GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was curious if demand for Volts in the Atlanta area is on par w/ the rest of the country or not. In other words, are dealers moving Volts in Atlanta?

Some dealers I've been talking to have been telling me about the great demand they have for the volts ... encouraging me to make hasty decisions because they're moving them so fast etc. I have a feeling they're just blowing smoke up my rear, but thought i'd check in here for others opinions.

Basically I'm interested in a Volt and from what I can tell demand is pretty low everywhere. Therefore paying MSRP would be crazy especially w/ dealer holdback.

note: new to forum, searched didn't find an answer, may have placed this in the wrong sub-forum...if so, mods please move.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Depends what dealer you're going to really. Some are moving them a lot faster than others. Personally I have been seeing a lot more Volts around town lately, when from Nov. - Feb. I saw none. I always assume anything a dealer says to me is exaggerated or just a total lie. I just got my Volt from Jim Ellis who has been moving them pretty quickly. During the whole process the sales person had called to tell me while I was thinking about some of the terms they sold the car ... but they could get the exact same one through dealer transfer if I was interested and ready to make the deal. Obviously I thought this was a tactic to pressure me to make a decision. I had written down the vin of the original car so when I went to the dealer to see the one they got through dealer transfer I checked the VIN, different car. They had 6 on advertised specials in Feb. and sold all of them. They sold at least 3 this week that I know of. There have been a lot of new Volt drivers coming to the message board in the last three weeks. Jim Ellis got in at least 5 new base model Volts this week. So yeah, the demand is rising but you definitely shouldn't ever pay MSRP for the car. I leased a base model 39,995 MSRP volt and got it for over a thousand less than the MSRP with very little negotiation and a really good amount for my trade-in. There are TONS of Chevy dealers in the Metro area and even more if you go OTP 20 minutes or so. If you feel like the dealer is pressuring you too much and you don't like the vibe, go somewhere else!

To summarize ... yes, demand is going up in Atlanta but that doesn't mean you should pay MSRP!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The Volt is just another car to sell to the dealer. You questions really aren't Volt specific, but just general how to be an informed buyer

This is a good place to start, Edmunds has lots of information like invoice pricing, dealers in your area what the advertised deals are and more

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/first-time-new-car-buyer-guide.html.

As how Volts are truly selling, that information comes out about the second of day every month for all car sales in the US by all manufactures. Some of us are tracking inventory and production and it would appear there is a major increase in sales in the last 2 weeks as inventory's are not increasing anywhere near the know production of the Volts

My 2 cents is with production about to stop, gas pricing rising, more people than not are making the decision to buy a volt and with the production shutdown starting next week, its highly unlikely in the next 3 months one will find better selection and pricing that there is now.

In the end, only you can decied if the deal is right for you, good luck!

·
Registered
718 Posts
lets just say this, i went to almost EVERY dealer in Atlanta. none of them would budge on the price (more than 3k off msrp), so i went elsewhere (out of state) and got a MUCH better deal..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lets just say this, i went to almost EVERY dealer in Atlanta. none of them would budge on the price (more than 3k off msrp), so i went elsewhere (out of state) and got a MUCH better deal..
Toasty, just to be clear, you're saying ATL dealers would go as low as $3k off MSRP but no lower? thnx

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
FYI, 3K is below dealer cost, and about a month ago, some dealers liquidated there inventory. I'm pretty sure that will mark the low point for Volt pricing. Anything 1500 under MSRP is doing very good as dealer cost is about 1800 under MSRP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes but don't overlook dealer holdback. isn't it 3% of MSRP for chevy? that's significant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts