GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using Apple CarPlay and iPhone 6 plugged into the USB port, my radio will switch over to “IPod” away from the radio station I’m using. I did a search of the forums and what I came up with is to let the radio head unit go through its initialization stage, get all the way through the splash screen before connecting the iphone.

I’m thinking this may be a “fix” as for several days after Google Maps and Waze came online for CarPlay I didn’t experience the problem but I think the difference is that I may be connecting the iPhone too quickly the last couple of days. Obviously I’ll test this out tomorrow and see if I have better luck. It’s pretty annoying to have to switch back to the home screen, tap the radio icon and retouch the radio station only to have it flip back to “IPod” and silence a few seconds later.

Anyone else deal with this annoyance and have any ideas how to address other than the wait to connect iPhone as described above?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gave it a shot today with waiting for the radio unit to completely boot up before plugging the USB cable in, no dice...still switched to “iPhone” or “iPod” and away from the radio station I was listening to. Late in the day the issue went away, back to normal operation not switching to the iPhone.

As I mentioned above, for many days it worked just fine, no issues. I wonder if the update to iOS 12.1 may have had something to do with it. I’m guessing this issue is very isolated given no responses to this. Maybe there is a setting in my phone that is messing with the system. Not sure. Hopefully it just returns to normal operation and solves itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has happened to me for the entire time I’ve owned the car. The only reliable work around I’ve found is to unplug the phone when I’m in a radio mood.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after doing some internet searching I do see this is a problem for many others. I’m pretty sure as I mentioned above that this started as a result of the update to iOS 12.1. Basically the Volt now sees my iPhone as a hard drive, and gives priority to it as such and switches audio mode to the iPhone/USB interface and away from the radio stations. Every time. I can click a radio station after it does this, the station will play for a few seconds then it switches back to the iPhone/iPod music app.

I think others will likely start seeing this happen to them more as:

1) they update to iOS 12.1 and
2) more people start using CarPlay as Waze and GMaps are now available.

It sucks as Waze and GMaps are so nice to use on the center screen, but the radio literally becomes unusable while you are using CarPlay. I’ll continue searching for a fix, but as of now have not come across one.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Well after doing some internet searching I do see this is a problem for many others. I’m pretty sure as I mentioned above that this started as a result of the update to iOS 12.1. Basically the Volt now sees my iPhone as a hard drive, and gives priority to it as such and switches audio mode to the iPhone/USB interface and away from the radio stations. Every time. I can click a radio station after it does this, the station will play for a few seconds then it switches back to the iPhone/iPod music app.

I think others will likely start seeing this happen to them more as:

1) they update to iOS 12.1 and
2) more people start using CarPlay as Waze and GMaps are now available.

It sucks as Waze and GMaps are so nice to use on the center screen, but the radio literally becomes unusable while you are using CarPlay. I’ll continue searching for a fix, but as of now have not come across one.
If your favorite radio station(s) may be available on TuneIn you can stream the radio station audio program, it is the message that is important not the medium, from within CarPlay.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having charging problems with my iPhone XS Max in my 2017 Volt Premier. It will charge for 10 seconds and then stop for 3 seconds, then again charge for 10 seconds, etc. (each time chirping as it begins charging again) using the cigarette lighter power and a high quality Anker charger and an Apple cord. My previous iPhone X had no such problem. I've determined that it's the combination of this phone and the volt charging that's the problem. My wife's phone has no such problem using the same charging setup; and we've traded chargers yet results are the same. Anyone else having such issues?

More on topic for this thread, because I can still charge the phone using the Volt's UBS socket, I've done so but am growing resentful of the automatic switchover to CarPlay when all I want to do is charge my phone while also navigating using Apple Maps or Waze—NOT using the rather lame central display screen on the Volt. My phone mount is via the A/C vent just to the right of the steering wheel, and I don't want to have to keep glancing over to the dash center for my info and the center screen is not user friendly while driving if one wants to reroute or make changes. How does one avoid CarPlay altogether?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I'm having charging problems with my iPhone XS Max in my 2017 Volt Premier. It will charge for 10 seconds and then stop for 3 seconds, then again charge for 10 seconds, etc. (each time chirping as it begins charging again) using the cigarette lighter power and a high quality Anker charger and an Apple cord. My previous iPhone X had no such problem. I've determined that it's the combination of this phone and the volt charging that's the problem. My wife's phone has no such problem using the same charging setup; and we've traded chargers yet results are the same. Anyone else having such issues?

More on topic for this thread, because I can still charge the phone using the Volt's UBS socket, I've done so but am growing resentful of the automatic switchover to CarPlay when all I want to do is charge my phone while also navigating using Apple Maps or Waze—NOT using the rather lame central display screen on the Volt. My phone mount is via the A/C vent just to the right of the steering wheel, and I don't want to have to keep glancing over to the dash center for my info and the center screen is not user friendly while driving if one wants to reroute or make changes. How does one avoid CarPlay altogether?
If you never want CarPlay to start you should be able to turn off CarPlay using the iPhone Settings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are correct, although I did try using CarPlay on the Volt center screen and was surprised that it looked and worked quite well. The only problem, as a few others have pointed out, is that one can not maintain the radio or other displays, such as energy consumption, battery and MPG while using CarPlay for Maps navigation. So, I shall follow your advice and disable CarPlay in the iPhone settings and continue to view my Navigations on the phone screen and thus have full function of the center display for its other useful features.
Thanks, jcanoe, for your response to my question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So as most have found the software for Carplay has a mind of its own. I have found that if I do the following, I rarely see my iPhone on the display as iPod attached. (sometime - o well :). I have a X max phone, 18 Volt with all of the toys.

When I shut down the car I do not unplug the phone prior to opening the door so everything shuts down. (radio is on the last channel)

Then when I enter the car I plug in my phone prior to pressing start and booting up the infotainment centre.

I find that most of the time the radio is still on my last channel.

Even if I pay attention to my method sometimes it doesn't seem to work....or maybe it is me. It's annoying but I hear the same problems from friends with other cars - what I really don't get is all of these cars have good bluetooth systems for calls and I still see way to many people holding and using their phone in the car. Sheesh

Love my Volt - she may not be perfect but she sure is sweet and fun to drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts