GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Glad to see all the effort and great info people are contributing here. I've been browsing the gm-volt forum since picking up my used 13' Volt a week ago. I've already found lots of useful information including a fix for my mis-behaving navigation. I'm going to be installing a backup cam using the IW03GF which integrates with the factory touch controls and will have a factory feel with the option for more infotainment expansion/add-ons.

A little about me: I'm working on finishing my BSEET (electronics engineering technology) degree while working as an electronics repair technician for the air force. I've have access to some interesting resources and my education + tinkering background which I plan to employ on producing useful enhancements for the volt, Gen1 and Gen2 (as soon I or a friend owns one). May be reverse engineering some OEM equipment with a Diagnosys Pinpoint for better integration for things like Android Auto or Apple car play, Hey Google, Windows Cortana, Siri, Amazon Alexa, etc., etc.

Of course, I'll post anything useful that I discover, create or integrate.

In the meantime, I'll share the cover art for my records/reciepts, etc binder:

View attachment RecordsBinder.pdf <- .pdf of the Cover art for the binder pictured below.

Volt_RecordsBinder.jpg

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I've got a 2014 (late build) with the 2015 battery. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found another "add-on" nobody really "needs". There is a certain tablet made by Lenovo running android with a built in pico projector. I believe they were called the Yoga 2 Pro??

Not 100% on the model, but I want to redirect turn by turn nav directions into the windshield with some ALR paint/polarized film. A.KA. Volt heads up display. "Hudway" app (iOS / android) might be compatible since it's an android tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, I've learned the Gen1 Volts infotainment OS is penguin powered. GNU/Linux. Can anyone provide me with more information on this? Anyone successfully decompiled the kernel or file system or resources? Any dumps?

I want to focus on plug and play mods for myself and the community so, integration with the native OEM system may become necessary depending on the mod/enhancement. I want to start laying the groundwork.

Later on, I'll mess with the embedded microcontrollers in the ECU, ECM, etc. The computers that run the drive and battery systems. I want ALOT more experience with the volt before I go there looking for trouble. Ha.

Thanks in advance for any info, links, library's, forum posts, etc.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?268129-2012-unofficial-hold-mode-mod

There are other ways, the insight scene took nearly a decade of work around devices before controllers and onboard software became possible to replace.

What I am saying is that even if Penguin hasn't been decompiled, you can still make progress mapping all the cars internal commands and intercepting them.
You can in other words work with what already exists.

I'm not sure if Mudder or some of the electrical engineers on Insight central would be willing to help but worth a try as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?268129-2012-unofficial-hold-mode-mod

There are other ways, the insight scene took nearly a decade of work around devices before controllers and onboard software became possible to replace.

What I am saying is that even if Penguin hasn't been decompiled, you can still make progress mapping all the cars internal commands and intercepting them.
You can in other words work with what already exists.

I'm not sure if Mudder or some of the electrical engineers on Insight central would be willing to help but worth a try as well.
Very True. Not sure if this is a good example or not, but I just finished installing a 3rd party piece of hardware to intercept the video and touch signals from the radio screen. Adds a reverse camera with dynamic steering lines, hdmi inputs for chromecast, roku, mini-pc's, etc.

I intend to use it for the reverse camera, android auto and to experiment with Cortana in the car (Microsoft).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDCjorVRMI

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very True. Not sure if this is a good example or not, but I just finished installing a 3rd party piece of hardware to intercept the video and touch signals from the radio screen. Adds a reverse camera with dynamic steering lines, hdmi inputs for chromecast, roku, mini-pc's, etc.

I intend to use it for the reverse camera, android auto and to experiment with Cortana in the car (Microsoft).

https://youtu.be/uv2t3Ssvdnc
(I'm sorry if this gets duplicated. This is my third time to try to reply to this thread.)

Thanks for the video. Your process looks well thought out but I have two questions.

One, does removing the sill plate around the hatch latch provide good access to the back of the camera cables or will addition contortions be required?

Second, and this is more of a curiosity, but what is below your volume knob. My car doesn't have that. They look like three buttons.

Anyhow, thanks again. It's nice to get to see what one might encounter when digging into a car interior.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(I'm sorry if this gets duplicated. This is my third time to try to reply to this thread.)

Thanks for the video. Your process looks well thought out but I have two questions.

One, does removing the sill plate around the hatch latch provide good access to the back of the camera cables or will addition contortions be required?

Second, and this is more of a curiosity, but what is below your volume knob. My car doesn't have that. They look like three buttons.

Anyhow, thanks again. It's nice to get to see what one might encounter when digging into a car interior.

Thanks,
Dan
The plastic fascia near the hatch latch provides access to a small 1" hole with a rubber grommet in it. This hole leads to the hollow space in the Bumper. This is where the wires will be fed through.

The thing below my volume know is just a magnetic bar for holding up a cellphone. I've forgotten the name/brand of the phone cases that come with those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts