GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, how do we see how much unsold inventory there is for the Gen1 Volt? I did a search using Autotrader and came up with ~3650, but not sure how accurate this is. Cars.com is showing 4,450.

I'm just curious after all of the news when GM built up inventory to 6000 units in May before stopping production. I could subtract the sales figures for May/June/(and soon)July but still would like to know if there is a legit source for this info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Cars.com shows 4449, and GM probably has a thousand or two sitting in holding pens not in these numbers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, you replied while I was updating my post w/this. How legitimate is that number though?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Why would GM still be holding any? They stopped production a while back.
My company is holding close to 500 vehicles and production stopped a year ago on many of the varients, unless it is lotted it won't be sold until active demand occurs.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My company is holding close to 500 vehicles and production stopped a year ago on many of the varients, unless it is lotted it won't be sold until active demand occurs.
I'm not sure what kind of vehicles you sell, but if you have a newer(greatly improved) model ready to arrive at a cheaper price, why would you purposely hold onto any inventory? The only possible reason to have any inventory is if dealers are just refusing to take them.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Why would GM still be holding any? They stopped production a while back.
GM ships when dealer place orders for more, if there isn't dealer demand, they sit in holding pens until there is. Usually, something like large rebates or special discounts will then get dealers to take more. The dealer have no reason to have them sitting on the lots unsold.

·
Registered
499 Posts
GM ships when dealer place orders for more, if there isn't dealer demand, they sit in holding pens until there is. Usually, something like large rebates or special discounts will then get dealers to take more. The dealer have no reason to have them sitting on the lots unsold.
And you think GM built a few thousand random extra cars without dealers specifically requesting them?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you think GM built a few thousand random extra cars without dealers specifically requesting them?
Didn't GM build a bunch of inventory before stopping production in May? I don't know if they were spoken for, but they knew they would need enough to last them to September/end of the year.

·
Registered
985 Posts
GM built enough GEN1s to meet the demand + a little buffer.
They would rather have all of them sold before the GEN2 arrive than having the need to deeply discount the remaining GEN1s sitting in hold.
Remember.. GM operates to make money , not to please consumers. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
GM is infamous for it, yes. Granted, not with the Volt.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Absolutely, its almost certainty. Part of the issue is what is the expected monthly sales, its been all over the map. The top sellers, like Keys and Rydell keep getting in new inventory and post this fact every couple of weeks, so GM has more, begging for dealers to take them.

Also, GM has to wind down there internal stock of parts, its most likely they made the call for final suppler builds 6+ months ago or more when they were selling 2X higher unit sales. Those part have close to NO value, unless they make cars out of them, so selling at steep discount is way better than having 25 year supply of parts on hand that will never sell.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wouldn't be a surprised if there were some held back. Otherwise, it would seem like a much larger inventory and lower transaction prices even more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts