GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://evtechpatents.com/?p=189

An interesting Volt-related patent application published today that may show an important tool that GM is using to refine future models of the Volt and especially the future size of the Volt’s battery. The application is directed to uploading driving habit data from a plurality of vehicles to a remote server via a telematics system (e.g., such as GM’s OnStar) and then providing alternate fuel-related analysis based on different vehicle profiles (e.g., an EV with a 40-mile range). The application contemplates that this analysis may be valuable to vehicle designers or to operators for comparison purposes.

I could see GM using this with non-Volt OnStar users to show them what their current driving habits would look like/cost if they drove a Volt.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've always suspected this is the real reason the Volt has 5 years of OnStar service. To some this may be an invasion of privacy, but fI don't think so as I see no reason to attach this data to personal information. For me, I welcome this data collection as it provides valuable data that will be used to improve the Volt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a problem with it either, as it will lead to improved vehicle models down the road. Also remember that other telematic services are just getting going and therefore GM may be the only company with access to this kind of info on this scale. That must be a significant competitive advantage, at least in the short term.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
In the case of the Volt, I believe the data GM is getting validates their assumptions for the design. They speculated years ago that the Volt would reduce gasoline consumption per driven miles by 80%, and the statistics are bearing that out.

The 80% reduction estimate was achieved by a convolution of the probability density function of the miles driven per day by all drivers, and a 40 mile AER graph. Yes, it's also true that 80% of drivers travel less than 40 miles per day on average, but that is a separate statistic from their estimation that, in aggregate, Volt drivers, on average, would use 80% less gasoline.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That was one of the good features of OnStar and I thought and they did use it to collect valuable data on EV's, performance, and how they are used. The 5 year OnStar was a wise move by all involved. Gave GM great info and allowed the customer a great feature too. So great they are using it and hope to see some good data from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts