GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Nice to see. However, must bring the car to the dealer... Too bad that GM cannot yet do over the air updates. That is important for automakers to solve.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Nice to see. However, must bring the car to the dealer... Too bad that GM cannot yet do over the air updates. That is important for automakers to solve.
I agree but GM is the opposite of Tesla...Tesla doesn't have the manpower or possibly a local service center to do an in person update...Another thing that GM really needs to do is make cars that are upgradable, this includes allowing MY16 Volts to add ACC and the MY17 CT6 plug to have supercruise...

GM dealers want you in their dealership, expose you to looking at other cars perhaps for someone else in your family...Additionally the person doing the update most likely gets paid and/or some sort of credit for doing the job...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have contacted 3 local dealers in orange country area and none of them were aware of the update and did not have sense for when it would be available.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I scheduled mine for Android update here in San Diego. He said they have the "CD" and that it would take maybe a half hour.
Welcome to the 20th century. :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice to see. However, must bring the car to the dealer... Too bad that GM cannot yet do over the air updates.
I can certainly understand the reluctance there. If something can connect to the internet, it can be breached. Infotainment systems are tightly connected to the car's running systems (ECM, BCM, etc). If it's connected, you can hack it.

I would resist, absolutely and to my dying breath, allowing a car's hardware to touch the internet, even indirectly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can certainly understand the reluctance there. If something can connect to the internet, it can be breached. Infotainment systems are tightly connected to the car's running systems (ECM, BCM, etc). If it's connected, you can hack it.

I would resist, absolutely and to my dying breath, allowing a car's hardware to touch the internet, even indirectly.
You mean like the WiFi all of our cars came with...?

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
968 Posts

So would you would allow your internet connected phone to interface with the car?

I guess connecting to the control modules are a step above since it interfaces with cars programming and could be more of a place to do damage. The infotainment system is most likely sepaerated from cars main function but still we know how persistent hackers can be just ask Jeep.=)

·
Registered
156 Posts
You mean like the WiFi all of our cars came with...?

Best,
Rick
What's funny about this is, if your car has wi-fi, hackers don't even need to go over the internet - just having a wi-fi signal is enough to hack into the car.

Plus, the fact that we have auto-start, etc from our smart phones shows it's internet connected, even if it's through OnStar. In fact, wasn't there something about a year ago where a guy had found out how to start a Volt remotely...?

Stealth edit - yep. http://mashable.com/2015/07/31/gm-onstar-hack/#WEaS5UZJuEq1

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is not easy to hack a car. No one should worry about their in car 4g (yet) I work in IT security and for fun hack all of the systems that I find fun and vulnerable. From key cards to commercial parking garage scanners I capture most frequency's decipher and duplicate. Most modern cars are not possible in my advance novice experience and no one that I know of has been able to touch GM due to OnStar involvement. As for Jeep yes but not for long and what you can do is minimum. If you watch too much TV news and have seen an OBDII Bluetooth adapter left unsecure open to pairing then you deserve to be hacked.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello Has anyone been able to get Google maps on thier car 2013-2015 Car screen with the my link. With either USB or Bluetooth.

I use the bluetooth with my android Blue sport phone, which is good. But I would think there should be a way to display other applications. Maybe if the WI Fi is used it google maps will work thur that???

So only works with the or some 2016/2017's right now???

How about if you get a 2016/2017 radio?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts