GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Lot of history up in Oshawa. I’m sure almost all of our family’s cars growing up were made there. Terrible news for the workers and their families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
No official announcement yet.

GM declined to comment ahead of an expected announcement.
GM needs to have its newly planned EV line up in place and being manufactured and sold before making announcements like this related to the Volt. Or they are looking to take another PR hit (I see fossil fuel agenda based F O X news is already jumping on this).

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
The end of the Volt was announced long ago (1-2 years ago). GM said there would be a replacement but there would be a gap of a years or so.

DETROIT/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - General Motors Co said on Monday it will cut production of slow-selling models and slash its North American workforce in the face of a stagnant market for traditional gas-powered sedans, shifting more investment to electric and autonomous vehicles.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
More here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...orkers-halt-production-five-plants-us-canada/

So the plant producing the Volt and some Cruzes in Detroit (Hamtramck) will be shutting down.

If they are committed to EVs I can’t see them stopping Voltec production. Wonder where it will be moved? They will need that kind of a power plant for the large vehicles for sometime I would think, until battery costs come way down.

I hope the workers will be allowed to find other jobs, although having to move from one plant to another is a big deal for families....

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
More here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...orkers-halt-production-five-plants-us-canada/

So the plant producing the Volt and some Cruzes in Detroit (Hamtramck) will be shutting down.

If they are committed to EVs I can’t see them stopping Voltec production. Wonder where it will be moved? They will need that kind of a power plant for the large vehicles for sometime I would think, until battery costs come way down.

I hope the workers will be allowed to find other jobs, although having to move from one plant to another is a big deal for families....

I read there will be more jobs available in Silao building pick-ups.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
More here

Volt is dead March 1, 2019. Whether any other vehicle picks up the Voltec drive train remains to be seen.
https://insideevs.com/general-motors-shut-down-chevy-volt-factory/

·
Registered
974 Posts
I read a number of these reports just now with no mention of the Volt.

The plan may signal the demise in the U.S. of several passenger cars that have been struggling, including the Chevrolet Cruze, the Chevrolet Impala and the Cadillac XTS.
-- Source USA Today

With discussions about GM investing in Autonomous Vehicles, Ride Sharing, and EV's going forward.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Given that the plant is not operating at anywhere near capacity (losing money), and given that the Impala is not selling enough to keep the plant profitable, the Volt is collateral damage.

The shift by U.S. consumer preferences have been away from passenger cars to larger, more comfortable SUVs and pickup trucks has been swift and severe, leaving automakers scrambling to readjust.

Of coarse it doesn't help that steel tariffs have taken a $1B bite out of profits.

So consumer preference has shifted to SUV and trucks. The Volt is neither.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Manufacturing jobs are rarely, if ever, transferable. A worker would have to independently apply at the new plant, and move his/her family on their own.

·
Registered
974 Posts
M
If this is the case, then they probably won't restart the Volt at another plant in its current form. If it morphs into an SUV, then that might be the next Volt we see, at some completely different plant. I still think the name "CrossVolt" is kind of cool, and sounds way different than Bolt to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Manufacturing jobs are rarely, if ever, transferable. A worker would have to independently apply at the new plant, and move his/her family on their own.
Depends on what the UAW contract permits on this....

UAW contracts have had such provisions, but I don’t know what the relocation rights are now. In any event, very likely if they decide they wanted to try to move to another facility to work, they would be on their own in terms of moving their families.

The salaried workers cut are likely simply out of luck.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Depends on what the UAW contract permits on this....

UAW contracts have had such provisions, but I don’t know what the relocation rights are now. In any event, very likely if they decide they wanted to try to move to another facility to work, they would be on their own in terms of moving their families.

The salaried workers cut are likely simply out of luck.

Well, at least the stock price is up. So investors are doing just fine...workers not so much. Isn't that what they told us would happen with the huge tax cut? Oh, wait a minute........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Well, at least the stock price is up. So investors are doing just fine...workers not so much. Isn't that what they told us would happen with the huge tax cut? Oh, wait a minute........:rolleyes:
The reason for a company to exist is to make money for the owners (stockholders in a public company) not to create jobs. If they are making money, the jobs will be there, if they aren't, the jobs won't be.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Volt is more a casualty of being a sedan than anything else. Like Ford it appears the GM will transition away from sedans as a major component of their offerings. The Cruze volume probably helped a lot with the Volt's bottom line being they are so similar but in this announcement we see the trimming of the not only the compact category Cruze but the full sized Impala and its Buick sister.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
So I just read a story in USA today that in addition to the Cruze the Impala is going away also. Will they still offer the Malibu?

Also it says in this article that they will also kill off the Cadillac XTS and Buick Lacrosse and that the CTS is going to be killed off after mid 2019 in the US.

Which, if any, GM passenger cars are going to be left?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The reason for a company to exist is to make money for the owners (stockholders in a public company) not to create jobs.
I didn't suggest that the tax cut had anything do to with making money or not. The pitch was that the tax cut would create jobs.
Where are they?

If they are making money, the jobs will be there, if they aren't, the jobs won't be.
This is absolutely no longer true. The goal of a company is definitely to make money (though many companies are changing that as well because they realize they have a more holistic societal responsibility). To make the most money you have to bring in the most revenue, and have the least expenses. Workers are the greatest expense of most manufacturing companies. When all the workers are gone and the robots do everything, the company can be extraordinarily profitable. The problem arises when there are no wage earners to buy your product anymore. Robots don't buy cars. Way back when, Henry Ford knew that better than just about anyone. He increased worker pay so they could buy his cars. Despite raising his expense profile, not only was he profitable, he became one of the richest men in the world.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
They're keeping the Bolt though for the sake of compliance... it is actually same as small cars...
The main reason is they get more point credits for the Bolt than the Volt. Even China gives more credit to a full BEV than PHEV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts