GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
20,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM CEO Mary Barra said the company would spend $27 billion on electric and autonomous vehicles through 2025 — up from the $20 billion previously announced.
Also by 2025, GM will launch 30 new electric vehicles around the world, more than two-thirds (20+) of which will be available in North America. They will include Cadillac, Buick, GMC, and Chevrolet, and will come in a range of prices.

GM anticipates getting 450 miles of range out of its Ultium batteries on a full charge, up from the previous estimated range of 400 miles.

GM said it was already working on the second-generation version of Ultium, which is projected to deliver “twice the energy density at less than half the cost of today’s chemistry.” GM said that this next-gen version of Ultium will cost “60 percent less” than batteries in use today. The company is prototype testing this next-generation battery technology, which is expected to be available mid-decade.

·
Administrator
20,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GM spending on EVs set to outstrip outlays on gas, diesel technologies. It plans to make 40% of its U.S. entries battery-electric vehicles by the end of 2025. Besides GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, there will be three other GMC Ultium variants, including an EV pickup; four Chevrolet EVs, including a pickup and compact crossover; and four Cadillacs. Additionally, Buick’s EV lineup will include two Ultium-based EVs.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I bet their truck divisions are screaming bloody murder. They won't have nearly the profit margin.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
I bet their truck divisions are screaming bloody murder. They won't have nearly the profit margin.
I’ll bet they will add $20-40k on top of their silverado prices to get that margin.

I can’t wait. Since buying my volt in 2023, new EV’s and hybrids have been released at a glacial pace. I;m saving my pennies for that Lyriq with the option to change my mind if something more intriguing comes along.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think I heard Sandy Munro say the parts cost of a P/U is like 13K. The EV trucks revealed so far are much more lifestyle vehicles than work trucks, heavy haulers. I'll excerpt a post from the cybertruck forum as an example. Note that the "sails" that add strength and rigidity to the CT exoskeleton would interfere with 5th wheel trailers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The middle and top part of Cybertruck towing range (7,500 - 14,000 lbs) is not very useful when most RV trailers in that range use 5th-wheel hitches Also many farmers/ranchers & other commercial use gooseneck hitches. Cybertruck needs a way to support 5th-wheel/gooseneck hitches.

They use these hitch because the trailers sway less and excess sway is a cause of a lot of accidents by vehicles towing trailers.

5th-wheel/gooseneck hitches put the transferred trailer weight load between the tow vehicles wheels (before rear wheels) which puts much less stress on the tow vehicle than what rear ball hitch does.

When towing you have to make very wide turns. With 5th-wheel/gooseneck hitches turning circle is reduced.

Most U.S. states have shorter length limit for total vehicle + trailer length.
5th-wheel/gooseneck hitches setups can be 2-3 foot shorter which means you could have 2-3 feet more of usable space.

5th-wheel/gooseneck hitches setups have smaller gap between tow vehicle high point & front of trailer which should be more aerodynamic & reduce some of the range degradation when towing.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yes, the writing is on the wall. BC is banning the sale of ICE cars by 2040, some places, 2035, others 2030. If you can't sell your cars/trucks by law, it won't matter how many or how badly people want them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
This is encouraging news, but I'm not excited just yet. I have over 140k miles on my 2013 Volt and 135k miles on my 2006 Silverado diesel pickup. I drive the pickup any time I need to haul or tow something, the Volt for general purpose transportation. An electric Silverado that has an advertised range of 400 miles would probably pull my gooseneck trailer 150 miles on a charge, which would satisfy all but the most extreme hauling tasks that I normally do. This would make me seriously consider going back to being a "drive the truck everywhere" guy and stop paying insurance on 2 vehicles. Unfortunately, all the electric pickup plans I've seen so far only give a tiny little bed that is useful only for people hauling a bag of mulch home from the Home Depot. They waste all that length on huge crew cabs that I have no use for. I have REAL truck needs and cannot do what I do with anything less than an 8 foot bed. Well, I suppose I could hook up my gooseneck trailer to haul 4x8 sheets, but that seems silly when I have a perfectly good tailgate 97.5 inches behind the cab. As soon as they build an "affordable" electric pickup with an 8 foot bed and rated to pull a 14k lb gooseneck, then I'll get excited. I can buy a lot of diesel fuel for what they are pricing these early EV trucks at.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
I can buy a lot of diesel fuel for what they are pricing these early EV trucks at.
this will always be the case. The ROI of saving fuel vs. buying any newer vehicle vs. maintaining an older one never works out.

Maybe a Ford Raptor vs Fod F150 EV night be equivalent cost. It would be awesome if they offered an electric drivetrain for the Raptor trim. I might switch from a lifetime of GM products for a Ford Raptor EV

on the flip side, none of the GM full-size packages interest me, though the Colorado ZR2 is cool

·
Administrator
20,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have REAL truck needs and cannot do what I do with anything less than an 8 foot bed. Well, I suppose I could hook up my gooseneck trailer to haul 4x8 sheets, but that seems silly when I have a perfectly good tailgate 97.5 inches behind the cab.
I have used my Bolt many times to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall. I made two plywood trusses that are screwed to each other and attached to my roof rails. They form a 48x96" bed for sheet goods. Granted, the carry weight is way less than a truck bed and I'm not driving this Cessna at highway speeds. but it works well for my occasional sheet good needs. I have also used it to transport sheets of 30x72" glass as well as a 44"x 78" mirror. I always overdo the lashing so it takes a bit longer to setup and drive, but these are once in a while needs, so no big deal.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
I have used my Bolt many times to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall. I made two plywood trusses that are screwed to each other and attached to my roof rails. They form a 48x96" bed for sheet goods. Granted, the carry weight is way less than a truck bed and I'm not driving this Cessna at highway speeds. but it works well for my occasional sheet good needs. I have also used it to transport sheets of 30x72" glass as well as a 44"x 78" mirror. I always overdo the lashing so it takes a bit longer to setup and drive, but these are once in a while needs, so no big deal.
I use my suburban 3/4 ton for 4x8 sheets except when I have too many passengers to take out the 3rd row seats and fold down the 2rd row seats. In that situation I have a 6x16 utility trailer that work if there is no chance of rain and a 6x12 covered trailer when there is a chance of rain. My life is all about overkill...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts