GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sure, and all ICE owners should sue all car manufacturers, because when they run out of gas on the highway, the car slows down to a stop "unexpectedly"

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
This i3 propulsion reduced "issue" was known when the car came out. It was discussed here. I suspect the real problem is owners who don't read the owners manual. Of course, ignorant drivers can't possibly be at fault, it must be the fault of someone else.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You can get an i3 that runs out juice and needs a tow truck, or you can order one that runs out juice and has a 33 HP motorcycle engine and just over a gallon of gas that will get you somewhere you can recharge at.

You get to decide which one you want.

I hope the judge is not as stupid as the bozo who filed this suit.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
The old saying "you can't fix stupid" applies

Not sure if it applies to the automaker, the buyer, or the legal firm taking the case?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think I am on the side of the lawsuit. "without warning" is the key word phrase here. I get all kinds of bells and whistles when I am running low. these cars supposedly have a means to extend the range by a significant amount of time. so to go into limp home mode without a single warning could be pretty dam shocking. the electronics of this car is certainly advanced enough to do a better job then to just until it happens.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, it's the going-70-on-I95 and then suddenly going dangerously sluggish without warning that's the issue here. Really, really simple to fix. However it shouldn't rise to the level of lawsuit, unless there's been a concerted effort on the part of owners to get this fixed, with BMW turning a corporate deaf ear.

Auto manufacturers are going to have to get on the easy firmware upgrade wagon, like so many other outfits. If nothing else, with many dealers being post-literate and unable to track written instructions the friction in that department alone is absurd. But they turn like the Exxon Valdez. Not exactly agile. It'll take some punishment to wake them up.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
33HP at today's SAE spec would be more powerful than a 40HP VW Beetle.

The cars would be a slug, but not really dangerous. Kind of like driving a gas powered motorhome, or towing a heavy trailer with an older V8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts