GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Generation 1 Cabin Heat (Using Electric Only) Measured

"Volt heat sucks", "Volt heat is great", "Is this the way my heat should be?" We hear this every winter.

So... Testing time

2013 Chevrolet Volt (OHM-RIDE)
Starting Internal Ambient Temperature 37 Degrees Fahrenheit (2C) as measured on floor near accelerator pedal.
  • Vehicle completely cold soaked, Battery fully charged.
  • Climate control set to"Comfort"
  • Temperature set to "HI"
  • Fan set to HIGH/dash vents only.
  • Air from outside (not recirculated), so pulling in cold air from outside.

0:10
Vehicle started out pulling 7KW from the battery according to the dash display.
Initial air temperature from the dash vents almost immediately went above ambient to 42 Fahrenheit (5C)

2:00
Battery draw reduced, flickering between 6KW and 5KW
Vent Temperature 56 Fahrenheit (13C) and climbing fast

5:00
Battery draw reduced to 4KW
Vent Temperature 75 Fahrenheit (24C) and climbing fast

8:00
Battery draw holding at 4KW
Vent Temperature stabilized and holding at 106-114 Fahrenheit (41C-46C)

From the 8 minute mark until I terminated the test at 15 minutes the output remained in the 106-114 Fahrenheit range though the battery draw did drop as low as 3KW for brief periods.

So in summary, if you crank your Volt's heat and you aren't getting results like this.... something is wrong and you should get it repaired.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You definitely need the recirculate off (bringing outside air in) if you have a fog problem. This is the same with every car. Human beings give off a lot of moisture. Dogs really do even more. The Volt isn't different in this respect. If there are other sources of moisture like wet outerwear or shoes, it's even worse. Or several people in the car. This is really very normal.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You definitely need the recirculate off (bringing outside air in) if you have a fog problem. This is the same with every car. Human beings give off a lot of moisture. Dogs really do even more. The Volt isn't different in this respect. If there are other sources of moisture like wet outerwear or shoes, it's even worse. Or several people in the car. This is really very normal.
Where did you get that I have a fog problem? This is a post to give actual numbers as to what heat the Gen 1 can put out. Nothing more, nothing less. Drawing from cold external air was intentional as it should in theory have made it harder for the Gen 1 to produce cabin heat.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I find the heat in my volt just fine,,but then again,cold doesn't effect me all that much,,till it gets to about -5-10 below.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I don't have a problem, but my wife has to crank the heat. Engine off, defog on, she can't get really warm, especially at highway speeds.
I rarely have passengers in my car,,wonder how the other occupants would feel.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Might suggest changing the title to say (electric only) to avoid confusion with battery heating, which is a whole other subject :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Funny but I uploaded about the most boring video ever made regarding something similar (electric heat test) almost 4yrs ago after having the K10 CHCM replaced on my Gen1 under warranty!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
878 Posts
So we can deduce from these values that the heater is blowing about 150 CFM of air.

Given: 3.5 kW net heat to the air (assuming 0.5 kW is going to fan, pump, etc.)
110 deg. F average discharge air temperature
37 degrees F average inlet air temperature (ambient - ventilation is all-outside air position)

CFM = Q (BTU/hr)/(1.08 x delta T deg. F) or (3.5 kW x 3413 BTU/kWh)/(1.08 x (110-37) = 152 CFM

For defogging - if you hit the defog/defrost capacitive touch button - the AC will usually turn on to drop the air temp to 33 degrees and condense as much moisture out of it as possible before then reheating it. That kicks the kW up another 1-2 kW while running the AC. The snowflake icon will show "on" when this is operating. It saves energy, though, as the defog is about twice as rapid rapid as compared to heat-only.

·
Administrator
20,229 Posts
Thanks, Dutch.

I think most who complain about heat have the A?C set to Econ, low fan, low temp. If you want heat, just change to Comfort and crank the fan and temp.

·
4,866 Posts
A similar test with fan on "Auto" may be interesting. It's supposed to limit fan speed a bit until the coolant warms, then start blasting it. You'd probably see the max temp at the vents occur more quickly.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
A similar test with fan on "Auto" may be interesting. It's supposed to limit fan speed a bit until the coolant warms, then start blasting it. You'd probably see the max temp at the vents occur more quickly.
The fan does exactly that. That's the same way the fans in my Caddys worked.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Thanks, Dutch.

I think most who complain about heat have the A?C set to Econ, low fan, low temp. If you want heat, just change to Comfort and crank the fan and temp.
And even with Dutch's system of "all the stops out", it's still 5 minutes to the temperature that someone might register as "warm" sticking their hand in front of the vent, and 8 until "hot air comes out". Which double-underscores "precondition, dammit".

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Agree with OP. My observations are similar in my 2013 Volt. If you are not getting warm air from your vents within a few minutes in EV mode (assuming outside temp is 40s or lower and cabin temp is set to ~74F, Comfort mode), something is wrong with the heating system. Get a competent dealer to inspect and fix the issue, which could be as software programming or replacement of a part or two. It should be covered under warranty.

·
Administrator
20,229 Posts
And even with Dutch's system of "all the stops out", it's still 5 minutes to the temperature that someone might register as "warm" sticking their hand in front of the vent, and 8 until "hot air comes out". Which double-underscores "precondition, dammit".
I can say the Bolt EV warms up very fast. Haven't done the testing like Dutch did on his Volt, but it WAY faster than an ICE and also faster than the Volt in my experience.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I can say the Bolt EV warms up very fast. Haven't done the testing like Dutch did on his Volt, but it WAY faster than an ICE and also faster than the Volt in my experience.

Having the latest generation of Eberspaecher electric heater equipped will probably do that!:D

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THIS... may be the most amazing post I've seen in a while.
thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I like the reference for Engine cooling fan, Spal automotive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<Sigh>.... Okay, while visiting family for the Christmas Holiday I did give in and buy this heated blanket for my Mother (73) who insists on sitting in the back seats, but was complaining about being cold. (LOL)

Happy Holidays everyone.

·
Administrator
20,229 Posts
<Sigh>.... Okay, while visiting family for the Christmas Holiday I did give in and buy this heated blanket for my Mother (73) who insists on sitting in the back seats, but was complaining about being cold. (LOL)

Happy Holidays everyone.
I have one of those for the Volt. the Bolt does not need it (heated seats plus heated air vents at the feet). But you did the right thing for your mother. Get her TWO if she wants :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts