GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil 2 weeks ago. Have only driving electric miles since, other than when first getting the oil to flow through the filter before resetting the oil life indicator. Yet today, I noticed that the meter shows 98% enigine oil life. What gives?

I hardly drive any more since getting a Buick tourX for the longer trips, the Volt is relegated to short stints to and from the grocery store and PO Box, all within EV range and the ICE has not run since the oil change.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
815 Posts
The OLM also relies on time. Even if the ICE doesn't start.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,656 Posts
Maybe the calendar still progressed even when you didn't run the ICE. Two weeks is about 2% of 2 years (2/104). Regardless of usage, the Volt will count down to an oil change after two years, I checked the calendar to see whether your post was an April Fools post, but it would appear NOT.

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the calendar still progressed even when you didn't run the ICE. Two weeks is about 2% of 2 years (2/104). Regardless of usage, the Volt will count down to an oil change after two years, I checked the calendar to see whether your post was an April Fools post, but it would appear NOT.
I haven’t posted an April fools posting in quite a few years.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
815 Posts
Three weeks ago, I got the "One Item needs attention" notice on my app when the OLM hit 20%. Today, with no ICE use since, the OLM is at 17%.

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Three weeks ago, I got the "One Item needs attention" notice on my app when the OLM hit 20%. Today, with no ICE use since, the OLM is at 17%.
I wonder if I park the car and disconnect the 12v battery for a few months whether the OLM will still wind down. Long ago, when I was putting 20+k miles per year on my car, I didn’t mind changing the oil when the OLM said it was time as I was obviously using the ICE all the time. Now that I’m almost all electric, it seems like a waste of perfectly good oil life. Alas, changing oil every few years isn’t the end of the world. All the strange things happening all at once (pandemic, fires, floods, extreme heat, general divide and anger does seem like the end of the world….

·
Registered
47 Posts
With respect, nobody is forcing you to change the oil if you think it's fine. You could reset the oil life to a higher percentage (100% or whatever) and then change it whenever you feel like. Sounds more convenient than putting the car in storage to keep the monitor from counting down!

I change the oil and filter in my two Gen2 Volts at about 18 months and it came out of each one looking used. After 10 years how many changes do you save by stretching it out a few months? In my case it would probably be less than one.

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With respect, nobody is forcing you to change the oil if you think it's fine. You could reset the oil life to a higher percentage (100% or whatever) and then change it whenever you feel like. Sounds more convenient than putting the car in storage to keep the monitor from counting down!

I change the oil and filter in my two Gen2 Volts at about 18 months and it came out of each one looking used. After 10 years how many changes do you save by stretching it out a few months? In my case it would probably be less than one.
True, it’s more of an academic exercise than anything I’d actually do, performed in the interest of science

Reactions: gussack

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The 2012 Volt has no time tracking ( late model 2012 may ? )
and there is also a reset to 100 % option

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I changed my oil 2 weeks ago. Have only driving electric miles since, other than when first getting the oil to flow through the filter before resetting the oil life indicator. Yet today, I noticed that the meter shows 98% enigine oil life. What gives?

I hardly drive any more since getting a Buick tourX for the longer trips, the Volt is relegated to short stints to and from the grocery store and PO Box, all within EV range and the ICE has not run since the oil change.
The oil change timer is for 2-years/24 Months/104 Weeks of oil life. So 1 Week = ~1% of oil life.

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The oil change timer is for 2-years/24 Months/104 Weeks of oil life. So 1 Week = ~1% of oil life.
I recall changing my own oil for the first time (prior to the 100k battery warranty, I had the dealership do all the oil changes), it felt like yesterday, but it was definitely before the pandemic. I wish I kept better records but I'm estimating I probably only drove the car for less than 2-3k miles last year where prior years I was putting well over 20k per year.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I changed the oil June 2019, and drove so few gas miles that the monitor system timed out at the full two years. I had used Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a Mobil 1 premium filter and it was still almost clear on the dipstick - seemed like a waste, but I changed it in June using the same products. At least Mobil 1 seems to run summer rebate programs that cut the cost quite a bit. The monitor is counting down at the 1% per week rate since the change.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I wish I kept better records but I'm estimating I probably only drove the car for less than 2-3k miles last year where prior years I was putting well over 20k per year.
2800 miles for me, from July 2020 to July 2021. 1000 miles in 2020 before then, including the three months of non-plague times.

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2800 miles for me, from July 2020 to July 2021. 1000 miles in 2020 before then, including the three months of non-plague times.
Now that I don't have a long commute, it actually opens up the possibilities of literally any car. I've always said, these EVs are getting released at a glacial pace. 8 years after buying my Volt, I'm still waiting for something intriguing to buy. I gave up waiting for an EV and got myself a used Buick TourX to hold me over until the Lyriq arrives or something else that piques my interest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me what ICE is

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Immigration and Customs Enforcement. 😎

Reactions: DMM1906

·
Registered
39 Posts
Drove my car right after oil change on a 3K+ trip almost all on mountain mode and most where the speed limit was 75 so the engine was really reved up most of the time. When I returned the oil life meter said 95% remaining. Six weeks later and another 2K (mostly electric though) and it is at 85%.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts