GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm a Gen1 volt owner that would like to have apple carplay integrated in my car's system, but doesn't want to shell out several hundred bucks for existing workarounds.

What I want to try: one can buy an adapter with a cracked apple carplay auth chip for $40 from a company called CarLinKit. The CarLinKit dongle is not a plug-and-play solution for gen1 volts since it can only run its carplay crack on an android-based head. A cheap Android box (maybe an HDMI stick or a droid TV box?) can be had for ~$30. maybe I could run carplay by connecting my phone to the CarLinKit dongle to the droid box? Won't be too expensive to try and I can always return if it doesn't work, I suppose.

I get stuck trying to figure out how to send it to the gen1 volt display -- I'd like to be able to toggle between "normal" volt mylink OS and my proposed android carplay module. Putting in a HD-Link device would make this conceptually straightforward: HD-Link would allow us to easily switch between the two, and carplay could be displayed via iphone --> carlinkit --> droid box --> hdmi port on HD-Link --> GVIF cable --> volt display. The HDLink is like $300 shipped, though. It looks like a solid product but I can't justify dropping $400 total on carplay.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to wire an android box to the display with the right cables -- a GVIF splitter with a toggle switch + an HDMI-to-GVIF conversion cable or board for the box would be sufficient to get the job done without the expensive HDLink, assuming the android box works with the carlinkit device, which I haven't verified yet. My biggest issue here is that I am sorta clueless when it comes to GVIF hardware, and I have literally no idea what to do with GVIF cables or where to find them. My googles have been mostly fruitless thus far. Indiwork, the company behind HDLink, has an HDMI to dual GVIF splitter but they don't sell it as a standalone. Maybe I could get them to sell me a couple? If I can get carplay running without the HDLink, it'll definitely cost less than $150, maybe even less than $100, which would be swell. I'll update if I make progress.

Does anyone see obvious holes here? Anyone tried something similar? Looks like lots of folks have set up android mirroring and carplay but I haven't seen anyone do it successfully without an HDLink. Any pointers or good resources for GVIF cables are appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm working on getting this exact setup going in my 2014. The good news is, the (wireless) CarLinkit dongle works great with my iPhone XS Max, to the CarLinkit dongle, going to a Raspberry Pi 3 running Emteria OS (Android for Raspberry Pi). So that's one step.

The next step is getting the touchscreen in the car to control the iPhone. I'm building an interface that passes the touchscreen signals to the radio as normal, but when switched, the module will redirect the touch signals through a chip to convert to USB as a mouse, which will hopefully work to control the Emteria OS as a mouse/touch. In theory, this should work to control your iPhone in CarPlay mode.

And the video out from the Pi is going to the HD-Link, going to the car GVIF video input. I think this entire setup should work, but I'm still in the design/testing phase...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm working on getting this exact setup going in my 2014. The good news is, the (wireless) CarLinkit dongle works great with my iPhone XS Max, to the CarLinkit dongle, going to a Raspberry Pi 3 running Emteria OS (Android for Raspberry Pi). So that's one step.

The next step is getting the touchscreen in the car to control the iPhone. I'm building an interface that passes the touchscreen signals to the radio as normal, but when switched, the module will redirect the touch signals through a chip to convert to USB as a mouse, which will hopefully work to control the Emteria OS as a mouse/touch. In theory, this should work to control your iPhone in CarPlay mode.

And the video out from the Pi is going to the HD-Link, going to the car GVIF video input. I think this entire setup should work, but I'm still in the design/testing phase...
Do you think you could use the UART that the HD-Link uses for navigator interface?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts