen nothing on GM being otherwise involved in the new Lordstown Motors Corp

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
She also said it would supply the 20 new EVs to be introduced in the next three years. Sounds like GM is keeping things close to the vest until an EV marketing push sometime in the future rather than leaking things out in dribs and drabs.

In the same article I read, Piedmont Lithium is developing a Lithium mine near Charlotte, NC.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yeah it embeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts