GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2017 Premier which I bought from dealer with 5K miles. I've put on 2,500 miles and one thing I've noticed is a small rattle behind the infotainment system. I can repro the issue if I drive to 40 mph and let off the accelerator let is coast to 30. My wife and others aren't bothered by it but I always want things perfect. Since I hit 7,500 I had the dealer rotate my tires today and apply recall updates and mentioned rattle where the Tech was able to hear issue. Basically, they said under warranty they would have to pull out the dash and ensure everything is fastened\secured.

They also made a point to say that doing this isn't as hard as it used to be in older cars. At the same time, this is basically a brand new car, maybe I should get over the small rattle as monkeying around could cause more issues than the one I'm trying to sort out. (maybe I need more time with EV car, my first one) In my last car, 2001 BMW, there was so much noise from engine \ HVAC I never would have heard something so minor or thought to complain about it.

Should I leave it be or take the dealer at their word that they can resolve without issue? Thoughts?

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think I had the same rattle(s). There were two rattles. One was the collision led near the windshield. Stuffed some foam under it and that helped. The other was the A/C duct that leads to the vent on the right side of the steering wheel. The curved triangular dash panel that terminates behind the infotainment screen can be popped up just by lifting. I stuffed some foam between the duct and a frame support to hold it still. 95% of the dash rattle is gone. My OCD can live with it now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
rudedog830, would you mind posting a picture of which panel you popped up on the dash? I think I have the same rattle and it's driving me nuts. Thanks

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Fix it. That's what the B2B warranty is for.

Use it while you can, as it's amazing how much LESS the rattles bother me once I have to pay to get rid of them...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Having driven older American cars I am something of an expert on fixing rattles. Step 1 is to recreate the rattle, preferably in your driveway using the heel of your hand to tap around the suspect area. With luck, you then you figure out the best access. In addition to the great advice already mentioned, consider, if you have to, removing the glove compartment (required to change the cabin air filter) for a look back there. All this, after your dealer gives up, of course.

·
Registered
24 Posts
rudedog830, would you mind posting a picture of which panel you popped up on the dash? I think I have the same rattle and it's driving me nuts. Thanks
Will try to post a picture tomorrow. In the meantime, it is the T-shaped piece - - the bottom of the T ends behind the infotainment screen and the top runs along the windshield. It just pops up behind the infotainment screen. I don't think you can pop it completely off without removing the A- pillar covers which I did not want to mess with (airbags). You can get to the a/C duct by just popping up the middle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
By the way, when you buy the premier at $35-40k, you expect quality fit and finish. But what you get is a Chevy Cruze with an EV power train. Love the tech, but I am totally unimpressed with the interior quality. Disappointing.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I don't get the appeal of a silent car, I always listen to music...However, if zero rattles is important, have them fix it...As others have pointed out, this could create additional rattles and dealer visits but so what? If it's important to you have them get it right...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sometimes, you don't want music, news, or talk radio. For those times, silence. Of course it's not complete silence, just sounds drastically different than a typical ICE vehicle. I love dry, summer nights for driving around in pure quiet, no traffic to deal with. So relaxing.

Then I stop at random bar/fast food joint for some artery-clogging food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts