GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Gen2 Volts have been in the wild for a few years, what's the verdict on reliability between generations?

My impression is that the Gen1's are more reliable because they were overbuilt to some degree (if they had reliability issues it would have been a PR disaster -- it was a sensitive time for GM back in 2009/10 and they absolutely HAD to nail the execution of the Gen1 Volt). Gen2 has had some cost reduction/optimization and the focus was improved performance.

Is this true? Are the Gen2's as reliable or more reliable than the Gen1's?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've leased a 2011 Gen 1, a 2014 Gen 1.5 and now a 2017 Gen 2. The Gen1 and 1.5 were perfection. No issues. The Gen 2 I've not had any reliability issues but when running in charge sustaining mode, I've got this odd almost like the transmission is slipping feeling when the gas engine is running mostly when driving around 40 MPH. There's no performance problems. I can drive for long distances at highway speeds with no issues. Just not a smooth ride that I'm was used to with the Gen 1 and 1.5 I had.

Also when creeping with my foot on the brake I get this odd feeling that the brake pads are grabbing then releasing, grabbing then leasing. Again not what I had experienced with the Gen 1 and 1.5.

Other than that the efficiency of the Gen 2 seems to be much better than the Gen 1 and 1.5 I had.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Having owned three Volt's (2012, 2013 and now a 2017) I'd say all three have been a joy to own and not much to report in terms of stuff breaking or not working. But the Gen II picks up where the Gen I left off and improved on a great vehicle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've leased a 2011 Gen 1, a 2014 Gen 1.5 and now a 2017 Gen 2. The Gen1 and 1.5 were perfection. No issues. The Gen 2 I've not had any reliability issues but when running in charge sustaining mode, I've got this odd almost like the transmission is slipping feeling when the gas engine is running mostly when driving around 40 MPH. There's no performance problems. I can drive for long distances at highway speeds with no issues. Just not a smooth ride that I'm was used to with the Gen 1 and 1.5 I had.

Also when creeping with my foot on the brake I get this odd feeling that the brake pads are grabbing then releasing, grabbing then leasing. Again not what I had experienced with the Gen 1 and 1.5.

Other than that the efficiency of the Gen 2 seems to be much better than the Gen 1 and 1.5 I had.
I think this behavior in CS mode is due to the transmission trying to aggressively couple the engine to the wheels whenever possible. Sometimes it seems to alternate between the different modes a bit. There should probably be a tad more delay, but it probably points to your throttle inputs continually cycling in and out of different CS transmission configurations.

My wife does this on her Honda Pilot where it can deactivate 3 cylinders at light throttle. She's constantly going back and forth between 3 and 6 cylinder operation, whereas my throttle inputs are much more consistent and smoother and it stays in 3 cylinder operation much more.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've owned a gen1 and a gen2 and they both seem like very nice cars. I did have an early life gen2 failure on my hybrid control monitor or some such thing that threw an error code driving home on a road trip. I took it in the next day and it took a day for the dealer to diagnose and replace the part.

For both gen1 and gen2, another surprising weak spot is the 12v accessory battery having a loose connection. Since the 12v battery never has to drive a high current load, if there's a loose connection it can wreck havoc until it fails. the 12v battery was fine once I tightened the connector.

Otherwise, both cars are very reliable, and of course the gen2 is an improvement in many important ways.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If by "reliability" you are talking about long-term longevity--only time will tell.

If you're talking owner-reported problems, there's been a steady decrease in the Volt's 90-day JD Power Score since 2011. I believe it's at a "2" now for 2017.

Anecdotal reports here on the site aren't a good way to check. A buddy at work bought a 2016--no issues outside of recalls until just recently his EGR Valve failed at 80,000 miles. Another friend with a 2017 -- no issues at all. My 2017? 3 unscheduled dealer visits in the first 2 months for various issues (CEL, failed temp sensor, chargeport light wouldn't turn on, cruise control wouldn't engage, etc.). There are still some unresolved problems on my car like squeaky door panels, popping shifter, and piss-poor paintwork on the piano black rear, afterfire on ICE, etc.

My own OPINION going from the 2013 to the 2017 is that my particular Gen 2 suffered with unacceptable quality control issues coming off-the-line that should have been resolved before the car was ready for sale. Long term, this may make no difference and I could have another 100K trouble-free miles after some of these concerns are finally worked out. Hope so.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I echo others concerns with regards to the chuggle, or lack of smooth driving, whenever the ICE is running. 40-60mph seems to be the chuggle sweet spot for me, I'm afraid eventually something's going to give. At 88 miles round trip to work each day I feel a lot of chuggled driving every day of the week.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We had a 2014 Volt and at 40,000 miles or so traded it in July 2016 for a 2016 Volt Premier. We had an issue with the 14 Volt screen freezing in which under warranty was replaced by GM. Our 16 Volt had several software updates, one being the engine chuggle. When the update was done I did notice the engine running smoother and the MPG on gas had a noticeable increase, which continues to this day.

The 16 Volt has far more range and mpg (cs mode) than our 14. Now with 40,000 miles on our 16 Volt time will tell how it holds up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Arguably the first gen Denso electronics are more reliable and are certainly more tunable than the Siemens second gen units. First gen bikes also have one of the lowest drag coefficients available in a sport bike. Second gen units have no published drag numbers and probably never saw the inside of a wind tunnel. Second gen bikes do have a better flowing single spark head and larger valves (beginning around 06 or 07 I think) and stronger connecting rods. Second gen 05 and up motors also have one piece camshafts that do not spin lobes like the first gen pressed on cam lobes can. Second gen also has 57mm TBs instead of 51mm and slightly higher flowing injectors with an arguably better spray pattern.

Best of all worlds in my opinion is a big valve gen2 single spark engine (with a big bore kit) in a gen1 frame running gen1 electronics (or an Ignijet ECU) a set of RSV4 Ohlins forks and a Penske triple clicker shock with lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Two 16s here. 18k and 12k Miles respectively. No issues aside from software updates. We very, very rarely use the gas engines, so not much to report on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would have to agree with VoltenRock's post above. It is much too early to get usable long term reliability statistics for the Gen 2 that would stand up to any sort of scrutiny to enable comparison to the Gen 1. Most of the posts on this thread are anecdotal only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts