GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have completed my first winter with General Altimax Arctic snow tires on OEM rims.
The size is 215/55 R 17 94Q
They are much quieter than my stock, factory supplied goodyear tires.

The range decrease is from 40 miles to 35 miles (approx a 50F day). Of course the range decreases more as the outside temperature goes down and the battery becomes less efficient and the cabin heater is in use.

Traction- it was great. very surefooted. I'm not sure if it is due to the heavy weight of the car or the tires but it definitely had more traction than my wife's minivan (that had older snow tires with less tread).

I usually get 42 mpg in ICE/HOLD mode on the highway for long trips (with the stock goodyear tires) and I would see 34 mpg (with the Altimax Arctic Snow tires) at speeds of about 72 mph. Of course driving in snow and slush can decrease that to 28-32 mpg-depending on the depth of the road slush/snow.

I would recommends these tires.

I should add that all winter tires have a softer rubber compound and I expected the decrease in range-I just wanted to quantify it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had good experience with the Altimax's as well, but the fuel economy hit is heavy. I now run Michelin xi3's, they have substantial less of a MPG hit than the heavy studdables like the Altimax's.
That being said traction is king, and the Altimax's definitely are better than the Michelins in deep snow and slush, maybe not on hard ice though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just finished our third season on these tires on my wife's Camry hybrid. There is a mileage hit, but they wear very well, are pretty quiet, and gave great snow and ice traction. I'm currently running the General Altimax RT-43's on both my Volt and the Camry. Happy with them, they're wearing well, are pretty quiet, and for M&S tires have great snow traction. I ran them all winter on my Volt and had good snow traction.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have them on my car as well. Very happy with them, especially for the price (I have 16" tires and wheels from TireRack with no TPMS, was about $600 IIRC) Taking them off this week and switching back to OEM tires. Did take a hit in range, but with charging at work was still able to drive gas free for most of the winter.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
And like the others, I also ran the Altimax for the first time this year. Purchased from Tirerack on black steelies. Not studded. Took em off at the beginning of March. Almost no wear. Traction was great. I've driven on snow and ice for decades and had several versions of Blizzaks and last two sets of snows were Michelin Ice3, and I can say these are very good. Had to work to make the wheels slip. On the OEM tires, which I've been on this month, they are easy to get to slip.

As for mileage, yeah, there might be a 5 to 10% hit. All-in-all, they provide great traction at a bargain price, and I'd buy em again when these wear out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I drove 42.4 miles on these today. I suspect if you're seeing big mileage hits it has more to do with your wheels if you're running steel than with the tires. I run 40psi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts