GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting specificiations for the Genset. I'm a design engineer who builds machines for a living and have been interested in converting my '66 Mustang to a gas/electric hybrid for about a year. The Mustang not really designed for the project, having a light weight frame and poor aerodynamic qualities.

It takes about 25 KW to overcome drag forces at 70 mph for a small not particularly aerodynamic car. The only way to do the project is to get a light weight portable generator which apparently doesn't exist. The best I've seen is a 1 liter that puts out 18 KW continuously with 29 peak KW. And this unit is a monster, weighing 525 lbs. and 50" along the longest axis. I've pretty much scuttled the project.

Anyway, it's made me keenly interested in the Volt genset. The only specification I've seen is 1 liter putting out 54 KW. Are these peak KW? What's the weight? Size?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The thread Karik references has nothing to do with the generator. It only concerns the ICE that is attached to it. The only references to the generator has been 45kW continuous/ 53kW peak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts