GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Volt or others of its type are likely to have large batteries and ICE re-charging capabilities, how about an option to include an invertor to provide a a few KW at 110 VAC as an emergency power source? That would save having to buy and keep fueled/cleaned a standby home power generator here in the hurricane zone. I assume the Volt's batteries are in the 200 - 300 V range (requiring a non-standard invertor, but not rocket science) and can supply perhaps 50 KW hrs. Then the gas engine would start and take over.

Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would like a few 110 outlets

The battery will be able produce ~45kW sustained so I can't imagine any house hold appliances will be a problem. I would like to see an outlet in the trunk, two for the back seat and two for the console. I'm sure there are safety concerns with spilling lattes while driving, and of course grounding.

Incidentally the field of rocket science stands to benefit tremendously from light weight, high capacity batteries.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You'd need the right controller but that should not be that hard to incorporate. PG&E has been showing a plug in Prius that works this way for over a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and More

Thanks all. I've always been curious as to how much energy the batteries plus engine can provide. This relates also to a question of how much horse power is needed for cruising - say at 50 MPH. Does anyone know the HP vs speed curve for a car like this?

Getting back to stationary use, I wanted to make some ballpark estimates. If we assume 50 kwhr in the battery, and the engine comes on at 50% charge and extends range by roughly 4, then the battery plus engine (with full tank of fuel) can supply 100 kwhrs. (Hopefully the cooling system can sustain stationary use.)

In emergency mode a refrigerator, a few lights and a radio or TV should take about a kw on average. Hence you would have about 100 hours or around 4 days of emergency living on 1 tank of fuel - pretty neat! Brewing a pot of coffee should around 0.5 kwhr or about 0.5% of your supply.

Feel free to improve my estimates. Steve

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd like to be able to do something like this for camping... Would be cool to have a break out inverter to run small appliances, lights, etc. off from the Li-ion battery.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts