option for engine only
more power
less buggy software
on the fly ,updates
locking diffs
more power
to be able to do a 4 wheel drift
and until such time , I will be happy driving my volt

The Volt does not need more range or power. It needs a lower price (and a little more legroom in the back). If you are going to put in the expense and effort of adding a separate ICE power system, go ahead and use it. 45 to 55 miles is the sweet spot for a PHEV; if you want more range, get a pure EV. I really don't see a Gen III Volt as being significantly different in size or performance than the Gen II. (Oh, there will be newer electronics, self driving, etc., but such developments apply to any car.)

For better or worse, the Volt and Bolt are designed as small Chevys. GM has to embrace that, let Tesla expand the market, and steal their customers. ("Can't wait for a Model 3? Is the Model 3 trunk too small? Look at what we've got!") And in the meantime, expand their selection of electric vehicles. In 10 years the PHEV will be largely moot for it will be cheaper to build a fully electric vehicle by then.

I'm a Volt fan and I hate to say this, but in order to increase sales, the next Volt needs to have a Tesla or toyota emblem on the hood.
Given Tesla's backlog for the Model 3 that appears to be the case. The backlog is so out of proportion to sales of other EVs. At 500,000 bookings, even if half are false that's around a one year backlog. Bolt sales are no where near that rate.

Given Tesla's backlog for the Model 3 that appears to be the case. The backlog is so out of proportion to sales of other EVs. At 500,000 bookings, even if half are false that's around a one year backlog. Bolt sales are no where near that rate.
That problem goes away if GM decides to badge a Cadillac Bolt.

Musk said the backlog is 18 months if you order a "3" today. Looking at Tesla stock makes it clear that the market is not confident in Tesla's ability to keep up, or compete with GM/Volvo/MB/others in the accelerating electric market. Tesla created a lot of cache when they sold a 100K car. Succeeding in the broader mass market is a lot harder -- and something the big boys are very good at.

That problem goes away if GM decides to badge a Cadillac Bolt.

Musk said the backlog is 18 months if you order a "3" today. Looking at Tesla stock makes it clear that the market is not confident in Tesla's ability to keep up, or compete with GM/Volvo/MB/others in the accelerating electric market. Tesla created a lot of cache when they sold a 100K car. Succeeding in the broader mass market is a lot harder -- and something the big boys are very good at.
Sticking Cadillac badges on Chevys is what destroyed the value of the Cadillac brand. 50 years ago the word Cadillac meant "best", then they started to rebadge Chevys in the 1980s and it lost it's cachet. The premium car market is owned by the Germans, the word Mercedes is used to describe a generic top of the line car now whereas in the 1960s you would have said Cadillac. It will take them another human generation to restore their reputation and they can only do that if Cadillac's are really Cadillac's. Cadillac's efforts in the EV space haven't helped their cause, basically all they've done is drop the Volt drivetrain, which is sized for a small car, into a Cadillac which is a much larger car. The results have been pathetic, the CT6 EV only has 31 miles of range, that's less than the Gen 1 Volt. A Cadillac is supposed to be better than a Chevy not half as good as a Chevy, it's a Cadillac, add $10K to the price and give it more range than a Volt, it should never be worse than a Chevy.

Sticking Cadillac badges on Chevys is what destroyed the value of the Cadillac brand. 50 years ago the word Cadillac meant "best", then they started to rebadge Chevys in the 1980s and it lost it's cachet. The premium car market is owned by the Germans, the word Mercedes is used to describe a generic top of the line car now whereas in the 1960s you would have said Cadillac. It will take them another human generation to restore their reputation and they can only do that if Cadillac's are really Cadillac's. Cadillac's efforts in the EV space haven't helped their cause, basically all they've done is drop the Volt drivetrain, which is sized for a small car, into a Cadillac which is a much larger car. The results have been pathetic, the CT6 EV only has 31 miles of range, that's less than the Gen 1 Volt. A Cadillac is supposed to be better than a Chevy not half as good as a Chevy, it's a Cadillac, add $10K to the price and give it more range than a Volt, it should never be worse than a Chevy.
No doubt GM made some bonehead moves in the 80s. Everything was the same car re-badged back then, but I think they have learned their lesson. (My mom had a couple of Cimmarons -- POS). Cadillac has been rebuilding their reputation for a while. Certainly a Cadillac Bolt has to be more than a re-badge job. But GM has no problem mass producing 200+ mile EVs, so a Cadillac EV with that type of range is easy to see.

If GM releases a Cadillac EV it will have to have all of the driver/passenger comfort and convenience amenities that Cadillac buyers expect. So after adding a power glass roof, power front seating with memory, power steering wheel, driver confidence packages and adaptive cruise control, better quality materials and leather seating such a vehicle will end up being much more expensive than a Bolt, weigh more and use more power to travel from A to B. So it will either need a larger capacity battery, again increasing cost, or else buyers will have to accept less range.

No doubt GM made some bonehead moves in the 80s. Everything was the same car re-badged back then, but I think they have learned their lesson. (My mom had a couple of Cimmarons -- POS). Cadillac has been rebuilding their reputation for a while. Certainly a Cadillac Bolt has to be more than a re-badge job. But GM has no problem mass producing 200+ mile EVs, so a Cadillac EV with that type of range is easy to see.
I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm saying it's not clear they want to do it. The Germans are all in on EVs and they will have a wide selection in a couple of years, GM hasn't given any specifics about future EVs aside from saying the the Bolt is a platform. A Cadillac EV needs to go head to head with a Model S, it can only be a more luxurious Bolt.

If GM releases a Cadillac EV it will have to have all of the driver/passenger comfort and convenience amenities that Cadillac buyers expect. So after adding a power glass roof, power front seating with memory, power steering wheel, driver confidence packages and adaptive cruise control, better quality materials and leather seating such a vehicle will end up being much more expensive than a Bolt, weigh more and use more power to travel from A to B. So it will either need a larger capacity battery, again increasing cost, or else buyers will have to accept less range.
Well let's see. A Model S weighs more than a Bolt, has lots of luxury features, has the same range, and costs $100K. Caddy could do that without blinking. Particularly since GM has a parts bin and manufacturing experience that Tesla can't touch. What Tesla is now touting is their remote service option. Nice, but heck Hyundai has that now too.

If GM wants to, they could bury Tesla. Problem is they are a large bureaucracy, and sometimes their best intentions get lost in the execution if not managed carefully.

Simple in my opinion:
1) 40 miles of AER
2) Mid-sized sedan or Equinox sized CUV with non-compromised cargo/human space
3) Price <$35K base
That's just a hybrid it's not an EV. An EV runs on electricity most of the time and 40 miles isn't close to being good enough to call the car an EV. The next generation of EREVs need to have > 100 miles of EV range (120 would be better), that crosses the threshold where the ICE will never be used for local driving, just for road trips. A hybrid Equinox can reap many of the benefits of an EV, i.e. no gear shifting, good acceleration and good fuel economy without the cost of a big battery and the plugin charger, if they were to offer an EREV Equinox then it should come with a 30KWh battery and it's price is going to be in the mid 40s not mid 30s. Big EVs in the mid 30s won't happen until battery prices are 4 or 5X cheaper than the are now, at that point a BEV drive train will be cheaper than an ICE drivetrain. EREVs will never be cheaper than ICE drivetrains because they are the sum of the costs of an ICE and an EV.

A Malibu Voltec would be a perfect fit for Tesla Model3 cross shoppers. You would want as much range as is reasonable, 53 miles gen2 is perfect but the Volt is a little small for some buyers. The Malibu is bigger; it probably needs a 20kwh battery. Also, you want 0-60 to be in the 6 second range. It also needs to support 32amps like the Bolt.

Perhaps GM should offer a base 2018 Volt for under $29,999. This will be a model with less frills, perhaps because of less weight more electric range, and a few more mpg's on the gas engine. The battery could also be tweaked for maybe another 2 KWH which would increase range to over 60 miles.

Of course a station wagon 2018,(Gen III Volt), would be nice, I would expect more electric range and a bump in mpg's when running on gas.

Put a Voltec drivetrain with a 30KWh battery in that and I'm in.
I'll take one of these. While we are dreaming, my wife will take the Voltec Equinox.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.