GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been considering getting a volt again (I didn't get my order in time for the 2016). There seem to be some good deals on 2017s out there.

But- my concern is Reliability. I've read through this forum, and, frankly, its scaring me away.

I'd love to hear from some owners whether -in net- they've found their experience to be a reliable one that they're pleased with - (or - if they'd run for the hills given another chance)?

What say ye? Are all these tales of problems just part of a natural post-release development process? Or is the Gen II volt a reliability trap?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've had my '16 for nearly two years. I've had minor problems only, of the sort you might expect with any new car, especially right after a model refresh:

1. Defective keyfob, easily replaced by the dealer.

2. Rattles and clunks from the back, which was partly the tire inflater not being secured correctly, partly the charger storage nook cover being loose and needing some insulation, and partly the rear hatch not being adjusted properly. The dealer was useless about diagnosing the latter two, but I figured them out myself and fixed them easily.

3. Some electronics updates that didn't really noticably change anything (other than provide Android Auto).

4. Weird problem with the charge time being overestimated, which can be fixed by disconnecting the 12 V battery and reconnecting it. I am taking it to the dealer to see if they can fix the problem sometime after Thanksgiving. (The car charges normally, so this is a minor issue.)

I suspect that my experience of a few minor issues here and there is much more common than the horrific "shift to park while my wife was on a busy highway" stories that pop up here occasionally.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I've owned my early build 2017 for 15+ months, have driven it 11,5xx miles. 97.2% electric. Aside from 3 recall's I've had ZERO issues with my car.

It just work's.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
It's hard to judge from a forum like this. You will always see more problems than praise as people come here to vent or ask for help. Other than a couple of quirks here and there, my 2017 has been flawless over 15,000 miles.

The Gen II had been average in terms of reliability the last time I googled for actual data.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's hard to judge from a forum like this. You will always see more problems than praise as people come here to vent or ask for help. Other than a couple of quirks here and there, my 2017 has been flawless over 15,000 miles.

The Gen II had been average in terms of reliability the last time I googled for actual data.
I was going to say this too... I've been on multiple car forums, and the overwhelming majority of non-appearance or mod posts were about issues.

Doesn't mean the car is unreliable though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have 7679 miles on my 2017 and so far there have been zero issues. (I am about 39% electric miles). Getting into cold weather now and a possible mountain pass trip with expected snow coming up this week. Knock on wood, I hope this trip goes well and that the Volt can handle winter driving conditions ok.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
almost 40,000 miles on my 2017 Siren Red Chevy Volt. The only issues were recalls and all were done for free. It has been outstanding reliable car. I've been through heaviest of stormy weather and hottest of days, no problem. Am still getting 1,290 MPG.

·
Registered
2018 Premier
107 Posts
I have had my 2017 Premier since July, 2016 (13,000 miles) and have had NO issues. I have had it in to the Dealer for several software updates. I would recommend the Volt to anyone.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've had my '17 since Feb 2016. 18K+ miles, 13K electric. Only been in the shop for software updates and 1 part replacement that GM determined needed to be replaced proactively.
I wish I had the money to buy 2 more today.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was going to say this too... I've been on multiple car forums, and the overwhelming majority of non-appearance or mod posts were about issues.

Doesn't mean the car is unreliable though.
I'll echo that too, as I've seen it here and also on the Fusion forums, where new people would come in to complain about one issue or another, as that's what many do these days when they want to have their say on a matter, they go post online whether cordially or not-so-cordially.

My 2016 Volt now has 56k miles and the only issue it had was the replacement of the HMI module around 25k miles, was covered under warranty and after replacement it needed another visit to replace a wiring harness for the unit (maybe didn't get installed right, who knows), but since then it's been happy trails.

I would get another one without hesitation.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is not a viable solution to your type of question to ask such a question in a user forum. Many posts here are from people who ARE having problems with their vehicle. But think about the tens of thousands of owners who do not have any issues and would not even come to such a forum. Almost all Internet forums tend to be populated with posts from either hobbyists, aficionados, people who never read their manuals, or those with genuine questions and problems.

You really need a lot of long term data to get reasonable statistics for reliability. I guess Consumer Reports might be one such, but even then the Gen II Volt is really only two years old, so I would not put a lot of faith in such short term stats.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've been...underwhelmed with the Volt's reliability (both generations). That said, I appreciate that only GM offers this technological marvel of a vehicle and sometimes such cutting edge engineering brings with it peculiar issues. My Gen 1 stumped dealers with some of its problems, but fortunately very few vehicles offer such a comprehensive warranty coverage. I think all car manufacturers (exception perhaps Chrysler) are fairly close these days with reliability.

Instead of obsessing over anecdotal opinions, I think the bigger question for any Volt buyer is the local availability of a competent Chevrolet service department with trained Volt techs (techs that are not shared with other dealerships). You can't really predict with any certainty whether the Volt you buy new will be one of the many flawless ones most owners have, or require some work like we unfortunate few. Having a good local dealership will make all the difference in your experience.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've had my 2016 for just over a year now and i've put about 10,000 (it had 13,000 when I got it) miles on it. Zero issues. Note, Chevy dealers in general are very good about diagnosing and repairing the Volt (they have dedicated Volt Techs on site) and the warranty that covers the electric motors, battery, and other hybrid components are covered for 8 years/100k miles.

My 2013 has really only had one problem, (driver-side front drive axle replaced) and that was covered under the 5yr powertrain warranty. I also just had the coolant system flushed. That costs $300 but it is routine maintenance that every Volt has to have done on its 5 year birthday.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I actually spoke with someone from GM about this. To put it simply, he stated that the Gen II Volt is built to the same standards as all other GM vehicles in the same model year.

The big thing to remember with the first generation was that it was a big deal, and GM needed a big win after the recession. In addition to trying to save GM's reputation, the Volt was a completely new idea that had never been put into production before. The logic I've heard is that GM knew that electrified vehicles would not take off overnight. In fact, they estimated it would be 10 years before EVs were commonplace. For this reason, they designed the first volts to be standing strong at that 10 year mark, so when the masses begin purchasing EVs, they'll look at their neighbor's old Gen I volt and see that it's performed (hopefully) flawlessly, which in turn will drive more customers to GM to adopt whatever EVs they'll be offering in the early 2020s.

Also, while reading the book Chevrolet Volt: Charging Into The Future, one of the chief engineers even commented on how the Gen I volt was not designed around a specific business case, as with most cars, but had a business case designed around the engineering. Just something I found interesting...

This isn't to say that the Gen II volt is a bad or unreliable vehicle. On the contrary, it has improved on many of the issues found with the first volts, and IMO the styling is amazing. With the increased competition from all manufacturers to begin pushing EVs to everyday drivers, I can't see GM willing to really try and make things too cheap too fast.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a 2016 with 34,000+ miles. All automotive functions (motors, engine, trans, brakes, wipers, lights, ...) have been superbly reliable from day one. But the secondary functions, in particular infotainment and nav, have always been, and continue to be, quite buggy. This despite taking it to the dealership twice, where they did software updates. Also, the interior plastic has a variety of creaks and buzzes that migrate around depending upon temperature and humidity.

Bottom line: The Volt will not leave you stranded.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
666 Posts
Mine left me stranded on Florida turnpike in 100 F weather for 4 hours when I got the dreaded propulsion error due to a blown power inverter unit ( they called it an “F “ module).

Apart from that plus a new tranny 4 months earlier have been problem free apart from updates, & a new seatbelt retractor.

Mine was a Sept/15 production unit, very early unit.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah, don't ask accelerus, Andy00778, or I if you're looking for "the Volt won't leave you stranded" ;)

If it weren't for my friend being able to squeeze me in the back of her car, I'd have been stranded in the Wisconsin Dells last year after a faulty Lithium battery cell turned mine into an insured paperweight. The GM customer service account here had to pull some strings to arrange for my car to be towed to my home dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that asking this question here isn't the best approach. In the end, there's risk with the Volt that you'll have more issues and longer repair times than a comparable ICE car. You'll also be getting a very advanced fuel efficient car.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. For me it was, but I've only had the Volt for a month. Getting over 100MPG where I was getting under 20 before is making me happy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that asking this question here isn't the best approach. In the end, there's risk with the Volt that you'll have more issues and longer repair times than a comparable ICE car. You'll also be getting a very advanced fuel efficient car.

Only you can decide if it's worth it. For me it was, but I've only had the Volt for a month. Getting over 100MPG where I was getting under 20 before is making me happy.
I've had two EV specific problems
(1) a bad hybrid control module (non-emergency fix after check engine light came on)
(2) 12v accessory battery lose power connection. The Volt was in our garage and wouldn't power on; it required a "jump". The 12v accessory battery is problematic for all EV's.

There is a risk associated with the Volt, but probably no worst than with Tesla or a Nissan Leaf or any other electric vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts